Cataloging apps?

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Cataloging apps?

Post by jjreason »

Ay carumba! What's the math on a long box, 250? If so, I'm stuck around 7500 comics & working diligently do get it down to 6000.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

jjreason wrote:Ay carumba! What's the math on a long box, 250? If so, I'm stuck around 7500 comics & working diligently do get it down to 6000.
Some boxes are longer than others, like traditional top lids hold way more than the new DrawerBoxes. And I put two books, front and back, in every bag with a board so that cuts down on space also. I’d say 350-400 issues if I’m packing them in tight in a top lid, and 300-350 in a DrawerBox if there’s no spacers in there. But I’m pretty sure those early boxes from the 80s/90s weren’t packed as efficiently as I can now. That dumb little shit didn’t know anything about collecting back then.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I was in on the drawer boxes, now I'm out. They keep ripping at the handles. My keepers are all going to eventually wind up in the short boxes with attached flippy lids. By far the most manageable even now, let alone when I'm wearing adult diapers in a few more weeks years.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Finished the CA batch. The final total was an additional 9,552 books with a “value” a skitch over $36k

Now starting on the 2010-2012 batch I bought when I moved back to Iowa. Right off the bat, I found an unexpected windfall. The Adam:The Blue Marvel mini series from 2009, which I know I found in a bargain bin, so I paid less than $1 per issue, skyrocketed. First issue is $350, the rest of the books are in the $60-70 range. Yay.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Nice! Is that because the Ultimates series got so hot there? Movie rumours I would have to assume?
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

jjreason wrote:Nice! Is that because the Ultimates series got so hot there? Movie rumours I would have to assume?
I’m not even going to begin to presume to know how the minds of these chucklehead “investors” decide what’s a hot book and what isn’t.

Eventually every Marvel character is going to wind up on the TV or Movie screen. Bring it on! I’ve got a shit ton of first appearances scattered throughout my collection.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Even Darkhawk #1 has been swirling lately. People will buy anything.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Hell, even I have Darkhawk #1. Still has the $1.50 price tag on it from when I bought it. Looks like I have most of the first 20 issues plus an the Annual. I got them when I briefly tried getting into comic books in the early 90s.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Sell, Ran, Sell! It was up to $25 a couple of weeks ago!!! :D
Ran

Post by Ran »

Woo hoo! Dinner for 2 at Chipotle. Maybe the kids can eat too if I sell that Secret Defenders #1. Dr. Strange is cool now, right?
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Ran wrote:Hell, even I have Darkhawk #1. Still has the $1.50 price tag on it from when I bought it. Looks like I have most of the first 20 issues plus an the Annual.

I got them when I briefly tried getting into comic books in the early 90s.
You, and literally every single other person alive at that time. :lol: :lol:

Ran

Post by Ran »

So are early 90s comics the same as the baseball cards from that era? Way overproduced with little value? They call sports cards produced between 1987 and 1994 the "Junk Wax era". You can still buy unopened boxes and cases of cards from back then for cheap. The prices on some of it started going up recently, but most of it still isn't worth anything.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

That's pretty much it. Tons of copies & everyone was hyper concerned about keeping them in immaculate mint condition - too many of them remain to allow the demand to ever catch up with the supply.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Oddly, the only early 90s comics that are worth anything today are the last few issues of Transformers and G.I. Joe. They couldn't give them away at the time and they had crazy low print runs... but, as it turns out, lasting long-term appeal.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

The only baseball cards worth anything from that timeframe are either rookies or error cards. The one that stands out is the Billy Ripken "Fuck Face" card. He is posing for the camera holding his bat, "Fuck Face" is written on the knob of the bat. They caught it at some point during printing and blocked it out.