star wars "saga"

toys are cool. they are fun. you like to play with toys. no, not THOSE kinds of toys. well, okay, those are fun too...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: star wars

Post by anarky »

The official site calls it the Slave-1.

It has been called that in canon fiction--not the movies, but I think in Clone Wars, and definitely in books and comics.

Peter Quill calls his ship The Benatar. The Lego box calls it The Guardians' Ship because Pat Benatar might expect a check if her name was used to market a toy.

Merchandise from The Mandalorian that says "The Child" has always been Grogu, even if we didn't know his name yet, since interviews back during Season 1 established he had a name.

Ergo the ship is still called the Slave-1, even if it's not sold as such. These people are trying to get offended over something that's not happening and would be laughably trivial if it did.

And it's not like it's the Falcon or Ghost, which contractually must be named every third sentence.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Also, I can see where Disney is coming from here. Way back in 1980, I was in first grade. My teacher was an older, very strict, black lady. One day we were discussing what we wanted from Santa Claus. I had Boba, and I wanted his ship.

I got the weirdest look when I said what I wanted, which only dissipated when I explained it was a ship from Star Wars. I didn't understand why for many years. The name is pretty sketchy to people who aren't hardcore fans.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

ugh. i'm so tired of these "fans".
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

vynsane wrote:ugh. i'm so tired of these "fans".
If it makes you feel better, they're fucking up their blood pressure over stupid shit like this.
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

That's what got me about the article. They just seem to be losing their minds about the name on a fictional spaceship.

Are they the same "fans" that got offended by the race and gender of the main characters in the Episodes 7-9?
Ran

Post by Ran »

Solo was on tv last night and I remembered there being a playset for it. I never checked it out, and found the playset on Walmart's website. For some reason, I thought it was for the train, not Kessel. It looks like it more of a cardboard display stand than a playset.

While I was on the Walmart website, I noticed they have the Tantive IV playset. Marked down to $34 from $50. There was a time where I probably would have bought it, but not anymore.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

That piqued my curiosity, so I looked at it.

“Playset” is becoming more of a misnomer. More a diorama display. $34 seemed too much, but originally $50 for a wall and a floor? Dafuq??
Is there another tinier playset that attaches to it where Leia gives Artoo the plans?
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky

Post by anarky »

Y'all clearly haven't seen the new TVC playset with Fat Bib.

There's a picture of it in the dictionary beside both the word "overpriced" and the phrase "oh fuck no."
Ran

Post by Ran »

Holy carp. Looks nice, but oh, fuck no.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

At work today we got in a case of the retro Obi-Wan figures.
I wasn't even aware they were making them.

Vader appears to be a new sculpt when they could've easily retooled the classic one.

There goes another $70 soon.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Got an email from Big Bad Toy Store and looked at the new exclusive Vintage Collection. The Bespin Guards and Death Star Droid are pretty cool, and there is an ESB R2, but I don't see myself spending $16-$22 per figure anymore.

They also have a "Cave of Evil" 3 pack of Vader, Yoda, and Luke. Luke and Yoda are pretty bad.
The Val Sartha looks kind of like a girl I dated when I was 18.

On a side note, I was looking at Transformers. Blitzwing was much cooler before I understood physics or basic aerodynamics. Now he just looks silly when he is in plane mode. Soundwave and Shockwave are cool in robot form, but I don't know what their modern vehicle modes are supposed to be. Are they some sort of spaceships?
anarky

Post by anarky »

Soundwave is a spaceship, though he can turn into that weird lightpost from the original first episode.

They did make one that's a faithful update; a minor retool of that figure that turns into an 80s cassette deck. It was a HTF Walmart exclusive, but they apparently can't reissue it without WM's blessing, so they keep re-releasing the incredible (but pegwarming) spaceship one.

Shockwave is officially a spaceship since they don't want to do a space gun, but it's exceptionally easy to convert him to a gun.

Right now, TF's are better than they've ever been. I'd say almost every figure released in the last two years has been the definitive version of each character. Unfortunately, they're becoming absurdly expensive AND making a metric shit-ton of them, so I'm finding myself having to severely limit myself.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: star war

Post by Tom Foolery »

A rare venture into the toy aisles at WalMart today. I found a Black Series Dengar. It was some kind of re-release? I think I have a couple other Bounty Hunters(gawd I hope one of them isnt Dengar, I will feel foolish), but I got them so long ago, I have no idea which box they’re stashed away in since the move.

I don’t have a lot of Black Series 6” figures, but having all the ESB Hunters standing together will be kinda cool.

EDIT. I have Bossk, IG-88, and two Fetts. One is some kind of convention deluxe one, and the other is a carded Archive version which I will open.
So I just need to find Zuckuss and 4-LOM. Are these rare? Pegwarmers? I have no idea.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Ran

Post by Ran »

I have no idea about the 6" line other than I've seen mostly Landos. I had to go into Gamestop last week because we ordered the kids a Lego game for the switch. I think they had 3.75" and 6" figures, but I really didn't look too closely. The whole place smelled like weed, and I wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible.

There is a record store across the street from where I work. They have music, movies, video games, toys, books, and other pop culture stuff. It is a pretty cool store, so I stop in every so often during lunch. Some of their toys are in glass cases. What I found odd was that one rack had a carded Ice Cream Maker Guy. They put a $60 price sticker right on the card. It seems like they should have put something like that in the glass case. I don't think the stickers are hard to get off, but having it on the card looks bad.
Ran

Post by Ran »

The new Big Bad Toy Store email has a new 3.75" Endor Bunker set with the Rebel in Biker Scout disguise. Kind of cool, but not for $62.