Ryan Reynolds is Hal Jordan

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Ryan Reynolds is Hal Jordan

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Leary is wayyy to old to play Guy. And given that the sequel won't hit until 2013 at the very earliest, that's another two years for his teeth to get even longer. I mean, they cast him as George Stacy fer fuck's sake. I agree, 90s Leary wouldve been kickass casting.

I will allow you not taking my suggestion of Tudyk seriously only because you've not yet watched Firefly.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

You don't think they could either write Guy a little older or do something to make Leary look younger? He was born for the role. It will be a humanitarian tragedy of epic proportions if our generation sees a GIJoe movie and a Green Lantern movie, and yet are unable to see Michael Clarke Duncan as Roadblock or Denis Leary as Guy Gardner.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Given WB/DCs lagtime between films, Leary would be 56 by the time the sequel is made, and almost 60 by the time a third film gets done. Thinking about a 60 year old Leary in Guy Gardner's costume makes me want to punch Joel Schumacher.
So no.

Now, if they wanted to use him in an animated film, go for it.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Oh, Rollo, you silly little man! :D
All I'm sayin' is if their target audience is theatre employees who are cleaning up spilled popcorn and empty beverage cups, then it's a masterstroke of marketing. Warner Bros, I salute you!
Best thing about that thread are the people saying this was a good idea. You could make an ad as part of the movie and be exempt from the silly rules about linking trailers to movie.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Thank yew. Thank yew. I stand by my original statement, which is that NOBODY (and by nobody I mean hardly anybody) stays through the ENTIRE CREDITS. If they were truly interested in marketing the Comics, thats the last place they should put a Comic Marketing Ad. But its all academic because...

SPOILERS! (although, you really shouldn't care...)

I just got back from this film. And it...well okay it didn't outright suck. Not in the way that like Steel or Catwoman or Spawn sucked. But it was pretty weak movie. There were parts of the film where I was actually having a good time, but they were in the minority and didn't make up for the parts where the movie was dragass boring and in a few places actually seemed to come to a dead stop. I was like, WTF, why is a Green Lantern movie so fucking boring that I'm looking at my watch? And that happened more than once during the film, usually when it was a Hal/Carol moment trying to be all tender and dramatic. The cool parts of the film, like the exciting Green Lantern shit with lots of Corps members and shit? You've seen like half of that already in the trailers. I shit you not, guys like Kilowog and Tomar-Re are little more than cameos in the film, and Sinestro is barely above that. And the screen time Sinestro DOES get is mostly boring fucking exposition between him and the Guardians. Talk talk talk talk talk talk talk. That was another thing about the film, they just tried to cram too much "mythology" into the film. Do we need to see Hal's brothers and their families? Does anybody give a fuck? Does that have ANY bearing at all on a Green Lantern film? No it does not. And the training sequence was laughable. One would assume if you get recruited into a "Corps" of a military/law enforcement nature, one would progress to some kind of BASIC Training. In the film, the Hal has the ring for about a day, and doesn't use it/understand it. He instinctively activates it (the giant fist in the parking lot scene from the trailers) at which point, he gets whisked away to Oa without his consent or control. They give him the uniform, at which point he begins his "training". Which constitutes his getting his ass handed to him frist by Kilowog, and then immediately afterwards by Sinestro. After about five minutes of royal ass beatdown, Sinestro comes over and chides him about being unworthy and what not. Seriously, its like joining the army, and instead of going through Basic, they immediately sending you to C.R.E./SEAL training. And then telling you you're a washout after beating you up for five minutes. How the fuck did the Lantern Corps ever manage to recruit anyone? And the EPIC Corps battle hinted at by trailers/ fanboy word of mouth? Yeah, that never happens. You get one scene of Sinestro RahRahing the troops into a frenzy, but thats the last you see of the Corps until the end of the film. And not like "DeathStar Battle" end of the film, more like "Ceremony at Yavin" end of the film. There's also a whole lot of Hector Hammond backstory that was like boring and who gives a shit. All the daddy issue shit with Tim Robbins. Peter Saarsgard did a decent acting job, but the overall extent of that characters importance was underwhelming. There are so many other scenes on the film whefe I was rolling my eyes I can't even remember them all. Like the helicopter that crashes at the party and drags/runs through the entire party before Hal shows up in time to "save" Carol. The suspension of belief that nobody got killed by being chopped up by coptor blades was just laughable. Or that the chopper wouldn't have exploded and killed people. Or when Hal is being chased by Parallax through the asteroid belt? Ugh.

I went into this film with very very VERY low expectations. And I was still underwhelmed. Its certainly not Revenge of the Fallen or GIJoe bad, but in the last couple of years the expectancy of genre films has risen considerably. Movies like Thor should be the bare minimum of whats acceptable. This movie failed to live up the awesome potential of what a Green Lantern movie could and should be. Aside from some nifty Effects, its the equivalent of a SyFy version of what Green Lantern movie would be. Or perhaps what the Fantastic Four films were compared to how awesome they shoud've been.

Of the three comics movies so far, this is definitely the weakest. Surprisingly, X-Men First Class is the best one so far this year. Shocking.
Needless to say, this doesn't bode well for other DC projects. I mean that creatively. This film could do well at the Box Office and ensure years of sequels. TF2 sucked major ass and was the top grosser the year it came out.
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

Rollo Tomassi wrote: (Its certainly not Revenge of the Fallen or GIJoe bad, but in the last couple of years the expectancy of genre films has risen considerably.
While I haven't seen the GI Joe movie, at least the toys were decent. The Green Lantern line looks like it is from 1995.
anarky

Post by anarky »

G'nort and Ch'p cameos, yay or nay? From what I keep hearing, an appearance by either of those two would be the deciding factor in the great theater/DVD debate.

From what I've heard, they should've ditched Geoff Johns' "rainbow corps" idea, as well as Parallax, and gone with a pretty straightforward adaptation of Emerald Dawn. That comic not only gave Hal depth he'd never had, but could've been used to set up Parallax in a sequel. I'd love to see Hollywood have the balls to do Emerald Dawn, then a later story with Guy and John, then Emerald Twilight, ending with Ganthet giving the last ring to Kyle. How cool would that have been? (I've always said, as much as I hated Emerald Twilight, it took nads to do it, and they should've let it stick, with Hal being an insane, disgraced former hero bent on restoring Carol Ferris and Coast City no matter the cost to the entire space-time continuum.)

Ran, watch GIJoe if it's ever on cable (which, curiously, I've never seen). Keep alcohol on hand, and don't have anyone you love within striking distance, though.
Ran

Post by Ran »

If I ever see it on, I'd watch it for at least a few minutes. Don't see it in the listings.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

it's on netflix on demand, and i've watched about half of it. for some reason i don't have the compulsion to avoid it for life like i do the 'shape changing robot' movies (in my reality michael bay didn't get the rights to adapt 'transformers', so he had to resort to the 'captain ersatz' name 'shape changing robots').
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I took the kids to see GL today (they'd been begging for a month to see it because of all the ads, and they surprised me by coming down for Father's Day). Saw it in 3D this time. I was watching the Corps scene a little more closely this time, but still didn't see Ch'P or Gnort. I saw Salaak, Stel, and a couple others who I recognize visually but don't their names even in the comics. Of course, so many of them are different enough from comic to film i could've been looking right at Gnort and not recognized him. And everybody is on screen for a couple seconds at the most.

Some other things I rolled my eyes at that I didn't mention the first time. When Hal activates the ring and is immediately pulled to Oa, on the way out of Earth's atmosphere he passes to Astronauts spacewalking and working on a satellite who kinda do double takes as he flies by. As much as one can do a doubletake in an astronaut spacewalk uniform with the sunvisor closed. But there's no Shuttle or any other visible means to explain how these guys are up there working on the satellite. I guess it might have been the ISS, but it seemed way too small.

Another thing is when they're on Oa, Tomar Re explains to Hal the scope of his "Sector" of Space. He says "Imagine all the stars you can visibly see on the clearest night on Earth. Now times that 1000 and that's YOUR sector 2184. There are 3600 other sectors like it." Okay fine, thats pretty big. But then later on when Parallax is headed to Earth, Sinestro and some other GLs are in an entirely different sector which is "on the far side of the Milky Way Galaxy." Huh wha? Wouldn't ALL the Milky Way be in Sector 2184 based on what Tomar Re had said earlier?

And again, the asteroid belt chase. Now I understand theres some dramatic license involved, but I was under the impression that the asteroids in the belt between Mars and Jupiter and literally hundreds if not thousands and tens of thousand kilometers apart from each other. And they're pretty sizable, closer in size to state counties than they are Buicks. Certainly not floating yards apart requiring fancy GL flying through them. But again, not a science nerd, so I could be wrong.

Another scene is when Amanda Waller comes in after Hector Hammond has grown his giganticly freakish lolling head and says "There was another alien lifeform inside the [Abin Sur] body (meaning the yellow parallax) and we think you may have been infected with it." HA! She's saying this to a man who's head is now the size of three large misshapen watermelons. Ya think? Props to Angela Bassett for getting that exposition out with a straight face.

Then, later on Hal goes back to Oa to plead with the Guardians to help save Earth from parallax. At which point they say "we have to think in terms of the entire universe and can't commit the Corps to saving just one world." And Hal says "Not the Corps. Just me." Uhhh? Then why did you bother flying all the fuck way to Oa, when you could've stayed on Earth and fought him alone like you just pitched to them? You already have the ring dipshit, you don't nee to SELL them on the idea of you protecting your own goddman sector. Thats your new JOB, nitwit. So that scene felt pointless.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I'm not starting a new topic for Justice League and Wonder Woman news.

Warner Bros noticed The Avengers made ALL THE FUCKING MONEY, and decided to put a saddle on their horse and get in the race(not realizing the race is lonnnnng over and they lost).

Anyway, they announced they hired screenwriters for Justice League and Wonder Woman films. Which means just north of fuck all, but discuss if y'all want to.

Remember how Joss Whedon wanted to do Wonder Woman like 7 years ago? And have Cobie Smulders play Diana? And then WB shut it down because they thought Whedon couldn't make a comic book film that would MAKE ALL THE FUCKING MONEY. ha. Smooth move, dumbasses.

I think Marvel should seriously fast track a Squadron Supreme film and totally deflate DCs League film.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

RoIIo Tomassi wrote:I think Marvel should seriously fast track a Squadron Supreme film and totally deflate DCs League film.
Nah, just put Avengers 2 on the same day.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Post by anarky »

That race is indeed lost. There's no way to do it without looking like a ripoff.

They need to go the Superman Returns route. Hear me out before you blast me. Love it or hate it, it was a totally new story. That's what they need. Everyone knows that Bruce Wayne's parents were killed. A film like the apparently-dead Supermax (Green Arrow wrongfully jailed in a prison full of supervillains) would be pretty awesome, done right.

They need to make a Martian Manhunter movie. Seriously, I've said it before, that motherfucker is a goldmine of potential that only The New Frontier even came close to scratching. Imagine a noir-styled film about a scientist in the 30s who somehow summons and awakens the last Martian, who then becomes a detective with shapeshifting and mind-reading powers. Don't even try to go close to superhero shit. That would be fucking amazing.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

That would work well as a TV series.

And I enjoyed Superman Returns. Yeah, it's got some flaws, but considering DCs other Super Hero films, that's definitely top 5. Okay, maybe top 7(assuming DKRises is completely awesome).
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
anarky

Post by anarky »

Batman Begins and Superman Returns are a virtual tie for me. Next would be Batman and Superman, assuming we're only talking live action (animated would throw it seriously out of whack, with Mask of the Phantasm totally shaming everything else), then The Dark Knight and Batman Returns. Then a big gap, Superman II, another big gap, Batman Forever, and a monstrously huge fucking gap, a pile of shit, a video of otters abusing Princess Di's rotted corpse, and every other live-action DC movie I've seen (not counting non-DCU stuff like Watchmen, or Karate Kid where they had to pay DC to use the name but it was totally unrelated).