Superman

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Superman

Post by Tom Foolery »

Except the sound effects establish that he fired one round. On the previous page, the punk with the machine gun is firing "braka braka brakkk"
Batman fires ONE round, "BRAKKK"
There is no damage or hole on the girl thug's body (it's a girl, in the previous pages she's drawn with hips and such) only an 'oh shit' look on her face.
There is ONE hole in the wall next to her head.
What could be interpreted as gore is suspect at best and doesn't match up with the bullet hole. Had he shot her, the gore would be radiating from the bullet hole, not to mention a weapon of that caliber would leave a sizable wound on her person. Especially at that range.

I just don't see it. And I never have. Especially when you factor in the 'Batman doesn't kill' thing.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

All subjective I guess, to me it's pretty clear he killed her - but I didn't automatically assume the "no kill rule". If I had, I guess my eyes would have been opened pretty wide by the sequence, since it would have been that much more meaningful - to me that was just another passage in the book, which I didn't too strongly worry about or consider.

And nerd up on your comic sounds please - BRAAAK is obviously the sound of a .76 second burst from the .50 cal, which would mean at least 7 rounds got down range. The hole in her chest is at least 4 inches wide & is off panel - the exit wound twice that size leading to the huge splash on the wall behind her. Dead as fuck. :P
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Back to the film, for "fun"(that's an actual quote from Snyder) they decided to put a bullet in Jimmy Olsen's head at the beginning of the film. Yeah. I wish I was joking.
Honestly, the more I read, the less I want to watch this. It's like they doubled down on the worst parts of MoS.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

jjreason wrote:All subjective I guess, to me it's pretty clear he killed her - but I didn't automatically assume the "no kill rule". If I had, I guess my eyes would have been opened pretty wide by the sequence, since it would have been that much more meaningful - to me that was just another passage in the book, which I didn't too strongly worry about or consider.

And nerd up on your comic sounds please - BRAAAK is obviously the sound of a .76 second burst from the .50 cal, which would mean at least 7 rounds got down range. The hole in her chest is at least 4 inches wide & is off panel - the exit wound twice that size leading to the huge splash on the wall behind her. Dead as fuck. :P
Later on, Batman takes out the Batmobile/Tank to confront the Mutants in the dump. He has the Mutant leader in his crosshairs and he says something to the effect; "It'd be easy. Just squeeze the trigger and wipe him off the face of the Earth. But that'd be crossing a line thirty years ago I swore I'd never cross." And then he gets out of the Batmobile and proceeds to get his ass kicked by the Mutant Leader.

Now, if he'd just blown a teenage girl away a few hours earlier, he wouldn't be making a big deal about NOT shooting the leader in the city dump. Ergo, he didn't shoot her.

Your witness, Counselor. :lol:

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I do recall the whole "the weapon of a coward" or whatever he wrote in the next part. He likely did fire the rounds into the wall to scare the mutant girl, considering all that. Just goes to show how easily you can miss the nuances of the intended story due to wonky art or looking at it too quickly.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

How do the people at WB look at what Marvel's doing and say, "Yeah, this clearly works. Let's do the opposite!"?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

anarky wrote:How do the people at WB look at what Marvel's doing and say, "Yeah, this clearly works. Let's do the opposite!"?
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks this is some insidious decades long infiltration plot by Bob Harras and Bobbie Chase and them, that was hatched in secret at Marvel back in the 90s when they were on the brink of bankruptcy to ruin DC from within.

In which case they are diabolical geniuses.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

They can honestly throw shit at the wall and see what sticks with properties like Batman & Superman. Tens of thousands of copies will sell every month if Thomas & I start producing it from home. The issue is creating comic readers & collectors - I don't think many of the modern books coming out from EITHER company would do that right now. The Marvel stuff is good for established fans in many cases, but I don't know if my 11 or 12 year old self would enjoy them at all compared to any of the other entertainment options available. Thomas would MUCH rather read a novel he's interested in than any of the newish comics I've tossed his way over the years.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I wasn't going to go, but my son was in town for the weekend and his mother uncharacteristically let him spend the night instead of doing Easter stuff with her family.
So we got up this morning and went to the cheap early bird showing.

It was torture. It wasn't even like a campy bad movie like the new TMNT movie. It was just pretentious, overly long, and dull. Dull Dull Dull. The plotting and pacing just crawl along with endless unnecessary slow motion shots for no reason. Lex walking down a hallway. Bruce walking across a field to his parents mausoleum. It never tightened up. At one point Batman is in a "car chase" in the Batmobile and I was just thinking, my god this is the most fucking boring car chase I have ever seen.

The characters and their motivations were either one dimensional, or inexplicable, or both. You never get a decent explanation why Lex hates Superman, other than the fact he's Lex Luthor and therefore it's implied he hates Superman. Also, they pretty much just hung the name Lex on a generic rich billionaire character wh thinks they're above the law. My girlfriend said she like Eisenberg's character and thought he was interesting, but he wasn't a Lex Luthor. I personally thought he was meh and it was just a variation on every Eisenberg's performance. Didn't hate it, but...meh.
The wheelchair guy...yeah he hates Superman, but why the animosity against Bruce? And it doesn't matter because they never do anything with that and then it doesn't matter.
They beat you over the head with why Batman hates Supeman, right up until the point where he suddenly stops hating Superman and they become besties. Wonder Woman has no motivation and no purpose in the film other than to be Wonder Woman.
I feel bad for Cavill because he was given the least amount to work with. I feel like every part of his character was just listening to other people give him motivational speeches about being Superman (Lois, Martha, his dad's ghost etc) and him just kinda nodding and grunting agreement.
The movie spent time asking all these questions about its characters, but not having the intelligence to answer any of them. Clark has issues with Batman's vigilantism. Bruce has issues with powerful unchecked aliens in our midst. But it doesn't do a damn thing to resolve them. Probably because it can't take sides against either of its "protagonists". Just when you think Superman is gonna get to give a speech about truth, justice, etc the movie takes that away.
And this isn't even including the dozens of minor nitpicks with the film that infuriated me. Batman is the world's shittiest detective(White Portuguese). Supposedly Superman had to kill Zod in the last film, so that he would know what killing was and be repulsed by it. That was their whole argument 4 years ago right? So, the first thing he does in this movie is kill a guy by slamming him through half a dozen walls at super speed. The Batman killing is so infuriating that I'm numb to it because at this point I despise the film for dozens of other reasons. I detested the fight choreography of any scene where Batman is fighting multiple guys. It's just awful. The guys are literally standing around waiting their turn to get punched. They try to cover it in with flashy editing, but it was just laughable. And it happened more than once.
There's a distinct lack of superheroing in the film. Batman isn't really Batman in the film at all, except in the third act. Superman is in it about just as much, but it's a lot of passive shots of him after he's done some bit of heroing business, not actually seen doing the heroics. And there was no humor in it. The audience I watched it with laughed once. ONCE. And I think that was more because they hadnt laughed yet, so when a mediocre line was delivered near the end of the film, they all kinda realized it was now or never, and forced themselves to laugh at an unearned joke.
By the time the epic finale happened, I just didn't give a shit. Nobody anywhere believes that ending is gonna stick, so gouging the audience for another twenty minutes of melodramatic wrap up bullshit was totally unnecessary filler. The movie was just a tedious, dour chore of a film, devoid of any kind of fun or wonder. I am depressed that we will never get a proper DC film in my lifetime.

Usually, I'm all about avoiding spoilers, but the film is a drag and I doubt most of you are gonna waste the energy to see it. I look forward to discussing the many foibles of this trainwreck with you. I pointed out to my daughter (and thoroughly depressed her with this notion) that kids don't read comics anymore, so for an entire generation of kids, THIS is going to be their exposure to DC's "superheroes". And that's just a fucking travesty.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I saw it back on Thursday night.
Friday morning I set up several appointments with a therapist, which is why I haven't mentioned it.

None of the fucking movie makes any sense. Wonder Woman is the best part. And I have a feeling they'd have fucked that up if they gave her another minute of screen time.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

It was the worst movie I've seen in the theatre in a very long time. The story parts were disjointed & didn't make sense. I had to wait 2 hrs to see the fight. They tossed away a villain that could have been the centrepiece of a 2 part JLA movie in 20 minutes or less. I want to kill Jesse Eisenberg's voice in a violent way. Gal Gadot's WW music was shockingly bad (but she's shockingly hot so that balances out). Amy Adams in the tub in 3D was the only saving grace, even if she is looking a bit old & a bit heavy (for her - not for a normal woman - just to clarify).

Christopher Nolan should do everything in his power to have his name removed from the credits here - it's that bad.
Ran

Post by Ran »

All this bitching about the movie and nothing about Aquaman?
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

He was pretty cool for 11 of the 13 seconds we saw him.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

apparently WB is retooling Suicide Squad to add more jokes, in light of both the success of Deadpool and the backlash against BvS. talk about learning the wrong lesson.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Because David Ayers and Zach Snyder are totally different directors, I'm trying to give Suicide Squad its own space to be its own movie.
But BvS has totally screwed the DC movieverse before it even got started. I can't fathom how WB is comfortable giving Snyder another $250-300 million to ruin Justice League which starts shooting in like 5 days. But they are.