Big score........

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Big score........

Post by Tom Foolery »

I braved the Coronavirus and went to a large(ish) gathering of people at the local comic con today. Mostly $1 per issue at three tables.

First table, the guy had 50 cent books and I only found nine issues I needed. But he also had a couple $3 or 2 for $5 boxes and I usually don’t pay that much for books, but I ended up getting 8 more books for $20.
The 50 cent books were
America’s Best Comics Special oneshot.
James Bond:Vargr 1, 3-5
Promethea 2-4. Just need 1, 5, 6 and some sort of Cover Gallery oneshot.
Tomb Raider 9. Still need 17 more from the old Image/TopCow series.

And the 8 for $20 were
Amazing Spidey 798. Which I thought was the 797 I needed. Serves me right for not marking it down. Oh well, two copies.
Deadpool/GLI Summer Spectacular oneshot from 2007.
Many Worlds of Tesla Strong oneshot.
Nightwing 1, 4. Just missing issue 22 from the Nu52 run.
Power Girl 11, 12. Just missing 15 and 19 from her 2009 series.
X-Men Origins:Sabretooth oneshot. From a series of Origins oneshots from ‘09. Just missing Colossus, Jean Grey and forget-ever-finding-it-cheap DEADPOOL.

Second table I spent $60 on dollar books.

Uncanny Avengers 28. The Lenticular variant.
Batgirl 27, 29. The current series variant covers.
Rise of the Black Panther 5, 6. Still need 1-4.
Black Panther 5, 7. From his current ongoing. One of the very few books I don’t currently buy.
Detective 965. Slowly filling in the Rebirth run.
Batman Future’s End oneshot. The Lenticular cover.
Dr Strange/Punisher 3. Finished the mini.
Gamora 2. Finished her short ongoing.
I Am Groot 4, 5. Still need 1-3.
Harley Quinn 2. From her current series.
Hulk 11. The correct one this time. Finished the series.
Iron Doom 3, 7. Just need issue 5.
Ironheart 5, 7, 9. From Riri’s short ongoing.
Killmonger 4, 5. Still need 1-3.
Lockjaw 2.
Madame Xanadu 29. Finally finished her Vertigo series. Been looking for about 12 years.
Miracle Man 13, 14 and issue 3 from the second series. Finished the second, just need issue 15 from the first.
Mr and Mrs X 5. The Rogue/Gambit ongoing.
Monsters Unleashed 7, 11. Finished the series.
Old Man Hawkeye 1.
Old Man Logan 36-38, 40, 41, 44, 45, 48. Still missing 13 issues, but nothing past issue 25 now. And I just read this a few weeks ago.
Rocket/Groot 7. I’m surprised I can keep these two characters’ series straight about what I need and what I don’t. Fuckin’ hell.
Runaways 6, 7. From the current series. Another one I don’t collect.
Agents of SHIELD 9, 10. Just need 3 and 4 now.
Shuri 2, 5.
Spidey 3, 5, 12. Just need issue 2.
Peter Parker, Spectacular Spider-Man 297. The lenticular variant.
Spider-Man(Miles) 234. The lenticular variant.
Poe Dameron Annual 2.
Darth Maul 2, 4. Finished the Marvel mini.
Star Wars Tag&Bink oneshot.
War of the Realms 2. Variant cover. Didn’t know what this was until I got it home.
Amazing Nightcrawler 1.

The third table also had $1 books. I was walking towards the door having not found much else at the con and found him almost by accident. Dropped another $80 on more recent books.
Black Panther 9, 10, 14. From his current series.
FF Grand Design 1, 2. From that shitty Tom Scioli guy. Would never pay $6 an issue for his shit, but $2 to be a completist is okay.
Iron Heart 8.
Marvel Tales:Ravencroft oneshot. Ironically, one of the three reprint stories in this issue was ASM 798, which I accidentally bought at the other table.
Mr and Mrs X 11, 12. The last two issue of Rogue and Gambit’s short ongoing. Still need 6-10.
Runaways 2, 9-13, 15, 17, 18, 20. A good chunk of their current ongoing.
Shuri 2-5, 7, 8, 10. Almost all of T’Challa’s sister’s short ongoing.
Conan 2099 and Doom 2099. The two oneshots from the recent mini-event that I had missed.
Wolverine:Long Night 2, 4, and 5. I think I finished the mini, but I didn’t have any of it written down.
Yondu 1-3.
Last year, Marvel did an X-Men event called Age of X-Man which was an alternate universe like Age of Apocalypse. They had six minis come out during the event that I skipped entirely. Long story short, I am now only missing 3 of the 30 issues from the event. Boom.

And I got a bunch of DC variant issues from their current books.
Aquaman 39, 41, 42, 49
Batgirl 26, 27, 29, 35
Flash 51, 53, 54, 56, 58, 59
Red Hood 31, 32, 35
Wonder Woman 51, 52, 70-73.
And this guy had soooo much more stuff, but I had stupidly already paid full price for most of it. Ugh.

Now I have to reorganize the fucking boxes I just organized because a bunch of this stuff goes in them.

Next convention is in just a few weeks. First weekend of April.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Almost 150 issues of various Wolverine series for about $1.50 Canadian per issue, including shipping. Included in this batch was the Old Man Logan stuff by Mark Millar, and thankfully those books all appear to have arrived in great shape. I worry about getting big lots sent in the mail, but this didn't have to go far & it got here quickly. There were quite a few dupes in here but that's ok. Once the dust settles & I have done the accounting, I should be within just a few issues of having everything from Patch Wolvie #1 through to Death of Wolverine.

EDITED: Did the homework, here's what I've got figured out so far.....

Wolverine (1988) 1-189 complete.

Wolverine (2003) 1-74 complete.... all the way up to 90 in fact. I need to check & see why they stopped the legacy numbering at 74. Also missing issue 900 but I'm not counting that as necessary (EDITED: 75-90 is "Dark Wolverine", the introduction of Daken that carries through Dark Reign & Siege).

Wolverine Weapon X (2009) 1-16. Missing these. Suck a dick, missing comics.

Wolverine (2010) 1-20 complete.

Wolverine (2010) 300-317. Missing these, and the issue 1000 as well.

Wolverine (2013) 1-13. Missing issue 3 only. Have the rest.

Wolverine (2014) 1-12. I'm not sure how much I have of this set and I can't confirm until I'm home in a couple of weeks. I'm sure I have the last 4 issues which were the ".... months to die" issues leading up to the Death of Wolverine event. I have that set & that's where I'm calling it quits.

343 ongoing issues, not including the current run, the original 4 issue limited series or the 125 or so issues of Marvel Comics Presents, or the 50 issues of Wolverine Origins, or the 10 billion specials & limited series, hundreds of X-Men & Avengers issues..... the hairy bugger is the best he is at what he does, and what he does is appear in a metric fuck ton of comics.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The 2003 series went to 90 because Daken: Dark Wolverine took over the book for those final issues 75-90.

After he “died” he never really went away because they had Laura’s All New Wolverine ongoing and the Old Man Logan ongoing and he’d show up constantly in flashbacks in other people’s books as they’d reminisce about how Logan touched their lives. I would’ve been more impressed if Marvel had killed him and then also just quit him cold turkey for those five years.

Since he’s been back he’s only had a couple( 3 maybe 4?) short minis and his first post-comeback ongoing only just started; issue 3 just came out last week.

That is a spectacular haul!
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I was really happy. Facebook auction groups, I'm telling you, every now & again something good comes along. The flip side though is seeing how much people are paying for brand new books - INSANE prices - like $900 for Venom 3 that came out LAST YEAR & shit like that. Waaaay, way too much. People are silly.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

It’s been almost six months since I went to a dealer show/con! But yesterday, they finally had the usual one I go to 4-5 times a year. It was at a different location since the Ramada Inn decided to not let them rent their conference room.

Bought my usual long box of 340 books for $110. Then went to a couple other tables and 20 more books for $25. Here’s what I got.

American Vampire 6. 8 issues to go. Or 9 if you count the minis and anthologies.
Ant-Man 6. Just need issue 5 from the Irredeemable series.
Arion 6, 8, 10-15. About half of the 35 issue DC series from the early 80s.
Avengers 198,199, 203, 225.
Batman:Dark Victory 2. The sequel to Long Halloween. I already have the TPB so this has never been a priority for me, but if I find the single floppies, I grab them.
Batman Arkham Unhinged 9. Only 5 issues to go.
Batman Arkham Knight:Genesis 2.
Blackbolt 11. Still need 2-5.
Black Panther 19. From the current series. It’s like the one Marvel ongoing I’m not getting.
D4VE 2, 3. Finished the first mini. Already have the second mini. Not sure what it’s about. Robots?
DC Presents 88.
DC Holiday Special 2010. Might’ve already had this one.
Deceivers 1-5. 5 of a 6 issue mini from Boom! studios. No idea what it’s about.
Doom Patrol 80, 83. Only 30 issues to go from the 90s Vertigo run, most of those being 1-20.
Executive Assistant Assassins 14.
Fate 3-15. From the semi short revamp of Dr Fate from the mid-90s. Only issues 16-21 to go. Ironically, whoever had these had them in those really nice Mylar bags(the crinkly kind) and nice acid free boards. The bags/boards are probably worth more than the actual books.
Fight Club 2. Issue 4. Four more to go.
Ghost/Batgirl 1. Still need issue 2.
Ghost 11. From the ‘13 series. Three more to go.
Green Lantern:Dragon Lord 2. Still need 1 and 3 from this mid 90s Prestige mini. I have very few GL books left to find. These are 2 of them.
Grendel:Devil Inside 3
Harbinger Files 2. Finished this mini.
Harbinger 7. Slowly whittling all these old Valiant series down. Only 8 Harbingers to find.
Haunt 6. Just need issue 5 from the Kirkman/McFarlane collaboration.
9 issues of Hellblazer, the long running Vertigo book. My collection of this is spotty to say the least. I’m pretty sure I have the Final Issue, but beyond that...
Imperium 5, 7-14. Only 3 issues to go for this modern Valiant series.
Immortal Brothers oneshot. Another Valiant book with Archer, Armstrong, Eternal Warrior, etc.
Couple of James Bond 007 books.
Jean Grey 10. Might’ve needed 9 instead. Whoops.
JSA Classified 33. FINISHED the series. Yay!
Kid Colt oneshot. A 2009 Marvel oneshot about the old Western hero. I honestly may have this somewhere already.
Killmonger 3. Just need issue 1 and 2 of the new mini.
Legion of Night 2. A Marvel prestige mini from the 90s by Whilce Portacio that I didn’t know existed until I found the first issue recently. Now I have both issues. Finished.
Legion of Super Heroes 89, 93. Only 7 issue and an annual to go from the ‘89 series. Getting close.
Lord Pumpkin 0. This is an Ultraverse oneshot that wasn’t on my list, so I don’t know if I already had it or if it just slipped under my radar. I have it now, either way. It was also in one of those fancy Mylar bags.
Lucifer 16, 26, 37. Only 22 issues to go from the Vertigo spinoff of Sandman.
Luke Cage 5. Only 4 issues to go from his most recent solo ongoing.
Magnus Robot Fighter 14, 59-62. From the first Valiant series.
Magnus RF 6, 7. From the second Valiant series.
Magnus RF 1. From the Dark Horse mini. Finished the series.
Marauders 6. Shit. I needed issue 5.
A bunch of old Marvel Spotlight, Marvel Tales, and Marvel Triple Action books. Not in great, but not in terrible condition. Fun for reading/nostalgia.
I [Heart]Marvel. Five different oneshots from 2006 that are romance(?) or satire of romance books. I think I had one of these from another haul, but had nothing to go on, so I did research when I got home and found all five.
Micronauts 31. This old Marvel series has never been a priority for me, but the issue was in pretty good condition, so I threw it in the box.
New Mutants 1. The regular cover from the current ongoing. I originally got the Variants of all the first issues, with the intention of finding the regular covers on the cheap down the road. One down, several to go.
Ninjak 2. From the ‘97 series.
Omega Men 9-14, 16, 17, 19, 21-23, 27-31, 34. About halfway done with the early 80s DC run. Issue 3 is the 1st app of Lobo, so good luck ever finding that cheap.
100 Bullets 26, 33, 35, 39-42, 44, 49, 50, 53, 54, 65, 68, 69, 72, 79, 80,87, 88, 90. A spotty run of the 100 issue series. I had 90-100 from awhile back, but I didn’t enjoy it all that much, so it’s low on my find list.
Paper Girls 22, 23. I think I have the first issue or two, but didn’t stick with it.
Power Man/Iron Fist 58, 59.
Power of Prime 1-4
Prime infinity.
Rai 8.
R.E.B.EL.S. 6. Only 1 more issue to go from the 90s DC series.
Revolutionaries 5. The Hasbroverse series.
Rocketeer At War 3. Finished the mini.
Rom 7. Three different covers of the same issue.
Runaways 19, 22-24. Was thoroughly enjoying this newest series, so I’m glad to have found more issues to catch up on. Still missing 6 early issues and 25 up(it’s on issue 31 so far. Not sure if it got Covid cancelled or what)
Savage Dragon 61, 84.
Secret Wars 5 Variant cover.
Shadowman 39, 41. Only 4 more to go.
She-Hulk 162, 163. Finished the newest ongoing that briefly reverted to Legacy numbering.
Sovereigns 0. A Dynamite “event” mini starring all the Gold Key characters, Magnus, Turok, Solar, etc. Now i need to find the rest of the series.
Space Bandits 2-4. Missing 1 and 5 of this Mark Millar Image book.
Amazing Spider-Girl 21.
Marvel Select:Spider-Man 3. Finished this “mini” finally.
Spider-Woman 14. Just need issue 16 to finish Jess Drew’s next most recent ongoing. The one where she had the baby.
Star-Lord 5. I think I finished this series. But this guy has so many short lived “ongoings” I might have the wrong issue 5.
A couple of Star Wars:Tales of the Jedi issues.
SW:Poe Dameron 30, 31. The final two issues of the series. I still need 20-27, and 29.
Stormwatch:Team Achilles 15, 23. Finished the series.
Superman Annual 10.
Superman:King of the World oneshot. Might already have this.
Tarot 1. This was a recent Avengers/Defenders crossover mini that my guy never ordered any of. Still need the other three issues.
Thief of Thieves 39.
Thor 327.
Mighty Thor 9. So I kept grabbing the wrong Thor 9 because he’s had a bunch of ongoing books that keep getting relaunched every other year. I’m pretty sure I got the right one this time. So now I have every Thor issue from 337 up.
Tomb Raider 11.
A few Transformers issues.
11 Wicked+Divine issues.
The Wild Storm 3, 7, 9, 10, 12, 14. From the recent Warren Ellis relaunch of the ‘WildStorm’ universe.
A few Witchblade issues.
Hunt for Wolverine:Mystery in Madripoor 4. Honestly, I thought all these “return of Wolverine” tie in minis would be easier to find down the road. That’s why I skipped them.
X 16.
X-Men Classic 100. Just need 43 and 87 for a full run of the old reprint series.
X-O Manowar 51, 52, 54, 56.

And 99 issue of recent Nu52/Rebirth and beyond DC books. Won’t bother listing them all, but I did find Superman 49 and finished the NU52 run of that series.

After that I went around to the other tables; for a $1 each I found

Gotham Academy Annual 1. Finished that series.
Grendel Tales:Devil’s Choices 4. Finished that series.
Justice League of America 228. From 1984.
Lobo Annual 2.

Then at the final table, the guy $2 books or get 15 for $20. I got 15 books.

Deadpool 52, 53, 56, 59. Finding DP issues for barely over a buck is a rarity.
The Star Wars 0.
The lenticular legacy covers for Black Panther, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Venom, and All New Wolverine.
Batman 40. The Nu52 Snyder series. Still need 11 issues and an Annual.
New Suicide Squad 2. Just need issues 1 and 4 from the Nu52 series.
Starfire 1. Finished the Nu52 series.
Superman;American Alien 7.
Titans Special oneshot. Spun out of the No Justice mini.

I have no idea when the next show will take place. These things have been getting announced, then cancelled/postponed fairly regularly.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I went to a grand opening & perused the dollar books, got a handful of books that will just be disposable readers because I felt bad not buying anything out of a couple of hundred long boxes. I think I got one issue of Web of Spider-Man that might make into my actual collection.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Big score......

Post by Tom Foolery »

Went to a slightly bigger “Con” over in Coralville/Iowa City(where the University of Iowa is). Stopped at 7 different tables and spent $135 to find 120 books. And also splurged and got six custom LEGO figures(or knock-offs, if you’re a purist) for another $20. Also had to pay $5 entry fee for me and my GF, and $4 parking(WTF?) so another $14 rounding up we’ll say $150 spent on 120 comics. But I found some great stuff, so I’m gonna count this expedition as a win.
Here’s what I got.

Table 1 had $2 books but cheaper if you bought more. I got 21 for $30
Spirits of Vengeance 1, Cable 150, and Deadpool 287. The Lenticular variant Legacy covers. Now that I’ve been finding more of these, I looked up to see how many there actually were. 53 of these fuckers. I’m nowhere close to completing them.
Batman:Poison Ivy oneshot from 1997. Doesn’t tie-in with the movie but was released to coincide with the release. There was a Freeze oneshot at the same time.
Mr and Mrs X 10. Still need 4 issues from the short Rogue/Gambit ongoing.
Ultimate Spider-Man 2-5. The original run! Great condition! I’m only missing 1 and 15 from the entire series and NINE issues total from the entire Ultimate saga.
Weapon X 7. Just need issue 22 now. This issue was part of that Weapon H bullshit crossover with Hulk that are stupid expensive for no reason.
Batman 9-11, 19, 38. From the Nu52 run. I’m only missing 0, 1-3, 5, 7, 8, and 37.
Harley Quinn 1, 3. From the Rebirth series. Only a handful of issues to go.
Secret Origins 10. Just need issue 4 from the Nu52 run.
Superman:American Alien 6. Just need the first issue.
The Rebirth oneshots for Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman.

The second table had $1 books. I got 21.
Astro City 1. The original issue.
Astro City 1, 2. From the second series.
Grendel:Black White Red 3. Finally finished this anthology. Finally.
Grendel Tales:Devils Apprentice 2,3. Finished the mini. I’m also getting close to a complete Grendel run.
Grendel Cycle oneshot. A better copy. My other one was scuffed.
Planetary 13, 24, and the Authority crossover oneshot. Apart from a “Reader” issue I am FINISHED with this series and can finally sit down and read it! Except it’s in different places and not all together....yet.
Star Wars:Last Command 4.
WildC.A.T.S. 47, Wildcats 3,5, 11, and Wildcats3.0 13,14, and 23. Apart from a 2000 Annual, I finished the first 3 Wildcats series. Still need 5 issues from the ‘08 series and a couple oneshots, but otherwise 99% done.
Witchblade:Infinity oneshot.

Table 3 had 50 cent books. I got 11.
Doctor Fate 11, 13, 17. Finished the ‘16 series.
Savage Dragon 23, 24, 42-44
Wicked+Divine 10, 13, 20

Fourth table had $1 books, but 35 for $20 if you bought more. I got 35.
Armorines 12. The old Valiant series.
Astro City 4-6. Just need 2 and 3 from the original mini.
Astro City 2, 5, 10, 12, 16-22. A good chunk of the second series.
Batman:Deathmask 1. Batman Manga series
Books of Magic 1, 2. The old Vertigo series with Tim Hunter, the original Harry Potter.
Eternal Warrior 43.
Gambit 1. From the ‘04 series. A bit scuffy. Will keep looking for a better copy.
Green Lantern:Dragon Lord 1. Just need issue 3. And apart from that issue and retro Annual from the late 90s, I’ll have a full GL run from 200 of his original series up. All the spinoffs, minis, oneshots, etc.
Legionnaires 33. Only two more issues to go.
Magnus Robot Fighter 47, 48.
Marvel Spotlight 5. Featuring Dragon Lord! (Who?)
Ninjak 24.
Punx 1. Finished this late 90’s Valiant mini.
Frank Miller’s Ronin 2-6.
X-O Manowar 51.

Fifth table had $1 books. I got 10 of them.
Power of Shazam 37. Still missing 5 issues. Taking forever.
Wildstorm 1, 2, 4-6, 11, 15-17. Most of the most recent(current?) iteration of the book. Missing four issues.

Sixth table I got a recent Flash issue I was missing for cover price. There’s a WW issue I’m still hunting. Didn’t find it.

The final table had some $1 books and BOGO free $5 books. Which is the same as $2.50 books(in my head at least).
I got Batgirl 0 and Birds of Prey 1.
And then 16 of the Legacy Variant covers. Which for $2.50 each is less than cover price.
Captain Marvel 125
Defenders 6
Generation X 85
Hawkeye 13
Jessica Jones 13
Guardians 146
Gwenpool 21
Luke Cage 166
Moon Knight 188
Ms Marvel 25
Old Man Logan 31
Scarlet Spider 10
Spidey/Deadpool 23(or 34. I can’t tell which number is the original ASM # and I’m too lazy to research)
Thor 700
All New Wolverine 25.
I got 3 $1 books but she threw those in for free, so I paid $45 for 21 books.

And lastly I got LEGO figures of Blue Beetle and Booster Gold, Deathstroke, Silver Surfer, Ghost Rider on a flaming bike, and Link from the Zelda games.

I’m super pumped about finishing off Planetary, making a dent in my Nu52 Batman run, and those Ultimate Spidey issues.
I think I’m about halfway done with the Legacy variants. 19 today, and six I can recall that I previously found. Might be more, but I might have grabbed doubles also. That leaves 28 of the 53 left to find. *sigh*. Now I gotta go make a fuckin’ list.....

Next show is in mid-December I think.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Teeny score. Ventured across the river for the first time in a long time. Hit a couple LCS.
The first one I found the Wonder Woman variant I was missing and also got the Avengers/Defenders miniseries Tarot 2-4 that my guy has never ordered.
Also found some books in their $1 boxes.

Black Lightning 7. Just need issue 13 from the ‘95 series.
Tales of the Legion 320 and 322. Just need 339 and I’ll have all the Tales issue. Still need 18 issues from the pre-Tales run and seven issues from the ‘89 series, but other than that I think I have a full Legion of Super-Heroes run. (Don’t have any of the current Bendis run either)
Omega Men 18, 24, Annual 1. Still need 14 more issues and the 2nd Annual of the ‘83 Series. Including the I’ll-never-find-it-1st app of Lobo.
X 15. From the ‘13 relaunch of the Dark Horse vigilante series. Nine more issues to find.
And a dozen Nu52 and Rebirth DC books. I’m missing one issue(973) of having a full Action Comics run from 559 up to the current 1025.

At the second shop, I found the Firefly 18 I was missing, and I got a first print of Strange Adventures 4, which my guy never got and had to settle for a 2nd printing. He also said he had a bunch of those Lenticular issues in storage that he’d maybe give me a deal on, so I’m gonna e-mail him a list and see what he can do.

Mostly I was just glad to finally find the WW and Firefly issues. I hate holes in my runs.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Went across the river and found the two Alex Ross variants I was missing.

Also got a bunch of the Lenticulars at another shop.

America
Avengers
USAvengers
BlackBolt
Captain America
Champions
Hulk
Iceman
Iron Man
Jean Grey
Marvel 2in1
Monsters Unleashed
She-Hulk
Spider-Gwen
Weapon X
X-Men Blue
Astonishing X-Men

Only ten more to go.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Small score. For some reason my guy hasn’t been ordering SW:Dr Aphra and I just this week realized it because it’s on issue 8. The Pandemic threw me off because I guess I thought the entire series had been delayed. Anyway, I went to a different shop to try and find some issues, but he was having a $1 sale. I found a smallish pile of 44 books.

Avengers 217 and Annual 14.
Far Sector 3, 4. This is a Green Lantern book that’s supposed to be pretty good.
Infinite Crisis Aftermath:Spectre 3. Finally finished this irrelevant mini 14 years later.
Ka-zar 9, 12, 13. Only missing 2 issues from his 1981 series.
Official Index of Marvel Team-Up 1 and 3. I think it’s funny that originally Marvel was ambitiously planning to Index EVERY single comic in the 616 universe. They had done Index series for many of the main books like FF, Spidey, and Avengers. But according to the preamble in this book, they were legit gonna Index EVERYTHING.
Marvel Milestone Edition:Giant Size X-Men 1. Reprint of the classic key issue. Complete with original ads!
Plastic Man 1, 2. Finished the newest post-Rebirth mini.
Ragman 6. From a new mini. Still need 1-3.
Raven 5. From a 2017 mini.
Raven:Daughter of Darkness 1-4 6, 7, 10.
ROM 2-6. I’m only trying to be a completist, but all five of these issue happened to be RI covers. So that’s kinda cool.
Shazam 3. Variant cover from the newest series.
Sideways Annual 1.
Spider-Man/Black-Cat 5. Finally finished this Kevin Smith series. Wasn’t this series delayed and spread out over a couple years?
Terra Obscura 3.
Terrifics 6, 8-10.
Titans 26, 29, 31.
Unexpected 2.
Tales of the Witchblade 5,8.
Wonder Woman Annual 2.
X-Men Blue 36. A variant cover by Mike Allred. Looked cool so I grabbed it.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Tom Foolery wrote: Official Index of Marvel Team-Up 1 and 3. I think it’s funny that originally Marvel was ambitiously planning to Index EVERY single comic in the 616 universe. They had done Index series for many of the main books like FF, Spidey, and Avengers. But according to the preamble in this book, they were legit gonna Index EVERYTHING.
Coming soon: The Official Index of The Offial Index.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

That's about it. I have a Thor book here that's like a big index of everything from volume 1 through I don't know how far, but it's handy reference. I'm not sure if they were created for purchase or giveaways, I have no idea where I got it.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

jjreason wrote:That's about it. I have a Thor book here that's like a big index of everything from volume 1 through I don't know how far, but it's handy reference. I'm not sure if they were created for purchase or giveaways, I have no idea where I got it.
About ten years ago, they revived the Index Series.
The first series did Iron Man, Amazing Spidey, and Uncanny X-Men.
The second series did Avengers, Cap, and Thor.
The third series did Wolverine, Punisher, and Ghost Rider.

The TPBs for each series, just separated the individual characters/series, so you might have the “Thor” TPB from the second series.
https://comicbookrealm.com/series/26148 ... in-america

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The local dealer show is back! The last one was in August last year. He had scheduled a few between then and now, but the city kept shutting them down.

I couldn’t fill a long box, so I gave him $80 for 217 books. Then I found 8 more books at another $1 table. And since I hadn’t spent as much as I usually do, I splurged and got some Artgerm variants for $5 each at a third table.
Here’s what I got.

Assassin’s Creed:Templars 6, 7.
Astro City vol 2. 1 variant cover.
Batman Arkham Knight 3, 5. I think I’m only missing a couple from the game tie-in.
Blackbolt 2. Still need 3-5.
A couple issues of Dredd.
Firearm 14-16.
Harbinger 9.
Infinity Entity 2. Finished the mini.
Superior Iron Man 1. Variant cover from an action figure set?
A couple James Bond issues.
Jungle Girl 3.
Justice Riders 1. And Elseworlds Prestige oneshot, I didnt know existed. The Justice League in the old west, but maybe without powers?
Lone Ranger 25. Its all scuffed up. Its really hard to keep an all black cover in decent condition. Placeholder copy for now.
Lone Ranger;Death of Zorro 1 variant cover.
Luke Cage 170. Only 3 more to find from his recent solo series.
Magnus Robot Fighter 19, 50.
Majestic 15.
Marvel X-Men Collection 1, 2. A comic series of Jim Lee’s artwork from one of the card series that Marvel released after Lee had left for Image. Salty.
The Next 2-6. Some sort of Superman spinoff?
A couple issues of Nightman. Ultraverse hasn’t been a priority for me, but I’m running out of other things to look for.
Quantum & Woody 5, 7, 8.
Rai 30.
Agents of SHIELD 3. Just missing issue 4.
Original Doctor Solar oneshot.
Spider-Man 2099 8. And also the variant of 8. Finished the most recent Peter David ongoing.
Steed and Peel 3.
Street Fighter/GIJoe 1-4.
Action Comics Annual 3.
Terra Obscura Vol 2; 3,4.
Some Hasbro Exclusive Transformers Combiner Wars issues.
Unwritten 53. Only two more issues to go.
Ultraforce/Spider-Man 1A. Recently logging books, I discovered 1A and 1B weren't just variant covers, but had different interior storylines. So I found the other issue.
Some Wicked+Divine issues.
Witchblade:Demon Reborn 2.
Hunt for Wolverine:Weapon Lost 3.
Uncanny X-Men Annual 1 variant.
X-O Manowar 38, 50x.

34 various Nu52 and Rebirth books. I finished Demon Knights.
And 110 issues from the 80’s New Universe imprint from Marvel; DP7, Psi-Force, Spitfire, Kickers Inc, Nightmask, etc. Not every issue, but I’d say 98% of what I was missing in one fell swoop.

The second table I got
Justice League America Annual 6. Finished the ‘87 series.
Another James Bond issue.
Tales of Suspense oneshot from 2004. Reprints the first issues of both Captain America and Iron Man from that year. I’ve been looking for this book for 15 years. It’s not a key issue or anything, but this is the personal highlight of this haul.
And some more DC books.

The $5 books were Batgirl 31 and 32, Supergirl 26, and Batman & Robin 1, which finished off that Nu52 series.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Drove 90 minutes to a comic show in a mall south of me.

Didn’t spend a bunch, but I found and plugged many holes in my stacks.
The main table I went to had $2 each books. I found 33 issues there.

Batgirl 25. Variant cover.
Detective 980 variant.
Convergence:Harley Quinn 1. Finished the mini, and I'm only 2 issues away from all the Convergence minis being done.
Green Lantern 1963 Annual reprint from 1998. One of the few remaining GL books I was on the hunt for. Except for a couple strays, I pretty much have a complete GL run from Green Lantern Corps in the early 80s onwards,including all the minis, annuals, oneshots, spinoffs, and ongoings.
Hulkverines 1-3. No way I was paying full price for this mini. But $6 for the whole thing is okay.
Huntress 1. Finished the Nu52 mini from 2011.
Harley Quinn/Power Girl 2,3,5, and 6. Finished the mini.
Iron Fist 2 from ‘96. I swear I keep buying the wrong issue of this 2 issue mini.
Iron Fist 3, 4, and a variant of 4 for good measure. Finished the most recent ongoing from a couple years ago. And(I think) I have a full Iron Fist run now. Not counting the Marvel Premiere issues. I’m not Richie Rich over here fellas.
Old Man Logan 4 and 21. Just need 14 thru 17.
New Suicide Squad 1 and 4. Hey look, its those expensive issues I couldn’t find. Found them and finished the series.
Transformers Regeneration One 97b. I now have all the retro ‘B’ covers. Just need 2 more of the ‘A’ covers and I’ll have both full sets.
TF War Within:Dark Ages 2. The one that doesn’t say Dark Ages on the cover! Finished the War Within saga finally!!! FINALLY.
Transformers 3. The Dinobot cover from the second G1 Dreamwave series. I think i now have both the Autobot and Decepticon covers from both series, but i’m not sure until I get all my books together. But my list says i’m done.
TF More Than Meets The Eye 5. The Handbook style series from Dreamwave. Just need 1 and 3 now.
Transformers 50. sub cover.
WolverineMax 6. Finished that series.
The lenticular Legacy covers for Dr Strange, Marvel Legacy 1, Moon Girl, Secret Warriors, Squirrel Girl, Royals, and X-Men Gold. Six of the Ten I was missing. Only 4 to go.

I also got 30 books from various $1 tables. Only got a few issues at each table, so I just lumped them all together.

Astro City 6, 7, 11, 15. Only a couple more to find from the second series.
Astro City:Local Heroes 5. Finished the mini.
Batgirl 19. From the Nu52 run. Only five more to find.
DC Presents;Jack Kirby Omnibus Sampler 100 Page Spectacular
Invisibles 6. Legionnaires 70. Just need issue 81 and I’ll be done.
Lucifer 15, 17-19.
Martian Manhunter 6.
Omega Men 5. From the ‘83 series.
Raven:Daughter of Darkness 7.
SuperSons 15, 16.
Sub-Mariner 56, 60. Not great condition, but adequate reading copies from 1972. Not bad for $1 each.
Tales of the Witchblade 2, 6
World’s Finest 304-308, 312, 315.
Dr Aphra 4. Caught up thru 6, but I discovered issue 7 is now getting hotter by the minute and I’ll have to find a copy quick and pay more before it gets out of reach, damnit.

A smallish score, but one I am happy with. That GL annual and the TF War Within issue in particular have dogged me for several years.