if given the job of EIC, what would YOU do?

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: if given the job of EIC, what would YOU do?

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I just thought of the MelonFarmin' King of all Kang stories. Kang goes back in time and prevents all the heroes from ever becoming heroes.
Step one. He goes to Reed Richards--oh wait even better--He sounds the alarm at the rocket facility preventing Reed and the FF from even blasting off. Thus, there's no FF and no "Kickoff" to the Marvel Age. Johnny never finds Namor.
Step two. He stops Rick Jones from driving onto the test range. No Hulk. Rick Jones remains a nobody, so there's never a Teen Brigade. Since there's no Hulk, Loki never inadvertently forms the Avengers.
Step three. He stops Tony Stark from stepping on the landmine. Or perhaps even going on the trip to Vietghanistan. So there's no Iron Man. So there's no Starktech sub to find Captain America.

Etc etc etc.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Then Galactus shows up and Kang realizes everything is fucked.
The End.

Wait...there'd still mutants though.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Diabolical wrote:Then Galactus shows up and Kang realizes everything is fucked.
The End.
ha! That's an awesome ending.
Wait...there'd still mutants though.
Hmmm. If he got rid of Xavier and Magneto....
Oh they already did that one.
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

RoIIo Tomassi wrote:
Diabolical wrote:Then Galactus shows up and Kang realizes everything is fucked.
The End.
ha! That's an awesome ending.
Very Twilight Zone-esque.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

This will sound like I'm joking, but I am absolutely fucking serious here. It would take some serious finagling that borders on absurd to get it to happen, but, hey, that's what comics are for.

I would somehow make Skip Westcott the new Venom. This whole setup would've been far easier prior to the mass amnesia of Brand New Day, but could still somehow come to pass.

Yes, again, I am serious. Think of how serious a threat to Spider-Man that would be.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I think Marvel would like to pretend Skip Westcott doesn't exist. The baggage of explaining that Peter Parker was molested as a child is not worth bringing Skip back as a villain.

I had an idea of having The Burglar released from prison after 15 years or whatever and having him be remorseful and trying to go straight. And maybe even becoming a positive member of Peter's supporting cast. Having Peter reconcile with the guy an showing that the penal system actually worked or once would be interesting.
Sadly, Marvel killed him off a long time ago. Another wasted opportunity.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Hadn't been here in awhile. Came up with another idea the other day. Mostly my ideas stem from "hey whatever happened to..." some character that's been sidelined. I was thinking about Vance Astro aka Justice aka Marvel Boy.

Thinking about Vance's history, here's this young kid who's future self shows up on his front door and psionically jump starts his powers 1000 years early. So this young kid with powers wants to be a superhero. He idolizes the Avengers. He makes up a costume and gives himself the lame codename Marvel Boy and goes and applies to the Avengers. Cap politely turns him down (this happened in Cap 351 or 352 or thereabouts) and tells him he's not ready. Eventually he joins the New Warriors and gets some cred and experience. Then he kills his father(in self defense) and actually goes to prison for awhile. When he gets out, he renames himself Justice. Which is an equally pretentious codename. But remember, this kid's dream is to be an Avenger. It's like some kid wanting play for the NFL. or win an Oscar. Or have a hit album.
So, eventually, he does it! He gets called up to the Big Show, as it were. Things are going great. He's made it. His girlfriend/fiancée is on the team with him. Apart from some self esteem problems fighting alongside his idols like Cap, Thor, Iron Man etc he's accomplished his lifelong dream! Happy ending

Except it doesn't turn out the way he expected. Shit like Civil War and the SHRA happen and he becomes disillusioned with what being an Avenger is all about. Plus 80% of his New Warriors buddies are dead. Then his childhood hero Captain America gets killed. He starts teaching at the Initiative Compound but he keeps having to move the moral line over and over. Not to mention shit like the Illuminati, World Wat Hulk, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, Seige, etc. Oh, also his girlfriend got cancer from her mutant powers. They broke up, and he started hooking up with jailbait strange named UltraGirl.

Eventually he says fuck it and tells Hank Pym hes not gonna teach anymore and heads off on a road trip(with Robbie"Speedball"Baldwin who is almost an even bigger basket case than Vance. But that's a different story).

That's where the new series simply titled Vance Astro picks up. Vance has realized what a stupidly immature title "Justice" is. He's ditched the superhero costume altogether. Now he's just running around in blue jeans and a leather jacket or whatever. BUT, he's still one of the most powerful telekinetics on the planet. And he still has a purposeful sense of right and wrong (because he idolized Cap. That doesn't go away) its just he's not caught up in the bullshit posturing of wearing a cape and tights anymore. All that got stripped away by life experiences.
The book is kinda a deconstruction of the superhero tropes. What happens when a teen superhero grows up and the world isn't black/white anymore. He pretty much just crisscrosses the country in a beat up ragtop caddilac getting into trouble.

Besides, Vance Astro is way cooler codename than Justice anyway.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Nope. Sounds too cool for Marvel in 2012.

Done right, I'd read the hell out of it. And, seriously, man, I don't praise some of these ideas you toss out because I'm kissing your ass or something. In a perfect world, you'd have Alonso's job.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

Well, at the very least, Steve Wacker should have Alonso's job.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

This is more of a single issue story, than an idea for an ongoing series.
It's called "The last Silver Surfer story ever." It doesn't even matter what happens in the story. Only that, at the end, Norrin Radd gets depowered and Reed Richards or somebody just uses a Time Machine and sends him back to Zenn La the Day After he got turned into the Silver Surfer. And he just spends the rest of his life with Shalla Bal and they both die happily of old age surrounded by their kids, grand kids, and great grand kids. The Happy End.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I got an idea. (And feel free to crib the shit out of this one, Marvel) So there's this ginger haired guy that gets put into Witness Protection along with his hot Asian-American wife and their two kids. We never find out his real name, but his WitSec ID is Nathaniel North. Or maybe Eric East. Or perhaps even Steven South. Anyway, it turns out this guy secretly has super powers. He's incredibly fast. Like, faster than lightning. So, in order to keep his secret from the WitSec people, he has to hide his identity.
WitSec has relocated him to a vaguely Midwestern metropolis like St. Louis or Cleveland or Detroit. Someplace central. And he starts getting a collection of recurring villains. One might shoot ice out of a gun. Or use reflective surfaces somehow. Another may use small gags and tricks as a meme. Yet another might be a time traveling descendant of his from the future who dresses in a similar costume to his.

At some point, another publisher might start bitching that this character is a blatant ripoff of one of their characters. But since that publisher refuses to utilize said character and enjoys trolling their fans about said character every chance they get, then they can go screw themselves.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky

Post by anarky »

Well-played, Foolery.

I think there should be another character in the mix. A girl. Let's say she isn't a superhero, but was trained in fighting by her father (an non-powered supervillain) and her ex-boyfriend (a non-powered superhero). Give her a totally normal first name, something like Samantha. And a color for a last name. Samantha Green. I like the sound of it. She also has to hide her secret identity from the Witness Protection Program.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Samantha Green. I like it. I'd have her idolizing Moon Knight or somebody. And he constantly forbids her from running around fighting crime, but she does it anyway.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky

Post by anarky »

My thoughts exactly. (I seriously did think that, but figured I'd let Marvel come up with that part on their own.) And maybe she was the fill-in Jubilee until she was killed off, only it turns out she faked her death.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

This is only a germ of an idea. Y'know when Marvel and DC have/had "Event Months" like Zero Month or Flashback Month, or going back to the 80s with Assistant Editors Month?

This would be a tongue in cheek spoof of those. They would take all their minority characters and strong female characters and reimagine and "improve" them as White Male Superheroes in comics set in the 1950s. The entire thing would be a satire of the era. The more absurd the change, the funnier. Like having Black Panther be a white guy. Or Luke Cage, Power Man be a white guy.

It'd probably be taken the wrong way by too many people.