Watchmen (serious spoilers!)

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Watchmen (serious spoilers!)

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I love how polarizing this whole nonsense is. Fanboys are flipping their shit.

I can't wait until they announce the SEQUEL by Geoff Johns in the Fall. :roll:
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Sonofa...I'm moving some bookcases around today, clearing them off, dusting, rearranging stuff on them, etc.

I came across one of the three Watchmen Trades I own. I thought they were all in one storage or another and I was jonesing to reread it again and thought I'd have to go buy yet another copy. Now I don't. Huzzah.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
arnaky
bacon

Post by arnaky »

Watchmen is the longest running ongoing series in history to keep its original numbering, now that Marvel launched their "New 616" (or "MNu," as most of us call it derisively). It's too bad that Simon Furman died in a freak cottage cheese accident after creating it. Still, even he didn't compare to Nicieza's run. Tell me you didn't shit bricks when it was revealed the pregnant Supergirl had gone forward in time, had her baby, and come back--and then Fabian dropped the bombshell that the baby was taken into the distant past and became Wolverine! You wanna talk incest? I'm glad Erik Larsen retconned it so that baby was Sabretooth; that whole "fucked my mom and impregnated her with myself" thing was creepy as hell.

Too bad Nite Owl left the team when he thought Wolvie was a literal motherfucker and got killed by Bubastis because the rest of the team wasn't there to back him up. :(
*--For outstanding sobriety and a complete maintenance of composure.
Rollo Tornassi
bacon

Post by Rollo Tornassi »

I'm not into the smaller niche publishers like Marvel and National(and their imprint DC).

I primarily collect the Red Circle and Charleston Universes. And some of the Valiant books. But their retconning has got so convoluted, I'm about this close to Dropping X-O Manowar and all seven of its spinoff titles. Secret XO, Dark XO, XO Academy...it's like, as soon as the X-O movie came out, they went overboard on the titles they were pumping out. No thank you.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Going alllll the way back to the original question about Adrian lying about the three assistants' deaths. I think he was just explaining his answer if anybody inquired about their deaths at his sanctum. Since everyone else connected with the plot was "killed by killers who then killed each other" the only ones left were the assistants. And he had a plausible explanation ready for their death as well.

Here's what I kinda questioned upon my latest rereading. The Soviets almost immediately announce their arms reduction and exit from Afghanistan after the Squid explodes. Its in the assorted newsfeeds behind Adrian when hes all "I did it!" Why wouldn't they assume that the US was creating some new type of weapon that backfired on them? At the very least, they'd be suspicious and wait for more info. Wouldn't they?
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

And, true to form, I pick up something new every time I read it.
When Adrian is showing "regret" about killing millions, he...well, here:

His dream at night references the Black Freighter story. That's a cool touch I never picked up on before.
Giorgio A Tsoukalos
bacon

Post by Giorgio A Tsoukalos »

If you take the third panel and replace "Rorschach" in Dr. Manhattan's first speech balloon with "early humans," and add "without help from us, aliens from Stavromula Beta" after the word "civilization," you have proof that aliens from Stavromula Beta helped early man achieve civilization. Further, the only possible conclusion you can come to is that Dr. Manhattan is one of these aliens and, since he was created by Alan Moore, this means Alan Moore is, himself, an alien who must have built at least one of the pyramids. Really, it's the only logical conclusion one can come to in the face of this irrefutable evidence!
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

I just realized that in my mind Ozymandias speaks with Kevin Spacey's voice. Creepy.
"Something inside me....."
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Didio and Lee discuss 'Before Watchmen'

Jaesus, what a couple of assholes. Jim Lee in particular. As someone who comes from the creative side, his comments about Alan Moore are just depressing.

I'm so glad I dropped DC in August.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

And of course it's money grubbing time. What are, 6 different series to buy at the $3.99 price point per issue up here, and all of them are what, 6-8 issues minis? I sat there and looked, did some math, hummed & hawed about buying 1-2 different issues to test it out... then said fuck it. I was almost as sad as when I decided to not go to the baseball hall of fame & just kept driving. :(
"Something inside me....."
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Wait a year, and they'll be in paperback for less than ten bucks each on Amazon. If Amazon's the same in Canada, order the three with the best reviews, and the shipping will be free.

I understand the logic of having the paperback be cheaper than the floppies, because you get the collectibility of the floppies and get the story several months earlier, but, damn, we're talking $23.94 for a six-issue miniseries in floppy, vs probably $9.49 on Amazon for the paperback. That's a bit much, methinks.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I'm looking forward to spending $9.49 on all the floppie issues. All of them. Combined.
Thank you, discount bins.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

And I'm too stupid to know better.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Rorschach is 3 issues in and it’s going great so far.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

So, Frank Miller showed up in the most recent issue of Rorschach. Like, the Watchmen universe version of Miller is a character in the comic. Back in the 80’s he wrote The Dark Fife Returns which was a Pirate comic which made a classic pirate character from the 40s called the Seaman all grim and gritty and it was hugely popular and successful.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”