A Place For My Stuff

anything that don't fit under any other category...like your mothers fat ass

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

vynsane
master of the universe

Re: A Place For My Stuff

Post by vynsane »

holy shit! that's nuts! glad no one was harmed, but it sucks that there may be structural damage and the obvious outward damage. damn.

on the bright side, you could set up some sort of security camera and capture some viral footage of the intersection.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

vynsane wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:23 am holy shit! that's nuts! glad no one was harmed, but it sucks that there may be structural damage and the obvious outward damage. damn.

on the bright side, you could set up some sort of security camera and capture some viral footage of the intersection.
The neighbors on the corner have several cameras set up for just that reason. That intersection has accidents all the time, just not ones that intrude into our yard(s). The cops will show up, he’ll invite them inside to review the footage, and everyone knows whose fault it was. I guess there’s been ongoing efforts to put in a stoplight, but the city is reluctant because it would “interrupt traffic flow” or some dumb shit.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

Diabolical wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:56 am Oh shit.

Invest in large rocks/boulders for the yard.
Not even kidding.
I've seen houses that were in a similar situation, so they did just that and had very large rocks (big enough to stop a car) installed by the sidewalk or right by the house.
Depending on the size of the rock, size of the vehicle, and the speed of the collision, the rock could become a projectile.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Ran wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:10 pm

Not even kidding.
I've seen houses that were in a similar situation, so they did just that and had very large rocks (big enough to stop a car) installed by the sidewalk or right by the house.
Depending on the size of the rock, size of the vehicle, and the speed of the collision, the rock could become a projectile.
I was afraid it might serve as a ramp. :shock:
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

The ones I've seen are about 3'-4' tall, which should be enough to stop the vehicle without going over it.
You'd definitely need some heavy equipment to move them into place.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

things you never thought you'd have to google: "Where to buy a boulder"
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Ran

Post by Ran »

Tom Foolery wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:54 am
Ran wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:10 pm

Not even kidding.
I was afraid it might serve as a ramp. :shock:
Yeah, that too. I took a 2 day class on setting up temporary traffic control for roadways. There can be a lot of potential unintentional hazards, like placing sandbags on the barricades or filling the plastic barricades or barrels with sand or water.

Then you have permanent things next to roadways like streetlights and fire hydrants. They are attached to the ground to raised bolts that are embedded into a concrete foundation. So if a vehicle hits them, they sheer off. They old hydrants and streetlights didn't move when cars hit them, which caused problems for the driver. There also may be clear zones on the side of the road for fixed objects. It depends on the agency and the type of road.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Just put a picture of Rupert Grint with big letters saying your yard smells "gaye." That will keep everyone out. No one wants to smell Gaye. I think she's in her 90s, and has been incontinent for years.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

It’s been two and half years since we moved in. There’s this idea I had for displaying my Modular Lego city in the front room that entire time, but there have been obstacles. The room was half display room/half storeroom for random stuff since we moved. I’ve been slowly clearing the excess stuff out and finally cleared off the drawer boxes.
Then I had to deal with the slight leaning of the boxes and the solution was to literally take each drawer out, disassemble the outer shell and add box anchors to each set of two drawers, then stagger the anchored 2-box sets on each of the three layers. This was not something I was looking forward to. But last weekend I dug in, and restacked the nearly 50 boxes. It tightened up the space by a good six inches and got rid of the gaps.
So, this weekend, the next step was to borrow my dad’s truck and head to Lowe’s and buy TWO sheets of plywood cut to SPECIFIC measurements of 6 1/2 ft x 33 in. The guy cut the wood and we next headed to JoAnn’s fabrics to buy some felt fabric to cover the two boards. I picked a grey to simulate concrete and a mottled green to be grass.
Going great! Headed home, and spent a solid hour stapling the green to one board. The staples were being stupid so we used about five times as many staples as needed because they would get bent going into the wood.
The next step was to see if it fit on the boxes. Success! Flush against the wall and flush across the front of the drawer boxes. Then, just to make sure, I marked the edge point and slid the board down to the other end.

Uh oh. The edge point was four inches off the mark. I grabbed a tape measure and Lowe’s had MISMEASURED THE CUT BY TWO INCHES. On both boards. So, after calling both the store and the Lowe’s 800 number and bitching I had to go out in my garage and cut 4 inches off the second board.

We had to go visit the in-laws(where I’m typing this)But, when I get home tonight, stapling the grey to the shorter board and fitting them next to each other.

Then the fun part begins. Unpacking my Modular sets and setting them up!
THEN, the boxes with Modulars in the basement will be gone, I can move some plastic totes into that space, and free up a wall to move the SIXTY long boxes of comics in my parents’ basement into my house and my ENTIRE collection will be in one location for the FIRST time in my 36 years of collecting. Yay!

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Awesome!
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Here’s the front room with the felted boards before the town arrives. All the bookcases are for my figures eventually. Right now it’s about half displayed figures, and half stuff that needs to find a different place so I can display more figures.
Attachments
D1F1EFB9-90AA-4929-9477-35626B35473D.jpeg
D1F1EFB9-90AA-4929-9477-35626B35473D.jpeg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 416 times
06B812AD-1630-4A2F-995C-B0F5CE565398.jpeg
06B812AD-1630-4A2F-995C-B0F5CE565398.jpeg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 416 times
D77596C9-54D3-40B5-AB9F-41A73D2BD34B.jpeg
D77596C9-54D3-40B5-AB9F-41A73D2BD34B.jpeg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 416 times

Ran

Post by Ran »

That's pretty cool so far. I never really thought about how much of a commitment the modular Lego town really is. I'm just going to live vicariously though you with your Lego town and space do display all of your stuff until I can get a room of my own. Ideally, it would be a computer desk, couch, tv, and bookcases.