Top Summer Film of 2019

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Which movie makes the Moolah?

Hellboy!
No votes
A4:License To Print Money
100%
Detective Deadpool cosplaying as Pikachu
No votes
John Wick 3
No votes
Fresh Genie of Bel Aire
No votes
Godzilla 2:Holy Fucking Shit!!!
No votes
Dark Phoenix
No votes
Spider-Man; What’s up Dickwad?
No votes
Lion King
No votes
Hobbs and Shaw; Sponsored by Fast&Furious
No votes

Total votes: 5

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Top Summer Film of 2019

Post by Tom Foolery »

New Year! New Poll!

By now you know the rules.
1. Summer only. “Summer” being subjective on my whims to find 10 suitable candidates.
2. No animation.
3. Box Office. Not aesthetics.

I left both Capt Marvel movies off because Shazam was just a weeeee bit to early in the year. And I wouldn’t do one without the other.

Hellboy squeaked on the list in favor of MIB4: The Snorequel. Everyone’s giving the new Hellboy shit because it’s not Perlman and DelToro.
Whatever. Those movies weren’t great. Decent? Yes? Absurdly awesome? No. Let Harbour’s version sink or swim on its own.

And yes, I’m aware Lion King technically violates the “no animation” rule. But photo-realistic CGI is a facsimile of live action and 2. It’s my fucking rule and I’ll break it if I want.

Besides, just like last year, there’s basically 9 “it’s an honor just to be nominated”s and one “Holy fuck, which studio is Disney gonna buy next with its Avenger’s Endgame money?” I suggest Universal, so they can get Namor back and do a proper Defenders movie with Strange, Namor, Hulk, and Norrin Radd.

Choose!
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Top Summer Film of 2019

Post by jjreason »

I don't think it will be close. I hope that once the dust settles & they prepare to move ahead into the next era of films they take as much care as they have with this batch.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

jjreason wrote:I don't think it will be close. I hope that once the dust settles & they prepare to move ahead into the next era of films they take as much care as they have with this batch.
It’s funny, because all their “flops” were towards the beginning of the series. Hulk, The first Cap, first Thor, and IM2 were some of the lower grossing films in the MCU.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

If anything comes close to Avengers it'll be Lion King, because people are stupid.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I've only just recently seen John Wick - I'll put a rush on seeing part 2 since I thought it was pretty cool, almost in the Matrix family of cool. Hopefully part 2 isn't a letdown.
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

jjreason wrote:I've only just recently seen John Wick - I'll put a rush on seeing part 2 since I thought it was pretty cool, almost in the Matrix family of cool. Hopefully part 2 isn't a letdown.
I love the John Wick movies - pure, unapologetic action.
Chapter 2 is more of the same, but with some nice world expanding.
You can almost watch 1 and 2 as two halves of the same movie.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

It ain't coming close to Endgame money, but Detective Pikachu looks pretty awesome.

And I usually can't stand Pokemon.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Diabolical wrote:
jjreason wrote:I've only just recently seen John Wick - I'll put a rush on seeing part 2 since I thought it was pretty cool, almost in the Matrix family of cool. Hopefully part 2 isn't a letdown.
I love the John Wick movies - pure, unapologetic action.
Chapter 2 is more of the same, but with some nice world expanding.
You can almost watch 1 and 2 as two halves of the same movie.
John Wick 3 picks up less than an hour after the end of the second one. And the entire trilogy takes place in about the span of a week.

Went to see Aladdin tonight. While nothing can hold up to the original and Williams’ performance, it was decent enough. Will Smith did the role justice, and the two main roles were filled well. The weak link for me was Jafar.
Alan Tudyk played Iago. That guy is in fucking everything.

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I've heard mixed reviews of Aladdin, but the one thing everyone agrees on is Jafar sucks.

I have no desire to waste two hours confirming or denying this, because my wife hates Will Smith for some reason, and I myself find him tremendously overrated and can only deal with him in small doses. Unless it's his old Fresh Prince shtick (music or sitcom).
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

Don't know why, but I can handle Will Smith in the Men in Black movies.

I read the first post again and noticed the "rules" say no animation. I know what he means, but every movie in the poll relies on heavy CGI, which I find funny.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Y’all can definitely wait to watch it on Disney+(and don’t pretend like none a ya aint getting that shit for all the Star Wars/Marvel content gonna be on there) in a few months.
Smith was definitely in Fresh Prince/ID4/Bad Boys/MIB mode playing the Genie if that helps.