Dark Place

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Dark Place

Post by anarky »

Interesting, what with Dark Place NOT BEING A FUCKING CARTOON!

Sorry. Shit like Dark Place and Dumb & Dumber on CARTOON Network bugs me as much as Planet of the Apes on The HISTORY Channel.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

However, I just verified: "Once Upon a Beginning" will indeed be airing tonight at 11 PM.

The rest of you honkies should watch it.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

anarky wrote:Interesting, what with Dark Place NOT BEING A FUCKING CARTOON!

Sorry. Shit like Dark Place and Dumb & Dumber on CARTOON Network bugs me as much as Planet of the Apes on The HISTORY Channel.

It's interesting you phrase it like that, because old episodes of Combat! and BaaBaa Black Sheep are airing on Animal Planet.

I kid you not.

(Okay, Really, I do kid you, but that would be pretty funny. Kinda like American Chopper being on the Food Network.)
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
anarky

Post by anarky »

American Chopper being on The Discovery Channel is funny enough, as is there not having been a single educational program on TLC (The Learning Channel) for about a decade.

Kinda like MTV and VH1.
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

Adult Swim kinda gravitated from just cartoons a while ago to any kind of subversive humor - they show or have shown Pee-wee's Playhouse, Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job, etc. Now they seem to not consider themselves even a part of Cartoon Network, but an entirely different entity. (But on your other points, yeah.)

Anyway, I saw a fair chunk of this episode of Dark Place on Youtube from one of the links in this thread, but it was still pretty fuckin' funny. I hope they show the rest of them.
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

Was it the first Ep, the one with the Renwick "customer" who blows up and that CRAZY funeral bit where despite being blown into a million pieces the guy re-animates and they blow the FUCK out of him?? I LOVE how all the "doctors" are packing heat- in one of the next episodes it's a "Maximum Overdrive" ripoff and at one point Sanchez/ gun gets posesed and he pulls out yet another gun (ankle/calf holster I believe) and shoots the "demon gun" with it, too funny. I like how his dialogue is so obviously dubbed in too, they took great pains to make it as over-the-top as possible

Fuckin Sanchez is maybe the funniest character EVER and Reed is fucking funny to (the black dude whos acting SUCKS
Vince, NO!!!!!

I just ripped off most of your pubes!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Yeah, it was the first one. I planned to run through Super-Story ROTJ mode in Lego SW II and watch, but the board ran a little longer than I'd hoped. (It'd be nice if you could skip the cut scenes in Super-Story, since you've already had to sit through them once!) But I tuned in right at the best part: "This could be the most significant television program since Quantum Leap!"
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

I loved how the decapitated guy was just calmly laying there and said "it really hurts." :lol: I didn't realize it was from 2004, all the editing and whatnot really makes it look like it's from the 1980s.
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

Also that bit right after the "really hurts" wher buddy starts saying how he'll get help and the dude will be alright, his body is liquid by that time- and when he grabs the coal shovel (sitting right next to the cot, conveniently) and winds upo with it then there's that "NOOOOOOOOOOOO" bit, then he nails the head and it flies away like it's made of styrofoam and it's all slow-mo and looks ridiculous, or at the funeral (again in slow mo) when someones yelling "it's the mother Garth" and he's all "MOOOOVE ASOIDE" then he wings her to get her out of the way, classic
Vince, NO!!!!!

Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

They showed the second episode on Friday, and it was of course awesome. I loved the part about them considering any scene without dialogue for slow-motion, and when Sanchez tried shooting the gun with another gun. :lol:
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

The second episode is available for your viewing pleasure online.
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Sweet shit, this is just too awesome for words. Sad there are no more episodes to be seen.
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

I know- but the other two "companion shows" which feature much of the same guys are pretty goddam funny- 12 episodes of "The IT Crowd" and 6 or the Snuff Box- they're out there- Snuff Box is where that "Guitar Lesson" is from, but the show is fuckin WEIRD

IT Crowd is more like a sitcom but with tons of over-the-top shit in it

Look it up if you liked Garth Merenghis's Dark Place, I guarantee you'll like it...

Oh and Man to Man with Dean Learner- 6 episodes of Dean interviewing different celebrities- ALL played by Garth Merenghi- actually one of the shows FEATURES Garth as the guest

Some is better than other but it's ALL good, glad you enjoyed it :mabs:
Vince, NO!!!!!

Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

A friend came over today and gave me all three seasons of the IT Crowd. It looked pretty funny if a bit more conventional than Darkplace. I'll start watching them soon.

Also, as I mentioned elsewhere, Mighty Boosh is coming to adult swim later this year. Even though you said it wasn't as good, I'd still like to check it out.
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

oh I don't think IT crowd will be anything short of hilarious for ya man, especially since you know a few of the actors from seeing them in Dark Place.... The first season is pretty funny, only seen the 3rd once through (and one episode per week, while it was comin out)

My personal fave would be season 2, especially the funeral episode and the one where Jen goes on a date which Moss and Roy kinda include themselves on. IT Crowd is nothing like Dark Place, it's much less about style and more of an actual comedy than a parody.

Mighty Boosh just did NOT work for me at all, not enough Matt Berry and the humour just doesn't "pop" for me at ALL like Dark Place, Snuff Box and IT Crowd do
Vince, NO!!!!!