What'cha readin', you illiterate fuck?

books are important. a dying art. please, please, let me know that there are still people out there that read more than just magazines.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: What'cha readin', you illiterate fuck?

Post by anarky »

I checked out a collection yesterday and have found that Lovecraft is very much like Bram Stoker. He's best known by way of adaptations and derivatives, almost all of which suck ass. But the original kicks considerable ass.

He reminds me a lot of Poe. In truth, he's probably a more polished writer than Poe, even if he's not as historically important.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Antropov
stormshadow

Post by Antropov »

My kids are in the summer reading program at the local library and I figured if we're there two or three times a week anyway I might as well do some summer reading. I would venture to say that I've already dominated a dozen or so books in the month since school has been out. I shake my own head and make a confused face when I step back and look at the odd range of shit I've taken in already.

A short list so far:
"A Night to Remember" by Walter Lord

"The Last Log of the Titanic" by some douchefuck who has no right to write books ever again.

"Ghost Ship" by Chris Pelligrino

"Jim Morrison: Life, Death, Legend" by Stephen Davis (a great book, but Davis makes a lot of unsubstantiated claims about Morrison [e.g. he was bisexual, he was molested by his father] and then backs away from them, saying, "this is just what I heard")

"In Fifty Years We'll All Be Chicks" by Adam Corolla (one of the best, most unbiased accounts of what's wrong with the world...and other stuff)
"Assholes Finish First" by Tucker Max (fucking outstandingly hilarious)

"Hilarity Ensues" by Tucker Max (pretty funny)

"Sloppy Seconds" by Tucker Max (I feel like I wasted money on this book, and it was a free Kindle download)

"I Am Better Than Your Kid" by Maddox

"The Alphabet of Manliness" by Maddox (as unfunny as "I Am Better Than Your Kids" was funny)

"Ted, White and Blue: The Nugent Manifesto" by Ted Nugent

"What If?: The World's Foremost Military Historians Imagine What Might Have Been" (I fucking hate speculative history, especially when people put emphasis on the "history" aspect of it. It's fiction and has no place in the history section at the library. However, this book has an essay about "What if the allied invasion of Normandy had failed?" by Stephen E. Ambrose, who is as far as I am concerned, the benchmark and standard every historian should use when deciding HOW to write a book and I would read an account of his bowel movements three times over if he wrote it.)

"Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" by William Shirer (THE definitive book about Nazi Germany, but it's so goddamn dry that I have been plugging away at it here and there for months and just cannot seem to make any progress in it)

That's so far. It's so nice to be able to read what I want for a change. Having gotten into the habit of reading for classes this semester, it felt weird not to. So I decided to fulfill that compulsion with books I find interesting, not assigned readings about some cock-chugger of a "historian" making up an entirely new genre of historical study simply to validate his career and appear that he is breaking some sort of never-before-seen news.
:grillmarks:
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Antropov wrote: "Jim Morrison: Life, Death, Legend" by Stephen Davis (a great book, but Davis makes a lot of unsubstantiated claims about Morrison [e.g. he was bisexual, he was molested by his father] and then backs away from them, saying, "this is just what I heard")
Don't forget Harrison Ford.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Post by anarky »

But I have heard that Jim Morrison was bisexual and molested by his father.

In fact, I saw it on an out-of-the-way internet rest stop earlier today.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Diabolical wrote:
Antropov wrote: "Jim Morrison: Life, Death, Legend" by Stephen Davis (a great book, but Davis makes a lot of unsubstantiated claims about Morrison [e.g. he was bisexual, he was molested by his father] and then backs away from them, saying, "this is just what I heard")
Don't forget Harrison Ford.
Jim Morrison was molested by Harrison Ford?

That asshole!
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
anarky

Post by anarky »

Yeah! How dare that he get his quirky rock star anus in the way of Han Solo's dick?
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Sadly, no ( but that would be one hell of a story).
Ford was briefly a roadie (or something) for The Doors.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Nah, Harrison Ford molested one of the Doors. I read it online about two hours ago.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Took a break from rereading Ice and Fire and read

The Last Child by John Hart. It's a murder mystery type story of a 13 year old boy who's twin sister was abducted a year ago, and the fallout of it in the small North Carolina town they live in. It's a bit John Grisham, with a smidge of Stephen King tossed in.
Jargo
christopher walken

Post by Jargo »

Terry Pratchett's The last hero. It's got pictures and everything.
I have never read any of your posts, but from what I can learn I should say that for people who like the kind of posts you deliver, they are just the kind of posts such people like.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

My daughter lent me the last two Hunger Games books Catching Fire and Mockingjay last weekend and I took a break from reading comics and belted out both books in just under three days.

Honestly, I feel drained. Emotionally. This series does NOT have a jubilant conclusion. And I say this as a person who survived the RW in Storm of Swords. It's as if the sky grows overcast at the end and you know the sun is never gonna come out again. It may not rain, but that bleargh feeling you get when it's cloudy will be there forever. It's like I didn't even care the love triangle resolved itself at the end. I didn't care if they won or lost the Games, because the cost was inconceivable.

Imagine if ESB was dark, but instead of having ROTJ where there's a joyous conclusion and fireworks and Ewoks singing, you have an even darker third movie. Like if Saw was the third movie in the trilogy.

And it only happened at the very end when her sister gets exploded with all the kids, because if you think about, that was how the entire thing began with Katniss trying to save her sister.

I also looked on imdb and they're pulling a Harry Potter/Twilight and splitting the last book into Two Films so as to milk the franchise.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

RoIIo Tomassi wrote:Honestly, I feel drained. Emotionally. This series does NOT have a jubilant conclusion. And I say this as a person who survived the RW in Storm of Swords. It's as if the sky grows overcast at the end and you know the sun is never gonna come out again. It may not rain, but that bleargh feeling you get when it's cloudy will be there forever. It's like I didn't even care the love triangle resolved itself at the end. I didn't care if they won or lost the Games, because the cost was inconceivable.
That was part of the reason I really enjoyed the series - it wasn't predictable and all roses and sunshine. And I like how it gets more sci-fi as it goes. I'm curious as to how general film audiences (those that haven't read the books) will respond.
Bonus points for the RW comparison.
RoIIo Tomassi wrote:And it only happened at the very end when her sister gets exploded with all the kids, because if you think about, that was how the entire thing began with Katniss trying to save her sister.
A very Whedon-esque moment in there.
RoIIo Tomassi wrote:I also looked on imdb and they're pulling a Harry Potter/Twilight and splitting the last book into Two Films so as to milk the franchise.
I'm just curious as to where they're going to make the split, and will they dare to keep the key moments, like the above spoiler?
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I actually thought the funniest place to make the cut is right after she gives that impassioned speech to the soldier pointing the gun at her after they take out District Two.

And then some ass in the crowd shoots her. Smash cut to Black. Come back next summer for the sequel!!

Either that or when Crazy Peeta jumps up and strangles her. But that's not as funny as the first one.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Finished Bone: Quest for the Spark book III (the conclusion). The series was a bit lukewarm honestly, but it did crescendo and end well. Worth the time for Bone fans (which everyone is, right?).
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Amazon has a book called "John Cater and the Gods of Hollywood" as a free ebook today. Its about the flick and what happened. It got good reviews, and free is free.
When I "bought" it I saw they also had a download of 7 John Carter books for $.99 total, not each. So I bought that too.

I may never read any of 'em because I hate reading on my kindle, but 8 books for $.99 ain't too shabby.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AFC ... UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/John-Carter-Princ ... m_kstore_3