Big score........

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Big score........

Post by Tom Foolery »

Tim’s Corner in Rock Island was having a sale on everything. 50 cents on all current backstock, and 50% off older stuff. I got roughly 200 books for $100 and then got three older issues for and extra $20; Uncanny X-Men 156(Starjammers!), GIJoe 18(just need 13 and 154 now), and Batman 3 from the Nu52 run, leaving just issue 2 and 7 to go.

Here’s what I got.

Adventureman 5, 6, 8, 9. Fraction and Dodson’s Image book. Thought it was a mini. It wasn’t. Have no idea what issue its on.
Amethyst 2, 5, 6. Amy Reeder’s DC mini. Just need 3 and 4.
Aquaman 14. Ummm…whoops. Now I have 2 copies?
Aquaman 44, 45. Variant covers from the Rebirth series. Just need issue 1.
Aquaman/Flash:Voidsong 1-3.
Aquamen 4. Variant cover.
Avengers Forever 4. Variant cover. Was missing this for some reason. Would still like to find the regular cover.
Batgirl 27, 51. Just need 12 and 52 and the Nu52 run will be finished.
Batgirl 1-3, 6, 15, 19, 21. Only a dozen more to find from the Rebirth series. One of which is a ridiculously priced issue 23.
Batgirl/Bird of Prey 5, 7, 18. Seven more to go.
Batgirls 6. Variant from the current series starring Cassie and Steph.
Like 30+ Batman issues from assorted minis. At the start of the day, I was less focused and throwing everything in the box. Found some variants from the main book I was missing, and almost finished the Batman/Superman series from a couple years ago.
Black Panther. Some issues from the wrong series which I already had. Fuck.
The Boys:Dear Becky 1.
Captain Marvel 41. Was missing this for some reason.
New Challengers 6. Finished the mini.
Crime Syndicate 4, 6. Variant covers.
Doom Patrol:Weight of Worlds 1, 2.
Fallen Angels 1, 1. Both the regular cover and a Variant. Already had the Bagley variant.
Fantastic Four:Antithesis 1. Not sure if I had this.
Grendel:Devil’s Odyssey 1 and 8. Just need the middle six issues from this new 2019 Grendel series. Grendel Prime in spaaaaaace!
Heroes Reborn:Marvel Double Action 1. Oneshot I missed from last year.
Hulk Grand Design. Two oneshots, Monster and Madness. By Jim Rugg. Whoever that is.
Green Lantern:Blackstars 3.
Justice League 3, 4, 13, and variants of 17, 22, 23, 65, 67, 69. It’s hard to keep track of DC books with all these variant covers.
Justice League Dark 26. Variant.
Justice League Odyssey 2, 4, and variants of 5, 7, 8, 12, 22, 23. Of which I’m pretty sure I have a couple, but again, with variant, and relaunches, its a headache.
Killmonger 2. Just need issue 1.
Black Racer. A Jack Kirby oneshot. Of the five or six they put out, I’m only missing two. I think.
Legion of X 1.
Lois Lane 10. Variant. Wish they had more. I liked this series.
Marvel Action Black Panther 6. Just need issue 5 from the IDW series.
Marvel 2. Finished the mini.
Marvel Annotated 1, 2. $8 reprints of the original Marvels mini, with annotations.
Miracleman 1. The one that just came out.
Nightwing. Several regular and variant covers of issues between 78 and 94. Some of which I already had. Ugh. Fuck DC
Red Hood/Outlaws 20, 27, and variants of 43, 44. Still a couple dozen books to go.
Robin 13, 15. Variants from the recently ended Damian series.
Robin:Tim Drake 2. Homage variant from the current mini.
Sideways 5, 9. Missing issue 8.
Silencer 2, 3, Annual 1. Five issues to go.
Spider-Punk 3. Filled in this missing issue and finished the mini.
Suicide Squad 7-10, 15. Variants. From which series I could not say for certain.
Supergirl 1. From the Rebirth series.
Superman 1. From the Rebirth series.
Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen 2-6, 10. Variants.
Challenge of the Super-Sons 1, 2, 7. Of a 7 issue mini.
Terrifics 14, 19(var), 20, 22, 24, 26, 27. Only three more issues to go.
Transformers:The Rarities oneshot. Aha! The Best of I was missing.
Trial of the Amazons 1. Variant.
Trinity 2, 3, 16, 18. Five issues to go.
Unexpected 3-6. Finished the series.
Weapon H 11. Finished the series.
Marvel Universe vs Wolverine 4. Finished the mini.
Wonder Woman 38. Finished the Nu52 series.
Wonder Woman 5-8, 10-14, 16, 30, 34, 42, and variants for 62, 67, 789, 790. From the Rebirth run.
X-Men’92 House of XCII 2-5. I think I finished the mini?
Prisoner X 3 and X-Tremists 3. Finished the two Age of X-Man minis. One more to find from that event.
Immortal X-Men 6. Regular cover. I think I had an Art Adams variant, but I have to check.

I’d say the most satisfying find was that MU vs Wolverine issue, because now I’m only 5 issues away from having all the Wolverine books. But nothing in here was like “Jackpot!” except the fact these were all pretty recent books for 50 cents each.

I think the next big show isn’t until the spring, unless I drive an hour to nearby cities where they are having shows.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I missed out on Iron Man #2 from last week, so I went on a sojourn to find a copy yesterday. Unintentionally, this trek took me to four different stores, and I came home with like 60+ books.

First shop didn’t have it, but I found an issue of ASM I needed, as well as the last issue of Flashpoint Beyond, so I finished that mini.

Next shop only variant copies of Iron Man, so I didn’t get it, but I found the Artgerm variant of Sins of Sinister 1, with Emma Frost on the cover.

Third shop also only had variants of the Iron Man cover, so I bought the classic homage cover. But they were having a flash sale of 2 for $1 so I got…

Arkham City:Order of the World 3, 6. Just need 2 and 4.
Artemis Wanted oneshot.
Batman:TDK 23.4 The Joker’s Daughter issue. Just need issue 14 to finish the Nu52 run.
Batgirl 22. From the Rebirth run.
Batman’89 2. Variant cover.
Captain Carter 5.
Checkmate 1, 3 and 1-4 variant covers. Just need 5 and 6 from this Event Leviathan spinoff.
Dark Knights of Steel 1-3 collected edition and issue 6.
Dial H for Hero 2, 4, 6, 7. Just need 1 and 12.
Doom Patrol:Weight of Worlds 3, 6, 7. Just need 4 and 5.
Female Furies 4-6. Just need issue 1.
Flashpoint Beyond 0. Variant cover.
Freedom Fighters 2-5, 9, 10. From a 12 issue maxi.
Gotham City Monsters 1, 3, 5, 6. Just need issue 4.
Green Lantern:Black Stars 1, 2 and 1,2 Variants. Finished the mini.
Green Lantern SeasonTwo 6, 10.
Justice League:Darkseid War:Batman oneshot. The last DW oneshot I was missing.
Legion of SuperHeroes 2. Variant cover of the new Bendis run.
Martian Manhunter 1.
Sword of Azrael 1, 2.
Teen Titans Academy 2, 8, 9, 11, 14, 15 and variant of 5-9. Only five issues missing, but I detest having half regular, half variant covers.
Titans United 4.
X Deaths of Wolverine 1. Variant cover
Wonder Woman 28. From the Rebirth series.

At the fourth store I finally found the regular cover of Iron Man 2.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Moderate sized score. A shop over in Bettendorf recently moved locations. Went to check out their new digs, and spent almost a $100 on new books and stuff in their $1 boxes.

From the $1 boxes I got

Justice League 14. Variant cover.
Justice League Dark 12. Variant cover.
Justice League Odyssey 6. Variant cover.
Luke Cage 4 and 169. Finished the Legacy series. The one I have repeatedly been unimpressed with.
Supergirl 18. From the Rebirth series. Missing like 13 issues and an Annual.
Superman 26-31, 33, 36, 36, 40, Annual1. Just missing 41-44 from his first Rebirth run.
Super-Sons 12, 13. Just missing issue 14 and the Annual.
Super-Sons/Dyno-Mutt. One of The Hanna-Barbera crossover oneshots.
Teen Titans 2, 3, 10, 11, 13, 15. Missing nine more issues, including the super expensive first appearance of Batman Who Laughs in issue 12.
Titans 6, 20, 21. Still missing a bunch from their Rebirth series. I blame the HBOMax show for these being hard(er) to find.

Newer books; I grabbed

Danger Street 1-3. Had no clue what this was thanks to it’s vague title. But King and Fornes, the guys that did the Rorschach maxi series, took the characters from the shortlived 70s DC series called 1st Appearance and repurposed them into wholly new narrative. Haven’t read it yet, but King is a safe bet for a great story.
Deathstroke Inc 13, 15. My guy stopped getting the variant covers, so I’m trying to finish off this run. Only a couple more to find.
Gotham City Year One 3-5. King writing a noir mystery set in 60s Gotham starring Slam Bradley. Again, had the first two, then my guy stopped getting the variants.
Poison Ivy 8, 9. Thought this was a six issue mini.
Wakanda 1. Mini starring various supporting players like Shuri, Killmonger, Okoye, etc. Missed the first issue, but already had the rest.

I’ll be filing these away as I re-sort everything. I’m not procrastinating at this daunting task…I swear….

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Gotham City Year One has been awesome. Classic hard-boiled crime noir.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

There was another dealer show at the mall this weekend. Over a hundred vendors according to one guy. I hit up several tables and spent between $160-180 for 130 books.

First table, found a meager 7 book for $7.

Justice League 3, 4, 6, 7, 11. The regular covers from the 2018 series. I’ll keep an eye out for the variants, but I’m getting closer to a complete run.
Spider-Girl 97. From the ‘98 series. Still six more issues to find, but a couple of those are hot shit. The guy had them for like $15, but I don’t need them that badly.
Steel 47. Just need 49 and 52.

Second table, 16 $1 books, and six more that were $5 BOGO, so in effect $2.50 each. The guy was super generous and rounded it down to $30 for everything. So I saved a whole dollar.

Batgirl and Birds of Prey 16, 17, 20,
Dark Knight III 7. Still need the last two issues.
Captain Marvel 16. Just need that pesky issue 14 for a full run. Anybody got a spare $250 for Kamala Khan’s first appearance?
Mage:Hero Defined 15. It had a nifty acetate cover.
Mr. Majestic 1-3.
Majestic 7-10.
Nightwing 26, 41, 42, 44.
Rune:Hearts of Darkness 1-3. Thought these were just the regular ‘96 Rune series, but then I discovered these are flipbooks. Which I already had.
Swamp Thing 4. From the ‘04 series. Just one more to go.
Star Wars: Jabba The Betrayal.

Third table, I got 14 $1 books and three more that were priced at $27, but this guy also rounded to $30, so I basically got the last three for cover price.

Batman:The Joker Warzone 1. Variant cover.
He-Man and the Masters of the Multiverse 1.
Justice League Odyssey 13, and 15 variant.
X-O Manowar 37, 39, 40, 49, 50-o, 53, 55, 62-64. Only missing like 5 more issues. The guy had the low print run final two issues (66 and 67) for $25 each and offered both to me for $30, but I didn’t need them that badly so another guy bought them.
The three higher priced issues were Justice League Annual 1, and Nightwing 71 and 81.

The fourth table I got 50 books for $50.

Astro City 46.
Batgirl and the Birds of Prey 21. Only three more issues to find.
Batman: Sins of the Father 2.
Batman vs Ra’s al Ghul 1-4.
Batman Beyond 2, 6, 16, and 42.
Batwoman 6.
Black Panther 528. Remember when Panther took over Daredevil’s series for like twenty issues? This was the last issue I needed to finish that run.
Captain America: Patriot 4. Finished this mini finally.
DC Comics Presents 94.
Demon:Hell is Earth 1, 2.
Green Lantern 4, 10. From the Morrison/Sharp series.
Green Lantern Season Two 2, 4, 5, 8.
Hawkman 3, 4, 6, 7, 11, 16.
Injustice:Year Three Annual 1
Injustice:Year Five 5, 14, 15. Between the five Injustice series, I’m missing 21 issues.
Justice League Annual 2. From the 2018 series.
Justice League:No Justice 1. Finished the mini.
Justice League:Last Ride 6, 7.
Mera, Queen of Atlantis 1. Artgerm cover.
Shadow/Batman 1, 2. Variant covers.
Titans 23. Finally finished the 2008 series.
True Believers:Invincible Iron Man.
Wonder Woman 29, 32, 33.
Wonder Woman:Evolution 1-4, 6.

Fifth table, I picked up eight books between $1 and $3 for $19.

Batgirl 13
Nightwing 13, 15, 35-37.
Nightwing:New Order 1. Finished the mini.
Spider-Man Unlimited 8. Finished the 2004 series finally.

Sixth table I got 19 $1 books, but they only charged me $9. Which kinda offset the last table’s prices in my head.

Batman:Curse of the White Knight 8.
Checkmate 2.
Dark Crisis: Big Bang 1.
Future State:Gotham 1-3 variants, 5-7 regular covers.
James Bond 007:Permission to Die 2. A Mike Grell series from ‘89.
Jurassic League 1. The Justice League, but everyone’s a dinosaur.
Justice League vs the Legion of Super Heroes 3.
Lois Lane 5, 7, and a variiant 10.
Silencer 13.
Swamp Thing 11.
War for Earth-3 2.

The final table had 1/2 off prices marked. So I paid $28 for $56 “worth” on seven books.

Harley Quinn 11, 12. The last two Frank Cho variants I needed from the ‘16 series.
Cable/Deadpool 15-17, 19, 29. Only missing 18, 26, and 48 for a full run.

Finishing the Black Panther, Cap:Patriot and Titans series were the most satisfying finds this round.
I think there’s a show at the fairgrounds next month. And then another show at the fairgrounds across the river in May.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Big score.......

Post by Tom Foolery »

Mighty-Con at the local fairgrounds. $10 to get in the door, but you get a free comic book upon entering. Usually that freebie crap is 90s Image books like Bloodstrike or several dozen copies of X-cutioner’s Song X-Men crossover books. But they had a decent selection of recent books, so I got Mr and Mrs X 7 which I needed to fill a hole.

Walked thru about 50% of the booths( lots of people hawking Funko pops and buttons they made at home with Anime characters on them; shit like that) before I even found a comic dealer who wasn’t selling Silver Age stuff for like $150 an issue.

First table was selling $2 issues. I found 20 books for $40.

Earth2 Society 15, 19, 20, 22. Finished the followup series to the Earth 2 Nu52 run.
Fear Itself:Deadpool 1. Need issues 2 and 3 and a Black Widow oneshot before my Fear Itself run is complete. Twas the rare Marvel event I skipped entirely and still haven’t got back around to reading.
Flash 24. The Rebirth series. Still need about 18 more issues, and I also stopped around issue 770, so like thirty issue of the current stuff.
Rocket and Groot 4-6. Still need 2, 3, and 9.
Spider-Man Family 2. Finished this anthology series from 2009 finally. This was the first book I found today. It’s always nice to cross an entire series off the list.
Superboy 6, 15. Finished the Nu52 run!
Supergirl 30. Finished the Nu52 run!!
Superman 12, 41-44. Finished the Rebirth series from 2016, except for the actual Rebirth oneshot that kicked the series off.
Trinity 9, 11. Need 13-15.

The second table had $1 books, $5 BOGO books, and $10 BOGO books.
The six $10 books(which were $5 each) I got were;
Batgirl 24 variant cover.
Exiles 2. The HTF 1st app of ‘movie’ Valkyrie.
Flash 30 and Annual 2. The Nu52 run. Only seven more to find.
Flash 1. From the Rebirth series.
Gwenpool 0. Finished that run.

I got two $5 issues, so $2.50 each.
Bone 32.
Teen Titans 20 variant.

The $1 books I got seven of
Damage 2, 5. Need three more and the Annual.
Justice League 5. Might have this. Between the relaunches and the variant covers, DC is a chore to keep accurate track of.
Silencer 6, 8, 10, 11. Finished the series.

The next table was selling older high end stuff, but he had one short box at the end of his table. I rifled thru it, and the second to last issue was the variant cover of Batman:The Detective 6 which I needed to finish that mini. $3.

The next table had $5 buy 3 get 1 free. I found some very recent $10 DC anthology books, like Holiday Specials and what not. Since they already $5 less than cover, and if I got enough, they were like $4 a piece for $10 books. So 8 hefty issue for $30. I got;
Tis the Season to be Freezin’
DC’s Grifter got run over by a Reindeer.
DC’s Saved by the Belle Reve.
DC’s Beach Blanket Bad Guys Summer Special.
Shazam and Shazam Family Annual. A reprint book from 2002 of even older Fawcett issues from the 50s
Ghost Rider:Danny Ketch. One of those Marvel Tales reprint issues.
Deathstroke Inc 12. Swimsuit variant cover.
Action Comics 1046. Swimsuit variant cover by Artgerm of Supergirl.

The same table also had $2 books. Another 29 issues for $58. Most places round down a little if you buy a bunch. These guys did not. I got;
AstroCity:Silver Agent 1-2, and AC:Beautie oneshot.
Batman:The Knight 4.
Blue & Gold 6. Frim The recent Booster and Beetle midi. I’ve found like four of the eight issues.
Bone 32, 33, 35, 42-46, the 10th Anniversary Color Reprint special, and issues 1-3 of Stupid Stupid Rat Tails. A huge chunk of my missing Bone run! I still need 49, 50, 51, and 53.
Dark Tower:Fall of Gilead 2. Finished the mini. The only Dark Tower books I have left to find are from the Drawing of the Three minis, which were the last ones Marvel did before they let the license slide due to lack of sales/interest.
Future State:Gotham 17. Variant cover.
Red Hood & the Outlaws 4. From the Rebirth series.
Robin 11. Variant cover.
Runaways 36, 37.
Star Wars Chewbacca 3. Finished that dull mini.
SW Obi-Wan & Anakin 5. Finished the mini.
SW The Force Awakens 2. Film adaptation mini.
SW Rogue One 4, 5. Film adaptation mini.
Wastelanders:Hawkeye 1. There were a series of Wastelanders oneshots set in the Old Man Logan-verse. Still need the other 4 or 5.

And lastly, I splurged at the final table and got the three issues of Gotham City Sirens I needed for a full run. 10, 18, 24 at$10 apiece.

So I only got 77 issues, and I dropped $190 but I finished off like a dozen series in process. Worth it. That Bone run is particularly sweet. I have the One Volume edition and have read the entire story, but it’ll be great when I have all the floppies as God intended.

The next show is at the fairgrounds across the river in Illinois next month.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Story time! My children’s maternal grandfather(my ex’s dad) has/had a sizable comics collection. I’ve always half joked to my daughter that if he ever wants to get rid of them, let me know.
Well, last week he asked her to tell me he was looking to get rid of them, otherwise he was going to take them to some seller’s show they were having on Tuesday and Wednesday last week.
She forgot to tell me. Then she texted me that night at like 1:00 AM and said he had these books available, with a list of titles, mostly Spider-Man and Superman stuff. But it was after he had already taken them to the dealer guy to rife thru and get the good early-70s stuff. Because she forgot to tell me.(I’m slightly annoyed because I have literally been “reminding” her for twenty years that I want his comic collection)
Anyway, we went over there today and he said if I take everything left, I can have it for $50. He had one long box and a bunch of cobbled together boxes which is easily a second long box worth. I have him $60, so that’s $30 a long box. It’s gonna take me some time to alphabetize them and see what I got.
Attachments
AAB4BC4C-6525-44D1-9F8F-C5E6E8162292.jpeg
AAB4BC4C-6525-44D1-9F8F-C5E6E8162292.jpeg (4.45 MiB) Viewed 586 times
D0CE2FE2-80CD-48AE-8EF4-ED5E7EE8139F.jpeg
D0CE2FE2-80CD-48AE-8EF4-ED5E7EE8139F.jpeg (3.82 MiB) Viewed 586 times
E662367C-21D6-4312-9FEA-07E0FEDD3EA7.jpeg
E662367C-21D6-4312-9FEA-07E0FEDD3EA7.jpeg (3.24 MiB) Viewed 586 times

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

It ended up being THREE long boxes worth. I didn’t do an individual issue count, but assuming 300ish issues per box, I paid six cents per book. Less if there were more than 900 issues, which is possible. As I said it was mostly Spider-Man related stuff. There was an entire box of Superman stuff, but he was “investing/speculating” and had multiple copies of the same issues, most of which were….poor investments. Anyway, here’s a list of what I got.

Amazing Spidey 364, 394, Annuals 14 and 28. I’m pretty sure that the guy he sold the collection to took most of his Amazing Spidey run. Based on what he had of the rest of the Spidey titles, I can’t see him not having a solid run of the flagship series. Which sucks. C’est la vie.
There was also the four American reprints of the Canadian mini ASM: Skating on Thin Ice, etc and a small ashcan issue.
Annex 2, 4. Half of a mini of a forgettable c-list character. For real, whatever happened to Annex?
Avengers 314-317. An Avengers arc where Spidey “joined” the Avengers to fight Nebula out in space. And a random issue of Avengers West Coast with Spidey in it.
Captain America 255(he had 4 copies of this issue, which is actually worth a few bucks) 339-350. The back end of the run where Cap quit and John Walker became Cap for a couple years. 403-404, 420-422, 427, 429-436. A bunch of issues towards the end of Cap’s original run, but he stopped before it got good again when Mark Waid took over for Man Without a Country(or maybe that guy took those issues). Also Annual 8, which has the cool Wolverine/Cap cover and is worth a few bucks, and Annual 13.
Captain America:The Movie. The oneshot based on the shitty 90’s Cap movie.
A TPB of the Street of Poison arc from Captain America 372-378.
Cloak & Dagger 17. Guest starring Spidey.
Daredevil 297-300.
Deadpool 1. The Circle Chase mini, which is a decent amount, but nowhere near what the first issue of his ongoing is worth.
Fantastic Four 218. Guest starring Spidey.
Foolkiller 1, 2, 4, and 8. Random issue from a random Marvel series from the 90s.
Marvel Masterpieces 1. Pin up art from Joe Jusko’s trading card series.
Marvel Milestone of ASM 149.
Marvel Age 113 and 114.
Marvel Tales. This was the jackpot of the purchase, if only because I don’t have a lot of Marvel Tales in my collection. Nine random issues between issue 6 and 28(yes, back in the late 1960s!) then pretty much a full run from 51-219, with a lot of those being multiple copies, including reprints of Gwen’s death, Green Goblin’s death, Frank’s first appearance, and the reprint of Amazing Fantasy, all of which are decent $$. Then a couple issues before resuming a complete run from 274 to the series finale in 291. If nothing else, this run alone is worth the $60 I gave him.
Marvel Team Up 124-150. The last couple years worth of Team-Up. Including the first appearance of the black costume in 142. Noice.
Midnight Sons Unlimited 3. Spidey appearance.
Silver Sable 2. Random newsstand copy.
Spectacular Spider-Man 70, 140-146, 178-183, 189, 190, 197, 199-221, 227, 228. And a couple annuals. Again, I’m assuming the guy pilfered the early run of this series.
Web of Spider-Man 1-47, 83, 90, 91, 100-121 and Annuals 1-4, 8-10. Not sure why the gap after 47.
Spider-Man, the McFarlane series. 1, 2, 6, 7, 17, 24-51, 63. He had a couple copies of the first issues silver covers and the green cover. Again, not sure why the spotty holes until 24.
Spider-Man Unlimited 1-8.
Giant-Size Spider-Man 2, 3. From the mid 60’s. Pretty decent shape, considering.
Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends oneshot from the 80s. Worth some $.
Spider-Man Carnage TPB. Reprinting the first Carnage story from ASM.
Spider-Man/Dr Strange:Way to Dusty Death prestige oneshot.
Spider-Man Adventures 1, 2, 8. A short lived ongoing based on an animated Spidey show. Issue 8 had Venom in it and is worth a few bucks.
S-M Arachnis Project 1-6.
S-M Classics 1-7 9-16. Almost a full run of the short ongoing that reimagined the original ASM issues with new art.
S-M Collector’s Preview
Deadly Foes of Spider-Man 1-4
Lethal Foes of Spider-Man 1-4
S-M The Lost Years 1 and 3.
S-M Megazine 1-5.
S-M Mutant Agenda 0, 1-3.
S-M Power of Terror 1, 2.
S-M Saga 1.
S-M Web of Doom 1-3.
S-M/X-Factor:Shadowgames 1, 2.
Spider-Man 2099 1, 2, 8-26, 28. I’m kinda wondering if the guy took the last half of this run because they are HTF.
2099 Unlimited 1.
What If? 7, 24, 30 from the ‘77 series, and 11, 21, 22 from the ‘89 series.

The third box had multiple issues of these books. Like upwards of four copies of some of them. The only real winner here was Superboy 9, which is the first appearance of King Shark. It hurts to think about him walking into the comic shop back in the 90s and dropping money for multiple copies of the entire Worlds’ Collide crossover between the DC and Milestone universes. Ouch. Or those JL Task Force issues. Oof.

World’s Collide 1
Blood Syndicate 16, 17
Hardware 17, 18
Icon 15, 16
Static 14
Justice League America 0, 87-94
JL TaskForce 0, 9, 11-15, 17-18
Steel 0, 3-7, 9-10
Superboy 0, 3-10
Supergirl 3-4
Action Comics 0, 698-704
Advs of Superman 0, 510-518
Superman 0, 88-95
Superman Man of Steel 0, 32-39
Superman/Doomsday 1-2
Superman:Speeding Bullets 1.

The Marvel Tales run is the big win here. Not only does it plug a hole in my collection, but I can also read the earliest Spidey stories. Awww yissss.
I’m trying not to think too hard about the books I missed out on.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

My ‘Big’ Scores are becoming more moderate. There was a comic/toy/video game show at the mall again this weekend. Hit up at least ten different tables, but came away with a mere 44 issues. A majority of them were $1-2 but I splurged on a few HTF books.
Here’s what I got.

Amazing Spidey & Captain America:Dr Doom’s Revenge. This was a giveaway issue from a software company called Paragon from the early 80s.
Ame-Comi Girls 5. Dammit, already had this one. DC released two Ame-Comi series in the same year, so the indicia doesn’t help.
American Vampire 3. Just missing 1, 2, 19, 22.
Avengers Tech-On 2.
Batman Secret Files:Miracle Molly oneshot.
Detective Comics Annual 4. An Armageddon 2001 tie in. I was surprised I didn’t have this Annual, but it was the last Tec annual I was missing.
Prelude to Deadpool Corps 4.
Fantastic Four 248.
Foxfire 1. An Ultraverse series.
Harbinger 39. I think this was the final issue of the 90s run. Just missing 2-5.
Harley Quinn 4, 18. From the Nu52 run.
Justice League:Last Ride 1, 5. A newish miniseries. Missing the middle issues.
Legends of the Legion 2. A ‘98 mini.
Legion of Super Heroes 7. From the newest Bendis run.
Magnus Robot Fighter 2-4. Eight more to find from the Original Valiant run.
Majestic 14.
Miracleman 15. Finished the reprint series Marvel released. These all came in sealed polybags for some reason. I think this is the issue where the guy goes fucking crazy and kills half of London. Now that I have the complete run, Are these worth opening the bags and reading?
100 Bullets 70, 71, 73-75, 77. Not a big fan of this series, but I’ve been slowly whittling away at it. Probably 40% finished.
She-Hulk 1. The Adam Hughes variant cover.
Classic Star Wars: Han Solo at Star’s End 2.
SW:Poe Dameron 26, 29. Only missing six more issues.
Swamp Thing 4, 18. From the ‘00 run.
Mighty Thor 214. Slightly scuffed up, but not bad for a comic older than I am.
Turok/Shadowman. A oneshot from ‘99.
Venom:Along Came a Spider 3, 4.
Venom:The Hunted 3.
Venom:License to Kill 3. I paid $5 each for these Venom books. I’m missing a dozen issues from the various Venom minis from the late 90’s. I’m probably not gonna find them in the $1 bins ever.
Wildstorm 8. From the newest series. Missing like three more issues.
Wolverine 154. I splurged and paid $15 for this HTF issue. Now i’m only missing 155 and I’ll have a full run of his first ongoing.
Hunt for Wolverine:Adamantium Agenda 1. I’m missing like six issues from all the ‘Hunt for’ minis. Those, the aforementioned 155, a couple oneshots(including a rare Canadian only book) and an Annual are all that’s left of a 100% complete Wolverine run.
Wonder Woman 18. From the Rebirth series.

I also found a copy of Void Rivals 1, the backdoor introduction to the new Energon-Verse that Skybound started for the Transformers and GIJoe licenses. The book that knob Kirkman decided to not tell retailers(aka his customers) about so that they might accurately order sufficient quantities.

I think I spent less than $90, and 15 of that was on the Wolverine issue.

The next show is at the end of August.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

What boggles my mind is the opportunities you have to shop. Honestly, it's crazy. When there are no holes left to fill, the scores can only get less & less big.
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I'm just amazed at how many dealer shows there are.
There isn't anything like that around here.
We just get a couple of comic cons.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Oh shit. That Spidey/Cap freebie issue is $50 on cbrealm. And on ebay it’s going for between $35 and $100 and even higher for slabbed ones.
The guy had two copies. If I had known, I would’ve grabbed both of them.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Planet Funk Con down at the River Center convention center today. Cost me $20 to get me and my son in. I spent $185 on a mere 82 issues, and another $20 on Lego knockoff Megablok set that had the four OG Pokemon starters in it. The boy didn’t find anything, but he’s 20 years old, so for me, the time I got to hang out with him doing nerd shit was worth the $20 entry fee.

Anyway, I hit up three tables. Here’s what I got.

Table 1. 10 issues, between $1 a piece, $3, and a couple for $5. Averaged out to $2.50 each so we’ll go with that.

Batman Annual 8. From 1982.
Batman:The Doom that Came to Gotham 1. Part of a 3 issue Prestige mini. I had an opportunity to buy the full series for like $50 a few months ago, but patience pays off. Still need 2 and 3, but $5 is way cheaper than $17. Glad I held off.
Batman/TMNT 2. Finished the first mini. I had bought the first issue when it came out, and found 3-6 later on, but this issue eluded me until now. Don’t have either of the sequel minis.
Captain America 124. From 1970! My Cap run is getting very complete. More on that later.
Freedom Fighters 7. From the newest ‘21 maxi. Five more issues to find.
Legion of Super Heroes 86. Only four more issues to go from the 90s run. Another six from the original 70s-80s series, and six from Bendis’ run and I have a complete LoSH run. Which is weird because I don’t even like the LoSH.
Spectre 1. Finished the ‘87 series. Still need two issues from the 90s run, but one of them is first appearance of Mr Terrific and it’s fucking expensive.
Superman vs Terminator 1, 2. Still need issues 3 and 4.
Young Justice 3. Variant cover.

Table 2. 10 for $10.

Dr Fate 2. From the ‘03 series.
Justice League Dark Annual 1. Finished another Nu52 series. Not counting Harley Quinn’s series, I’m roughly 30 issues away from having a complete run of that debacle.
Mister Miracle 4, 5. From the ‘96 mini.
X 18. From the Dark Horse series from the 90s. Missing four from that run, and another nine from the ‘13 relaunch.
X-O Manowar 40, 41, 41, 43, 45 and a Commander Trill(whoever that is) oneshot. From the 2012(?) relaunch. Missing like nine issues.

{u}Third Table[/u]. First off this guy had $1 boxes, but most of them were unbagged and he had price stickers directly on the books, which just sends me into a rage. I almost skipped the tables entirely because of it. But I went thru his bagged/boarded stuff and found 62 books, most were $2 each, with 8 of them being between $5 and $10 as they were ‘key’ issues, and the guy knocked $20 off the total because I spent so much at his table. Except for a Defenders oneshot, I basically filled in holes on three runs.

Astro City 1, 2, 4-7, 9, 10, 12, 14-27, 31-33, 35, 41-45, 47, 51. All but 13 issues of the Vertigo run for $2 each. Besides those 13, I’m only missing nine other AC books from the other minis and earlier runs. Nice find.

Captain America 164, 168, 173-175, 200, 224, 231, 241, 251. Some of these were more than $2(first app of Baron Zemo II, first app of Moonstone, X-Men and Punisher guest apps, etc) but I’m whittling my COMPLETE Cap run(not counting the Golden Age stuff) down to 54 issues left to find.

DC Presents 1, 3, 4, 6, 7 ,10, 27, 38, 41, 58, 62, 67, 68, 73, 76, 82, 90, 92. 68 issues down, 32 left to find. For some reason, I’m picky about finding Direct Market copies of this series(except when I’m not picky, the issues between 1 and 27 were all newsstand) so it’s taking me longer to fill it in. Issue 1 and 41 were higher priced because First Issue and 41 had the Joker in it, but the rest were $2 each.

Day of the Defenders oneshot. Reprint issue from 2001 of some pre-Defenders teams ups between Hulk, Strange, and Namor, and then a reprint of the first issue of Defenders.

Solid finds. Even though I didn’t get that many books, I crossed some stuff off my lists.
The next show is at a fairgrounds across the river in just two weeks. I’ll probably have to skip the yearly garage sale as it’s the weekend before the wedding and I’ll be too busy to drive to the middle of Illinois for the whole day. The next show after that is back at the mall in December.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Tom, you think you've got a lot of comics?

https://fb.watch/mMg_fETYQY/?mibextid=Nif5oz
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Diabolical wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:46 am Tom, you think you've got a lot of comics?

https://fb.watch/mMg_fETYQY/?mibextid=Nif5oz
Eh. He’s at 101k. But he had a 15 year head start. I’m only like 25,000 behind him.
Neat video though.