How I realized I was over Star Wars completely

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: How I realized I was over Star Wars completely

Post by Tom Foolery »

Lucasfilm announced the cancellation of an upcoming movie starring Daisy Ridley returning as Rey My-Name-is(not legally) Skywalker.

What? Oh, sorry, I misread the announcement. They announced they’re making the movie.
The cancellation will be forthcoming in a few weeks….
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

I am not excited about any of the 3 movies announced. Rey's story limped to what should have been an ending - for the love of god. The dawn of the force or whatever isn't interesting to me in any way. Filoni-movie simply means everything we see between now & then will be table setting - Ahsoka isn't going to bring any resolution to Rebels story whatsoever.
"Something inside me....."
Ran

Post by Ran »

Didn't they say Episode IX was going to be the last of the Skywalker Saga?

The Filoni announcement kind of reinforces my belief that the Mandolorian and Ashoka shows are going to merge and end up as the Thrawn story.

In some way, it seems like Disney is working on stuff from just before and just after the Sequel Trilogy to try to get everyone to like that 3 film shitfest they put out.

Oh, and it doesn't matter what tv show or movie he is in, Jack Black will only be Jack Black.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

All three of the “cameos”(which they were not, cameos are people being onscreen for like five seconds and you go ‘oh hey wasn’t that…?’ and by then the scene has moved on) completely took me out of the story. At least the earlier guest stars like Nick Nolte, Clancy Brown, Michael Beihn etc felt organically cast properly. This was the opposite of that.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Ran

Post by Ran »

Kathlene Kennedy was asked about Obi-Wan Season 2....
Kennedy also fielded an inquiry about a potential second season of the series “Obi-Wan Kenobi.” Some fans have pushed for a follow-up adventure for Ewan McGregor’s iconic Jedi.

“That is not an active development,” she said. “But I never say never, because there’s always the possibility. That show was so well-received and [director] Deborah Chow did such a spectacular job. Ewan McGregor really wants to do another. Everybody’s all hands on deck with what we’re doing right now, as you can see by what we showed everybody [at the Celebration]. We’ll turn our attention to that again maybe down the road.”
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I'm not broken up about that. I enjoyed seeing Ewen in the role again, but that show was all over the place - the inquisitors in live action were way more campy than menacing. In my mind Obi Wan sat & meditated the whole time, waiting for a chance to help Luke. I don't need his timeline filled up with adventures that drag him away from his vigil.
Ran

Post by Ran »

After watching this week's episode, the whole Jack Black part of episode now seems even more like filler. At least they tied in the Coruscant episode.

The Yes/No button thing was pretty funny.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

New visions. I'll edit this post as I get through them.

The first ones art style didn't suit me but the story ended well. 6 or 7/10.

Part 2 used childish looking art for the characters, but God damn this story got me. Really good. 9/10.

Part 3 was good as well. Almost claymation style characters against incredibly realistic backdrops. This felt like I was playing final fantasy vii again. Oh, and snowtroopers. 8/10

Part 4 is the thinly pastiched podrace for rebel pilot cadets & their families, hosted by wedge. Cute enough for one viewing. 6/10

Part 5 & 6 looked more like traditional anime. Nothing terrible but not on any list of things to rewatch. 6 or 7=10

Part 7 - Indian culture influenced episode about as an yet unseen inquisitor stalking a young force sensitive. Looked fine, was fine. Like most of these, I'm happy to watch them once & let them go. 6 or 7/10.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Watching ANH for the billionth time and had some random thoughts and questions

Owen and Ben both kind of mess with Luke. Owen talks about Obi-Wan and Luke's father, then tells him to forget about it, only to bring it up a again a minute later. Ben said that Owen didn't want Luke to now certain shit because Owen didn't want Luke following Ben on some fool idealistic crusade, only to hand him a lightsaber, offer to teach him about the force, and get him to go to Alderran.

What did Han and Chewbacca do with the bodies of the 2 Stormtroopers and the scanning crew?

I'm probably over thinking this, but George Lucas doesn't seem to understand garbage. How did all that junk get into the Death Star trash compactor, and how did they get it out after it was mashed? Also, in ESB, Vader's Star Destroyer dumps their garbage before jumping to hyperspace. The garbage is bigger that the Millennium Falcon. Also, it seems like garbage of that size should have been dropped out of the bottom of the Star Destroyer, and not the back end. What was all that stuff and where the hell did that come from?
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I’d always assumed they put the bodies in the smuggling hold they were hiding in. Temporarily of course.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I wanted to be excited about the Ashoka trailer, but watching it just reminds me I haven’t watched the first five seasons of Ashoka.

And I’m not fucking bingeing the entire thing before it comes out next month.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

You won't need to. Read a concise but good review of the 4 seasons of Rebels & pay particular attention to how season 4 wraps up. Long story short, Thrawn disappears into hyperspace with Ezra Bridger & the rest of the team with Ahsoka appear to be ready to go on the hunt for them. The wrap-up looks VERY much like what we've seen in parts of the trailers, so they're going to rehash it.

I've been spending time cataloguing figures. I'm at just under 1000 from vintage through The Vintage Collection. I am purposefully doing comparisons of figures from the last few years because there is some significant duplication & I haven't been careful with my purchases. I'll likely be able to put up between 200 & 300 figures for sale.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

So…Marrok is clearly Ezra right? That’s not just me?
Is anyone gonna be shocked when the helmet comes off? Anyone?

I’m kinda bored so far. I guess I’m used to chirpy, bratty Ahsoka and not dour stand around being moody Ahsoka.
Were Hera and Sabine this bland on the cartoon?
The villains are forgettable, especially the old lady. Where the fuck is Thrawn?
The only bright spot is Tennant as the droid. And Chopper. I cracked up when he was onscreen during the space battle.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

For sure it is. People seem to want to overthink things (the same way I did, honestly, when I was SURE Luke was Ezra until the hood came down in S2Ep8 of Mando, but I digress).

I'm just sitting here waiting for Thrawn to show up. If they hold him back until the last episode or 2 I'll be pretty cranky.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

i'm hoping that Marrok is not who everyone thinks he is, but we'll see. i'm digging the show. weird that they've made Morgan a descendant of the Dathomir Sith Witches, she seemed like just an imperial governor or something in her previous appearance in Mando S2, no evidence of Force sensitivity, though i guess dueling a Jedi kinda tips your hat a bit. i'm interested in the backstory for Baylan Skoll and his apprentice. i like that Ahsoka is reinforcing the Last Jedi take that anyone can train to use the Force, just that some are more adept than others. Midichlorians be damned.

EDIT: the reason i'm hoping the Marrok reveal is not the expected is partly selfish - in conjunction with the lightsabers i've been building, i've been coming up with my own backstory as an exiled Jedi who survived Order 66 (i mean, seriously, who didn't at this point?). i like the whole "deconstructed Jedi" look of Obi-Wan during the first few episodes of that show more than the "traditional" tunic/robes/etc.

anyway, the inquisitors kidnapped his padawan as a trap, and killed him when they were unsuccessful at capturing the master. the master is holding on to the padawan's lightsaber and plans to use it in the duel against the inquisitor he saw kill the padawan. finally, during that confrontation, the inquisitor he thinks killed the padawan is revealed to BE his padawan, brainwashed to continue the hunt against the remaining Jedi.
Life is short. STUNT IT!