MCU Topic

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: MCU Topic

Post by Diabolical »

Saw Love and Thunder the other day. Loved it.
I'd still let Natalie Portman kick my ass any day.
I'm not really sure what the nerds are bitching about. It seemed pretty obvious that the overly goofy aspects fall solely on our narrator and his embellishments.

As for Ms Marvel - wow, I did not expect to like this show as much as I did. Iman Vellani is an instantly likable actress and brought a very realistic feeling to Kamala (but Kamala's dad was the MVP).
Her friend Bruno (Matt Lintz) was once the frontrunner for Spider-Man until Tom Holland came along. Based on his performance in Ms Marvel, I think he would have been great.
And as great as the show was, holy shit, that final scene lit the fuse and walked away.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Yeah, I'm not getting the hate for L&T, either. Looking back over the years at Thor comics, I've always found them better when they're a bit ridiculous. When they're dark and serious, well, they're the printed version of The Dark World.

I've seen people preemptively bitching that they'll make Hercules silly, and I can't help but wonder what the hell Hercules comics they've read. My only concern is that movie Thor is already a lot like comic Hercules.

The people complaining about Ms. Marvel, most of them it's pretty clear they're just racist, sexist, or both. Or overly annoyed that Kamala is a mutant and not an inhuman, as if it makes much of a difference in the overall story.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I’ve never watched Ted Lasso, so I didn’t recognize the guy playing Herc and I’ve no idea of his comedic/dramatic prowess.

My daughter didn’t enjoy LaT. She was bored with it. It’s one thing for characters to have plot armor, but it’s another for them behave like they have plot armor. A bunch of fake-outs for Sif, Korg, Val, Zeus, etc and the finale had no emotional effect on Thor. After losing his parents, 4 of his 5 best friends, his brother, his entire home, and most of his people, the emotional impact of losing another important person was…hey, lets make pancakes. She said the last few Marvel films, apart from Spidey NWH, have traded any narrative weight away, and instead relied on goofiness and quips. I can see that as a valid point.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

SDCC Panel for the MCU dropping Phase 5 tidbits. Most of it we already knew about.

Captain America:New World Order officially announced.

Daredevil: Born Again. 18 episode Disney+ series.

Thunderbolts movie.

More to come….

TWO Avengers movies; Avengers:Kang Dynasty and Avengers:Secret Wars will wrap up Phase 6. They come out the same year. One in May, one in November.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

*repeated spontaneous orgasms*
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Up until now, they’ve been doing six episode series on D+. Doing 18 episodes of DD is basically like doing 3 seasons all at once. Not to mention, the third season of the Netflix DD borrowed heavily from the Born Again comics arc. I can’t see them retreading that path. And no matter what they say, they’re gonna tone it down. All of this makes me…hesitant isn’t the right word…but I’m wondering about the dilution of quality for that many episodes. The Netflix shows were ten episodes and they struggled to fill out quality for entire seasons. I finished Jessica Jones season 2, but can’t remember the story at all. I didn’t finish Luke Cage or Iron Fist’s second seasons, and I never even started JJ season three. Maybe the D+ Daredevil show is just gonna feature all those characters under one easy to watch series?

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Well keep in mind that each D+ episode is going to be about 22 min of material followed by 10 min of credits. I would suggest an 18 episode season is somewhere around 8-10 of the old episodes - but that's beside the point.

Secret Wars - I'm leaning more towards a Hickman Secret Wars than a Jim Shooter one - maybe they'll blend the 2 concepts together? I see they're bringing Hickman back to write something else which will certainly lead the comics in whatever direction that's headed - some people are theorizing he'll tackle the Celestials to go hand in hand with Kieren Gillen's Eternals.

I think this must have been the biggest dump of upcoming marvel stuff in the history of big dumps... it's pretty much overwhelming the amount of material they have planned for the next couple of years. I'm treating like a restaurant now (borrowed analogy, not mine) - watching what I like but certainly not feeling compelled to try & have everything. The motivation is long gone.
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I wouldn't necessarily assume DD is going to be toned down because Marvel Zombies is going to be TVMA.
Plus the addition of the original Netflix shows, along with Logan and the Deadpool movies shows that Disney+ is willing to have more adult content.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Secret Wars is going to give them the ability to consolidate all their cinematic universes. Bringing the X-Men into the fold is obvious, but beyond that it’ll give them the opportunity to recast original heroes like Iron Man and Cap and T’Challa so they can literally have all their toys at once.
And if any more of Sony’s Spider-Verse movies bomb like Morbius, I can see them making a deal for creative control of those properties and taking a bigger portion of the profits, if not just outright buying them back or buying Sony altogether.
The long term problem is how do you top the Infinity Saga and the Multiverse Saga? What stakes get bigger than Secret Wars? What threats are bigger than Kang and Thanos? Annihilus maybe? Doom? Especially if all the “new” characters are getting into the C-list and D-List. I will definitely nerd out for Quasar, Darkhawk, and Sleepwalker movies, but the general public not so much.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

The whole Hickaman incursion concept as touched on in Dr. Strange removes the need for an overarching villain - the event is the antagonist type of thing. Of course there will be those lying in wait to find opportunity in the chaos... Kang for sure, and I would love to see Dr. Doom of course.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The rumor is Dr Doom is the stinger at the end of Black Panther. His agents are the ones who set Namor and Atlantis against Wakanda.
We will have to wait and see if it’s true.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

That would be lovely.

EDITED: Ted Lasso is also lovely. Went into it with my eyes rolled back about as far as they go, but I warmed up to it very, very quickly. It's a quick watch, only 2 seasons worth of short episodes. The whomever that might be playing the whomever is really funny & could likely play straight faced whomever while allowing the comedy to flow very nicely.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I'm waiting for a stinger that's just starry space and dark music, then a booming voice that says, "I hunger."
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

anarky wrote:I'm waiting for a stinger that's just starry space and dark music, then a booming voice that says, "I hunger."
Voiced by Paul Rubens

anarky

Post by anarky »

Tom Foolery wrote:
anarky wrote:I'm waiting for a stinger that's just starry space and dark music, then a booming voice that says, "I hunger."
Voiced by Paul Rubens
Fucking beautiful.

Which reminds me, you need to watch the TTG 2-parter with Darkseid. I won't spoil the casting but it's amazeballs.