Pirates of the Carribean

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Yep, Teague Sparrow. I like to think that the name was derived from Teagan Presley, who played a very nice role in the (amazing) adult film "Pirates" from a couple of years ago! :lol:

Meaning of the crabs be damned, when Jack came riding down the sand dune on the Pearl with his theme blaring, I damn near cried. THAT was modern movie magic, right there. 8) (And if you need meaning, you can go ahead and surmise that Calypso's divine influence was helping Jack get out of Davy Jones' locker - but I'm of the mind that there's no need for that).
"Something inside me....."
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

jjreason wrote:Meaning of the crabs be damned, when Jack came riding down the sand dune on the Pearl with his theme blaring, I damn near cried. THAT was modern movie magic, right there.
hell ya, that was just killer. everyone's just standing there watching that shit and you know the only thing going through their heads was "only captain jack sparrow..."
(And if you need meaning, you can go ahead and surmise that Calypso's divine influence was helping Jack get out of Davy Jones' locker - but I'm of the mind that there's no need for that).
yeah, because they were climbing under her dress and she was petting one at the end of that scene. interesting. hadn't had the proper time to digest it yet.

cutler beckett's lieutenant saying "do you think he plans it all out, or just makes it up as he goes along" was both a nice nod to other swashbucklers (like indiana jones) and a perfect follow-up to "that's got to be the worst pirate i've ever seen"/"that's got to be the best pirate i've ever seen."

the only thing i missed was a new interpretation of the "gentlemen, you will remember this as the day you ALMOST... ...captain jack sparrow."
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Post by Eternal Padawan »

Ha! The significance of Tia Dalma having crabs is readily apparent if you climb down here in the gutter with your mind. :lol:

vynsane wrote: the only thing i missed was a new interpretation of the "gentlemen, you will remember this as the day you ALMOST... ...captain jack sparrow."
I believe that scene was reinterpretated when they are in Beckett's cabin, and Jack says "Then we'll all know you your dealing with!" or something like that. and Beckett goes "Who?"

and Jack mumbles "Captain Jack Sparrow..."
"Say Jim! WHOOOO! That is a bad outFIT! Whooo!"--Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." --Megatron,Transformers: The Movie
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Pirates of the Carribean

Post by anarky »

I finally saw this last night.

Fuck, this movie rocked! This may be the best of the three, and the other two are definitely top twenty. As a trilogy, this may be better than SW or LOTR. It's that fucking good.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Double_G
megatron

Post by Double_G »

anarky wrote:I finally saw this last night.

Fuck, this movie rocked! This may be the best of the three, and the other two are definitely top twenty. As a trilogy, this may be better than SW or LOTR. It's that fucking good.
Seriously, I loved the movie too. I thought it was better than "Dead Man's Chest" and on par with "Curse of the Black Pearl". But the 50-foot Tia Dalma was one of the stupidest things I have ever seen in a movie this year.
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
Sleazer
megatron

Post by Sleazer »

Sorry fellas but these movies suck. The first one was fun but the second one blew...and then they piled on the 3rd one, UGH are these long and fuckin' boring. :bj:

They should've stopped with the first one.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

i love the series. just total fun. and kiera knightly is freakin' hot.

they totally stole that upside-down horizon sunset/sunrise thing from the adventures of baron munchausen, though.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Sleazer, I never thought I'd say this to you, but I BID YOU GOOD DAY! :mad:
Double_G wrote:But the 50-foot Tia Dalma was one of the stupidest things I have ever seen in a movie this year.
Dumber than everything in Transformers? That's pretty harsh there.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Double_G
megatron

Post by Double_G »

anarky wrote:Dumber than everything in Transformers? That's pretty harsh there.
Yes, it was even dumber than Bumblebee peeing on John Turturro (Damn, that's my second Turturro reference in five minutes).

I would have rather seen Tia Dalma "die", sort of like a more subtle, Yoda-style death where she disappears and it's implied that Calypso was free because of the gathering storm. Had they done that, it probably would have saved them a few bucks by not animating all those stupid crabs. That was the only problem I had with the movie, other than some sloppy editing here and there. It took too long to get Jack out of Davy Jones' Locker. Hell, they finally get back an hour into the movie. But the final battle in the maelstrom was awesome. And the actors were great in this. So in all actuality, there's only a few smudges on an otherwise perfect movie.
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
Newsbot
Official anchor of the vynsane 5 o'clock news

Johnny Depp Sets Sail on Fourth 'Pirates' Movie

Post by Newsbot »

Captain Jack Sparrow will soon take to the seas again, and this time he is after the most sought-after treasure imaginable: the Fountain of Youth.

It was announced this week that the fourth installment of Disney's highly successful "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise will begin filming in Hawaii this summer. Johnny Depp once again plays the flamboyant Captain Jack, and Geoffrey Rush reprises his role as his adversary, Barbossa. However, costars Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley are not expected to return.

The film's story is loosely based on the 1987 pirate novel, "On Stranger Tides" by award-winning fantasy author Tim Powers. The book tells the story of a young man -- coincidentally named "Jack" -- who is captured by the pirate Blackbeard and forced to join in the search for the Fountain of Youth.

Ted Elliott, the co-writer of the first three "Pirates" movies, said that the story of the novel just happened to align with where they wanted to take the fourth film. He told Empire magazine, "We wanted to do a story about Blackbeard and the Fountain of Youth, and Tim Powers wrote a book about Blackbeard and the Fountain of Youth... it just turns out that to do that story you would need that book."

Johnny Depp signed on to appear in the fourth movie in 2008, before there was a script. It was announced at the same time he would also be playing Tonto in a film version of "The Lone Ranger," but that project has been delayed until after "Pirates" is finished.

Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom have both said they had no desire to return for a fourth movie. Knightley said in an interview, "It was a completely fantastic experience, and it was an amazingly large portion of my life, but I don't think I need to go there again. I think that it's done." Also, the director of the original trilogy, Gore Verbinski, will not be coming back. He is being replaced by Rob Marshall, the director of "Chicago" and "Nine."

"Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" is scheduled to dock into movie theaters on May 20th, 2011. Johnny Depp will next be seen as the Mad Hatter in director Tim Burton's new version "Alice in Wonderland" coming this March. To see why he says the role is "a dream come true," watch the exclusive interview with him in the player below.

Cue the parade of Sparrows.
Putting the broad back into broadcasting.
Capt. Jack Sparrow
bacon

Re: Johnny Depp Sets Sail on Fourth 'Pirates' Movie

Post by Capt. Jack Sparrow »

Elizabeth... it would never have worked between us darling. I'm sorry... Will... nice hat.
I always liked you.
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

If they can cut out all the unnecessary exposition and heavy-handed, poorly done mythology, cut the running time by at least a half hour, and not cram every single goddamn character and quote from the first film, then perhaps this could be worth watching. (If you couldn't tell, I didn't care for the sequels, even though I love COTBP.)
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Slicker »

I hate when they make a movie and it doesn't have all of the main characters. How are they gonna explain away Elizabeth? I suppose she could be mourning for Will's loss but meh. I absolutely love the original 3 of these but with such a big break in between movies I'm not so sure on this one...
Sweet berry wine!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

Didn't Will become the captain of the Black Pearl or Flying Dutchman or something and get cursed to only walk the land once every ten years? So they could easily explain away his absence with that. They showed Elizabeth and their little gay kid waiting for Will to come back ten years later at the end of the movie, maybe after the credits. I assume this movie would take place maybe just a few years after the last one, so I can kind of see Elizabeth off raising the kid or doing whatever.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Slicker »

Senor JabbaJohnL wrote:Didn't Will become the captain of the Black Pearl or Flying Dutchman or something and get cursed to only walk the land once every ten years? So they could easily explain away his absence with that. They showed Elizabeth and their little gay kid waiting for Will to come back ten years later at the end of the movie, maybe after the credits. I assume this movie would take place maybe just a few years after the last one, so I can kind of see Elizabeth off raising the kid or doing whatever.
Yeah, Will is easily explained away but I never saw that part with Elizabeth so I suppose they could use that too. I'd even be happy with a cameo.
Sweet berry wine!