Another new Batman animated TV show

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Another new Batman animated TV show

Post by anarky »

Knight Time is where Supes fills in? The scene where Bane fights "Batman" is priceless.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Ha ha. Beware the Batman is already off the schedule over at CN. That didn't take long.
And from previous series (Green Lantern, etc) we know that it probably doesn't end well for Bats.

I bet they're working on a yet a different take on Batman and a "World's Finest" type Bat/Supes show will get announced within the year. To tie into the [gigantic air quotes of sarcasm] "Movieverse" [/gigantic air quotes of sarcasm]
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Tom Foolery wrote:I bet they're working on a yet a different take on Batman and a "World's Finest" type Bat/Supes show will get announced within the year. To tie into the [gigantic air quotes of sarcasm] "Movieverse" [/gigantic air quotes of sarcasm]
co-starring the animated version of halle berry's catwoman and ryan reynold's green lantern.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Funny, I was actually told by a few people over the weekend that Beware the Batman was much better than it initially looked, and planned to check it out. I guess there's no point wasting my time.

I'm not even in the same time zone as kidding when I say that, if they could resurrect that fucking awful Teen Titans bullshit, they need to bring back both the DCAU and B&TB. A sane Warner Brothers would recognize that the people who want these can keep them separate from the DCnU bullshit quite easily, and just give the original teams free reign. But that would require a sane WB, and even the Joker would say those fuckers are crazy.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

DCAU will never come back. Dini and Timm have both ditched DC and McDuffie is dead.

Oh, and DC HATES ITS OWN PROPERTIES to the point where if someone comes up with a good idea, Nelson, Didio, Harras, Johns and Lee gang Abuse that person to death, then hide the body in the Salton Sea. Then get their extended family fired from every job they have with trumped up pedo allegations, burn their house, get their kids sold into the white slave trade and contribute to the opposing candidate of whatever political party they were in. They took a vote and decided they would rather travel back in time and give BinLaden a heads up that SealTeam6 was inbound, than do ANYTHING positive with ANY DC property ever. If they knew you kinda still thought Batman was cool despite everything they've done, they actually have a dirty bomb protocol set up and would drive to your hometown and set it off in your kids' school. THAT'S how much they despise their own DC IPs.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

anarky

Post by anarky »

Not animated, but Gotham looks to have a good shot at not sucking ass.
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock is so awesome.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

As someone who's not too familiar with any of the comics, were the villains always basically the same characters their entire lives there as well, or did they have some character development? The vibe I'm getting from the TV show cast reveals is that they were all pretty much born as creepy assholes.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

No, not usually...but there are a few differing origins of many of the characters.

And it has often been said that the appearance of Batman may have triggered and influenced many of Gotham's weirdos.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Penguin was always an eccentric who liked tuxes. The only real origin for him I know of is that he was bullied because his mom dressed him funny, beat the shit out of the bullies, got sorta drunk on the power, and turned to crime, with his weird clothes becoming his trademark.

Catwoman, who the hell knows her origin this week?
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

so, how come Superman didn't show up in B:TBATB until the first episode of season 3?

also, the line where Jimmy is complaining to Perry White:

Jimmy: "Superman's become a real di..."
Lois: "...ifferent person!"

fucking awesome.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Spoiler free, since someone appears to be waiting a few days to see it.

Gotham ain't half bad.

Bits of it feel a bit shoe-horned, but if they keep developing this world, good things could come from this show.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I enjoyed it. The only small drawback so far is that Ben McKenzie isn't the most emotive actor.

My work schedule is mostly night shifts so I miss the majority of TV shows now. So i probably won't get to watch the series regularly. And I don't have a DVR or Netflix.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Between this, the Green Arrow thing & the new Flash starting up (in universe with GA I believe, based on the ads), DC might (finally) be onto something with the prime time tv bit. Good for them.
"Something inside me....."
anarky

Post by anarky »

Man, that turned out to be mediocre, bordering on awful. :( Bad acting all around, full-blown character assassination of Harvey Bullock, and, well, suddenly Anakin Skywalker building C-3PO doesn't seem quite so forced in comparison.

Gordon's a new cop, but went straight to detective? Did I get this right? No Chicago background, just BAM! a detective right out of the army.

The Wayne murder is the weakest version I've seen. No emotion, no attempt by Thomas to save Martha at all. And Catwoman saw it, of course. I thought it strange that they eliminated Leslie Thompkins altogether; the longer form of an ongoing show would've worked ideally for her character.

Poison Ivy being so changed just to make her the daughter of the guy who took the fall for the Wayne murder was stupid. Period. No, not period. Stupid isn't a strong enough word. And what was with the "he never killed anyone," but he sure as fuck started shooting at cops (who wouldn't shoot him back for the longest time) the minute they showed up?

Apparently swimming a few hundred feet drove Penguin batshit insane or something? The ending made no fucking sense at all.

And Edward Nygma as a forensic scientist? That's just a bit too much for me. Fifty bucks says that, if the show lasts, the stand-up comic we see in the one scene will wind up becoming the Joker, and the guy whose wallet is stolen by future Catwoman will be Azrael.

The real shame was that it was a full 52 minutes in before we got a remotely interesting character in Carmine Falcone.