How I realized I was over Star Wars completely

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: How I realized I was over Star Wars completely

Post by Tom Foolery »

The design of Thrawn’s Stormtroopers was cool. There’s a story there with the individualism of each ‘trooper’s armor, and the fact that Thrawn let them do that after whatever challenges they’ve faced in another galaxy. I’d watch that series before this snoozefest.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

The gold faced Stormtrooper leader guy was kind of weird, but the rest Stormtroopers were pretty cool. Supposedly it is based on the Japanese art of repairing pottery.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I literally laughed at the gold-faced Stormtrooper.
It looks so unbelievably bad.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I didn't like it either. Someone said it reminded them of Gladiator - but to me it was an "even worse somehow" Captain Phasma.

I like plain stormtroopers en masse.... they're way more than daunting enough in their plain white armor. But that's just me.

6 episodes into this series & we have the makings of a fairly good, fast paced opening 40 minutes of a 2hr film..... but it has dragged on for an extra 4hrs.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

jjreason wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:52 pm I didn't like it either. Someone said it reminded them of Gladiator - but to me it was an "even worse somehow" Captain Phasma.
Didn’t like Enoch, but didn’t hate him either. Phasma, like the Knights of Ren, was a big bupkes burger. If this guy is even marginally badass, I’ll forgive the face.
I like plain stormtroopers en masse.... they're way more than daunting enough in their plain white armor. But that's just me.
All the plain white troopers didn’t survive. These guys are what’s left. Maybe these guys hit what they aim at.
6 episodes into this series & we have the makings of a fairly good, fast paced opening 40 minutes of a 2hr film..... but it has dragged on for an extra 4hrs.
This sums up my feelings perfectly. Way too much filler.
George’s favorite direction was “Faster.” This show could learn from that.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

obviously, the Chimera (Thrawn's ISD) and the troops in it have seen some shit. the gold repairs all throughout the ship and the gold repairs to the armor as well as the red ribbons all around the troops show that they're using some combination of local resources and nightsister alchemy to either protect them, keep them alive, or reanimate them after they're dead. Enoch's voice sounds a lot like Marrok's, and we saw what he was made of.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I take back what I said. Zombie Stormtroopers are stupid.

Rosario Dawson’s lazy ass saber swinging to “deflect” blaster fire had me laughing, but I was borderline getting angry at whoever decided that looked good enough to put on screen. At one point she was swinging both of her blades awkwardly in circles, I was like ‘what the shit is that?’

I haven’t watched more than a half dozen episodes of Rebels, but the guy playing Ezra came the closest of the entire live action cast to capturing his animated character. That said, his reunion with Hera and everybody was about as limp as it gets.
“Hi. I’m home.”
Yeah, that’s what you say when you left five minutes ago to run to the bodega to get salsa for your chips. Not what you say when you’ve literally been in a different galaxy for over ten years. This shit was written by AI.

Like jj said, maybe somebody can edit together a ‘dont waste my time’ cut of the series into a solid hour/90 minute version. Otherwise, I have no desire to rewatch this.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

The fight scenes were pretty limp for much of this series. Sabine's initial fight scenes showed less power & technique than Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman (totally forgivable due to the absurd hotness, but I digress). Morgan looked the most capable by the end but the sword & makeup combo felt too silly.

At the end of the day these shows are all just bonus tracks. I may not be thrilled with everything I see, but at least we know that Boba survived (and how!), and we finally know what happened to Ezra & Thrawn (still waiting on the how). As a Star Wars fan, I'm happy they dealt with this stuff.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Spoilers, not bothering with the tag because Ahsoka was shit from start to finish.

Was Huyang on Rebels? If not, Filoni didn't even know his own canon.
Huyang didn't know Kanan: he knew Caleb Dune. Even if he knew Kanan's post-Order 66 life, it doesn't feel right that he'd refer to him as Kanan.

They just had Kyber crystals sitting around?

A callback/joke to "Do or do not..." when Sabine didn't know Yoda? And it's not like it was a popular catch phrase that Yoda was known for around the Jedi Temple that Ahsoka would know it and pass it along.

Did the Star Destroyer really have to ride the temple cowgirl?

Did anyone have lightsaber training before they started filming? That was so awkward to watch. It was like the Star Wars Kid all over.

Wow, major damage to the ship repaired in record time!

So, did Balan just say "fuck it" and strand himself (and the apprentice he abandons), on a strange, unknown planet?

Anakin? Why? I laughed at that. Pointless.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Diabolical wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:51 am Spoilers, not bothering with the tag because Ahsoka was shit from start to finish.

Was Huyang on Rebels? If not, Filoni didn't even know his own canon.
Huyang didn't know Kanan: he knew Caleb Dune. Even if he knew Kanan's post-Order 66 life, it doesn't feel right that he'd refer to him as Kanan.

Was that Huyang's ship? Who just flys around the with a bunch of spare lightsabre parts?
A callback/joke to "Do or do not..." when Sabine didn't know Yoda? And it's not like it was a popular catch phrase that Yoda was known for around the Jedi Temple that Ahsoka would know it and pass it along.
Completely missed that.
Did the Star Destroyer really have to ride the temple cowgirl?
Take that temple you dirty Star Destroyer! OYES!
Did anyone have lightsaber training before they started filming? That was so awkward to watch. It was like the Star Wars Kid all over.
Those were all weird. They also seemed to pose a lot.
Huyang had the help of those nomadic pseudo-Gungans that had little armored cars despite being on a wasteland planet that didn't have any manufacturing.
So, did Balan just say "fuck it" and strand himself (and the apprentice he abandons), on a strange, unknown planet?

Anakin? Why? I laughed at that. Pointless.
Yes and yes.

It seems like they cut a bunch of stuff because they never explained the cargo on the Star Destroyer, the importance of the sword they gave Morgan Elsbeth, or that big Lord of the Rings statue Balan was standing on.

Is Morgan Elsbeth the least Star Wars-y name in all of Star Wars?

I checked the internet and I'm not the only one who thinks Thrawn is a blue Elon Musk.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

The statue is "The Father", from the Mortis Trilogy of Clone Wars cartoons - maybe the most odd/interesting offshoot story they dealt with in that whole series. Weirdly religious, it deals with Obi Wan & Ani encountering what almost felt like the source of the force. There are little callbacks to it all over Rebels & Ahsoka - the white owl Ahsoka sees all the time is theorized to be the daughter's alternate form (for one). Matt Smith was going to play the Son in live action as part of Rise of Skywalker in the early stages, but that was deemed to be too deep a cut for the masses to appreciate.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/star-wars- ... overlords/
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Ran wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:38 pm
Diabolical wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:51 am Was Huyang on Rebels? If not, Filoni didn't even know his own canon.

Was that Huyang's ship? Who just flys around the with a bunch of spare lightsabre parts?
it seems that Huyang is the last thread of deep knowledge to the original Jedi Order and is trying to keep it alive. i'd assume that means collecting the components necessary to assemble new lightsabers.
Completely missed that.
in the episode of Book of Boba Fett where we see Luke training Grogu, Ahsoka is also there hanging out at one point. Luke invokes the "do or do not" line with Grogu, so chances are he also mentioned it to Ahsoka at some point.
Huyang had the help of those nomadic pseudo-Gungans that had little armored cars despite being on a wasteland planet that didn't have any manufacturing.
they also continuously repaired a Star Destroyer, so there is obviously some sort of industry/mechanic knowledge on the planet.
It seems like they cut a bunch of stuff because they never explained the cargo on the Star Destroyer, the importance of the sword they gave Morgan Elsbeth, or that big Lord of the Rings statue Balan was standing on.
i don't think they cut anything, it was all just setup for season 2. i will admit it did seem a little bit of a quick wrap-up.

the Nightsisters of Dathomir famously entombed their dead in accessible ways (on the planet Dahomir, they were in these sort of hanging chrysalis pods - we see them in Jedi: Fallen Order as well as during TCW and Rebels) and reanimated them when they needed backup. the coffin-like pods were removed from the catacombs of the tower, so presumably they are the bodies of dead Nightsisters that Thrawn plans to use in his reestablishment of the Galactic Empire.

Baylan is searching for power - the Mortis storyline of the Father, Son, and Daughter also includes a mortal who worshiped them and attended to their needs. she wanted to join them in immortality as "The Mother" so she did some forbidden stuff and became a corrupted immortal, Abeloth. that aspect of the storyline is currently considered "legends" but the inclusion of the Mortis immortals in TCW and Thrawn in Rebels opens the door for other recanonizations. most of the speculation i've seen thinks this is the voice that is calling to Baylan. it just sucks that Ray Stevenson passed away, his performance was the standout in the series and his storyline truly seems to just be beginning. i wonder if they'll abandon that plot, digitally mimic him, or recast him. i've heard Sean Bean and Liev Schreiber as fancastings and both seem pretty good. might both be too expensive, though.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Literally the front page headline of our national news website today (December 16th, 2023).

I'll include the link in case anyone cares to listen:

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1- ... gloriously
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-12-16 105406.png
Screenshot 2023-12-16 105406.png (512.01 KiB) Viewed 404 times
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Ahhhh, the Holiday Special. SW fans who’ve never seen it desperately want to. Fans who have seen it, wish they hadn’t.

I have a VHS copy of it somewhere, but now I don’t have a VCR anymore to view it.

Ran

Post by Ran »

I'm pretty sure It is on Youtube, but I'm not going to check because I don't want that kind of filth in my browser history.