What have you watched lately?

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: What have you watched lately?

Post by Tom Foolery »

Nope. I haven’t watched any of Jordan Peele’s other movies, or his TV show for that matter. Honestly, I was bored for most of the film. I wouldn’t call it a bad film, but as far as “horror/thriller” goes, my pulse wasn’t elevated at any point.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

The Mask. Every few years I catch it on tv. I always forget how hot Cameron Diaz was in that movie. The real star of the movie was the dog.

I haven't seen any of Peele's movies, but I Key and Peele was hilarious. Some of the sketches skirt that line between comedy and humor. Most of the show was hilarious, the rest was kind of weird/uncomfortable.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent. The Nic Cage movie starring Nic Cage as Nic Cage. I read that Nic Cage wanted to play the Pedro Pascal role as Nic Cage’s biggest fan, and honestly, THAT movie would’ve been even funnier and more surreal. But this was a funny two hour diversion.

Lost City. Silly action comedy with Channing Tatum, Sandra Bullock, Daniel Radcliffe and Brad Pitt. Sort of an updated Romancing the Stone. Tatum has an under appreciated gift for physical comedy. Radcliffe also had some great lines as the villain.

Ambulance. Michael Bay has discovered drone cameras and used them with great frequency in this heist gone bad action chase movie. When he’s not shitting on the Transformers franchise, Bay can keep you entertained for a couple hours.

Everything Everywhere All At Once. Movie about the multiverse starts pretty slow and then gets weirder and weir….waitaminnit…is that goddamn Short Round?? It is!! Data is in this!! Interesting to watch once, but not exciting enough to invite multiple viewings.

Prey. The prequel to Predator that’s on Hulu. Holy shit, it was great. As good as the original movie(if not better) and easily better than any of the sequels.

Bullet Train. Funnest movie of the year. Plenty great characters. A few fun cameos. Lots and lots and lots of action. Go see this one.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

This kind of crosses movie and TV, since the "comeback" movie was followed just a few weeks later by the show, but the new Beavis & Butt-Head is absolutely glorious.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Paper Girls - only the concept seems to have been taken from the comic. I was more than little pissy that the 8 episodes weren't a complete story.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The Last Duel. The movie that bombed at the box office and Ridley Scott went on a tirade about Marvel ruining everything for other movies and the industry in general. The movie itself was good. The production value was insane. If you like Scott’s other period pieces like Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven, you’ll like this one. It’s a downer story. Nobody is really a good guy in it, except the wife, but she’s more treated as property as the rape victim. Like somebody keyed your car more than violated your life partner. But the performances were good from everyone.

vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Tom Foolery wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:41 pmthe wife, [...] she’s more treated as property as the rape victim. Like somebody keyed your car more than violated your life partner.
how is that not indicative of that time period? or this one, in certain areas of the world, for that matter?
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

vynsane wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:18 pm
Tom Foolery wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:41 pmthe wife, [...] she’s more treated as property as the rape victim. Like somebody keyed your car more than violated your life partner.
how is that not indicative of that time period? or this one, in certain areas of the world, for that matter?
I just meant that as far as traditional antagonist/protagonist in the film, Matt Damon’s character isn’t that much greater than Adam Driver’s. No one you should “root” for.

anarky

Post by anarky »

Weird.

Holy fucking dicknuts, this movie is absolutely bonkers and utterly hilarious. Stop reading this right now and download Roku and watch it. You'll thank me. You'll probably ring my doorbell tomorrow morning and beg to blow me. It's that good.

No, it's not as funny as UHF. But, really, what is? This is a worthy successor. Watch it already.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

I want to see Weird, but I haven't gotten around to getting Roku yet.

This weekend I found one of those classic tv stations I didn't know I had. Watched several episodes of Emergency! and a few Barney Miller. I know I watched Emergency when I was a kid, but don't remember any specific episodes. I actually still have the hot wheels fire trucks that look like the ones in the show. It has held up pretty well.

Barney Miller is still pretty good, too.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Weird is good, not great.
Some really good jokes, but not many big laughes. Lots of good meta jokes.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Ghostbusters: Afterlife. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was pretty good.

Still haven't watched Weird.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Planes, Trains, & Automobiles [my phone wanted to autocorrect that to "Autobots"]. Yup, never seen it. But I really quite liked it. Not sure how I avoided a Candy, Martin, and Hughes movie for so long.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Strange World. This movie is fantastic and amazing and every frame was a visual masterpiece. I’m so glad I watched it on the big screen and I am angry that the rest of the world didn’t go see it and caused it to flop at the box office, which will give it an undeserved patina of failure, because it was fucking beautiful.

Underwater. Kristen Stewart and some other people get trapped on the bottom of the ocean floor in the Marianas Trench and have to make it to another mining rig by walking in the utterly pitch dark seven miles while avoiding Cthulu. Marginally decent horror/thriller sci-fi.

Ran

Post by Ran »

Venom: Let there Be Carnage. I like the first one better. There were parts where I was bored and barely paying attention to it.