LEGO!

toys are cool. they are fun. you like to play with toys. no, not THOSE kinds of toys. well, okay, those are fun too...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: LEGO!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Started building the Lighthouse set last night. The entire rock island base is just to hide the battery pack and motor parts and wires for the spinning light house light. A clever build. They also have a bunch of random colored parts that you won’t see when it’s finished, but they’re an ‘homage’ to all the MOCs people would build with random colored pieces because that’s all they had in their inventory. Haha.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Tom Foolery wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:13 pmThey also have a bunch of random colored parts that you won’t see when it’s finished, but they’re an ‘homage’ to all the MOCs people would build with random colored pieces because that’s all they had in their inventory. Haha.
yeah, it's also for people who are not "LEGO Maniacs™" like us who can't follow instructions of adding layers of 2x4 gray bricks over and over again. the colors give a little more indication of what is different between steps.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

vynsane wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:28 am
Tom Foolery wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:13 pmThey also have a bunch of random colored parts that you won’t see when it’s finished, but they’re an ‘homage’ to all the MOCs people would build with random colored pieces because that’s all they had in their inventory. Haha.
yeah, it's also for people who are not "LEGO Maniacs™" like us who can't follow instructions of adding layers of 2x4 gray bricks over and over again. the colors give a little more indication of what is different between steps.
I remember the old school instructions where they didn’t have a picture of the new parts for each step, and you just had to be like “whats different between these two pictures” lol.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

oh, yeah, that too! compared to the instructions of yesteryear kids these days have it too easy!
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

Target had an Idea book on clearance for $6. There is a mini retro space cruiser in it. Damn straight I bought it.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Head over to bricklink.com and make an account so you can vote on creator submissions in the next designer program. There are some pretty fuckin’ cool designs. I’m kinda salty I missed out on the earlier waves, because there are definitely a couple I would’ve funded. Like that construction site modular set.

But there’s 375 designs in this series. At least a few of those you’ll think “goddamn that’s cool! I want one!”

Voting ends on March 31st.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Lego Star Wars Day starts in a few hours. I’m gonna try and get the two new dioramas; Emperor’s Throne Room, and the Speeder Bike Chase, and qualify for the freebie sets.

May the 4th be with you!

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

While I was doing the rounds on FCBD a few weeks ago, I over heard some people talking about the ‘Brick House’. It turns out there’s a used Lego brick store over in Moline. Today, I drove over there to see what the rumpus was. The woman said they’d been open for two years. She was super nice and we talked about Legos while I perused the shop.

They’ve got new sets, used sets, and tons of loose bricks to purchase. They’ve got custom minifigs, loose minifigs, and loose heads, torsos, and legs for building your own minifigs. There are two big sandbox like bins that you can sift thru to find the piece you need, but also drawers and drawers of bricks separated by specific colors, so you can narrow down your search. They also have dozens of even smaller trays for specific tiny pieces like weapons, or technic pieces, etc.

Since I finished sorting the comics, my next big project was to tackle those giant bins of Lego bricks my daughter brought home like five years ago. But each set I part out is missing bricks from each set. Now I can make a list of all the missing pieces and go back to my new favorite store to finish like 15 sets! I didn’t have a list when I went in today, but the most recent set I was trying to piece back together based on instructons/part inventory I found online was the Sith Infiltrator from 2011. I found like six elements just from memory and paid $1.08. So I might try building it tonight and just use different colored bricks for the half dozen parts I’m missing.

But, in addition to the three comic shops, I’m definitely going add the Brick House to my list of shops I run to when I go across the river. Cool beans.

vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

that's cool, like bricklink IRL!

i recently got (for like, 35% off or something) the new version of the Iron Man Armory, which introduced a new "standard" module that admittedly is a better design than the older design that was used in two previous sets (Iron Man Hall of Armor and Iron Man Armory) that i had purchased previously and have had on my desk for a long time. so i disassembled those sets and figured out what i had and what i needed to update the entire thing to the new standard, with some tweaks, and ordered the pieces on the online LEGO PaB site (thankfully they had everything necessary!). it took a long time to receive the pieces that had to come from Denmark, but otherwise it was worth it!

i have another set of modules for War Machine/Iron Patriot figs but i don't have all of them yet, and i want to rebuild them with a modified color palette - go one step darker with everything (black instead of dark gray, dark gray instead of light gray, and then trans-red instead of trans-blue for the panels - the only thing there is that the garage door panels don't come in trans-red, but they do come in trans-neon-orange, which might work okay).

all of this research for the parts and which order to place them ended up inspiring these bricklists:

Evolution of Iron Man
Evolution of War Machine
Evolution of Spider-man
Assemble the Infinity Gauntlet

IMG_20230522_093725998.jpg
IMG_20230522_093725998.jpg (3.92 MiB) Viewed 827 times
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I was gonna make a joke about Lego pieces from Denmark..something something…

That looks dope.

I see there’s another Ninjago modular set coming out. Knowing there’s now four, I regret not getting the first three.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The new Batcave Shadow box set looks nifty, but I’m not sure it’s $400 nifty.

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

I've been following a Lego page in fb that is all about minimalism.
It's called "Microscale Go" I think.
Some very cool stuff, some meh.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The second series of bricklink submissions is active for voting.

They also announced the five finalists from the first series. They were decent, but there were other submissions I was way more excited about that didn’t get picked. But some of them were re-submitted for series two, so maybe…

None of them are as bitchin’ as that Modular building under construction set from the previous years. I am seriously thinking about dropping way too much money to snag one.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: LEGO!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Got a few of the Disney minigif series the other day. I was half ass feeling the bags, but I suck at it and have zero patience.
But I snagged Stitch, Robin Hood, the little kid from Coco, and Snow White’s Evil Queen. And a second Stitch. I really want Prince John and Baymax.

I’m almost done with the Lego sorting I began like four years ago. The pieces that don’t have homes is probably like 3% of what I started with.
I’m giving the first sets I parted out when I started back in 2019 a re-check to see if any elements I missed the first time are in the small pile thats left over(and it’s a good thing I did because there have been several) and once that’s done I’m just gonna give what’s left back to their mom.

I think I parted out roughly 70 sets, ranging from “only missing one or two or a half dozen pieces” down to ‘this set has 150 elements…here are fourteen of them’ Most of those didn’t have instructions, just a semi-rare brick or two that I would reverse research, then look at what sets it had come in, then look up and inventory for said set and go from there. Then occasionally, I would triage sets if the part could be used in a more complete set.

They also had an enormous amount of non-Lego stuff, like K’nex and Megabloks that got weeded out in the process. And mardi gras beads. Like, a large ziploc bag worth of those necklaces they throw at kids during St Patrick and Halloween parades. Why these were in the Lego bin, I have no clue.