How/where do you display your stuff?

toys are cool. they are fun. you like to play with toys. no, not THOSE kinds of toys. well, okay, those are fun too...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

How/where do you display your stuff?

Post by Eternal Padawan »

Do you keep all your toylines separate? or do you just lump stuff up where you have room as you get it? Do you keep some stuff up longer than other stuff, or do you go in with the new out with the stuff i bought last week? How much space do you relegate to toys? A bookcase? A wall? A room? Where ever you have an open spot?

I used to do the "I've got space here..and her..and over here.." then I got frustrated with that and bought four bookcases and did up one side of my bedroom as a monument to all things Action figure. I kept toylines separate: TF Alternators, DCD Justic League, MOTU, ML Avengers, ML Spider-Man and villains, ML X-Men, ML everybody else, ML Fantastic Four, Muppets, etc. But since I moved I have to keep everything on small bookshelf and it's already starting to overflow.
"Say Jim! WHOOOO! That is a bad outFIT! Whooo!"--Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." --Megatron,Transformers: The Movie
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

I have a small office where my computer is. In that office are 4 relatively good sized shelving units, all of which have some sort of collector crap on them. At the current time I have the following things out on display:

Star Wars ships (numerous, boxed and loose) and loose figures from 2006

Vintage figures & Vintage Jabba

Carded SW and LOTR figures.

Numerous Star Wars novels and books.

Numerous Marvel Masterworks volumes.

I also have a load of stuff in here right now that I'm considering getting rid of (extra vintage SW figures, SW Silver figures that are still carded, etc).

Jodi organized the room for me, and I'm getting used to it now though I'd have chosen to have some of this stuff put elsewhere. I'd also like to have 2 long-boxes for comics in here, but the floor space just won't work.

My other crap is down in the basement in rubbermaid bins of various sizes, many under the stairs and a good number on shelves around the outside walls.
"Something inside me....."
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Slicker »

I keep all of mine kinda lumped together...in my storage garage.
Sweet berry wine!
Ran

Post by Ran »

The only toy I have displayed anywhere is an Adam West styled batmobile matchbox car I got when I was a kid.

Moves and kids have taken a toll on my toy displays. When we had a 2 bedroom house, I had my sports figures and some Star Wars out on a shelf and desk. When my first daughter was born, the collection was moved to the garage. At that point, I quit collecting sports figures. In the garage, I hung some carded SW and some sports figs on the wall. Then we moved. My collection was nicely displayed in a storage room we had in the townhouse. Then we moved to where I am now. It is a 3 bedroom house, so, I got the spare bedroom as a den...until my 2nd daughter was born. Now, the only Star Wars displayed anywhere in the house is in one of my daughter's rooms high upon a shelf. My wife collected most of the 12" Leias and Padmes, so they are mixed in with her boxed Barbies.

Now, my Star Wars are proudly displayed in plastic bins that are under my bed or in boxes in the closet and garage.
Slimmie
knightrider

Post by Slimmie »

We keep a few favorites in the nightstand, and the rest are in a box in my wife's closet.
"America is all about speed.
Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

I keep some displayed on my comp desk and some in my room on a shelf unit. Other than that, they are all in totes in the closet.
Negative Boy
knightrider

Post by Negative Boy »

Toy collecting is stupid. At what point did you all forget that you had grown up and become adults? Especially Eternal Padawan, who became an adult around WWII. I can think of an infinite amount of things to better spend your money on that stuupid little plastic dolls, hoping that they will incur some sort of intrinsic value somewhere down the road. I often find myself buying plastic silverware and speculating on it's future value and talking to other dorks about what new plastic fork is coming out and how many plastic spoons I have on the shelf in my office at work, while all my co-workers snicker and make fun of me behind my back. Ha ha. You guys are losers.
GOD! That is so STUPID!! You are WRONG!!

Eternal Padawan is DEAD!! Fuck yeah!
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Post by Eternal Padawan »

On my desk at work (nestled in next to my monitor, to the left of my keyboard) I have Bizarro, Leonardo from the new TMNT movie line, HML Hercules, and Frank Sinatra lookin' Muppet ( forget his name). I am debating whether to bring my three new Classic TFs ( Clifjumper, Skywarp, and Ultra Magnus) in and display any or all of them along side the figures I already have.

What do you think?
"Say Jim! WHOOOO! That is a bad outFIT! Whooo!"--Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." --Megatron,Transformers: The Movie
Ran

Re: How/where do you display your stuff?

Post by Ran »

Tom Foolery's post in the Lego thread made me thing about this.

Right now I have a few things on my desk at home... the Disney Store 14" SW figures, a 12" Spider Man, The Hanson Brothers from Slapshot, and a few other sports figures. I have a bunch of packaged die cast cars/vehicles above my work bench in the garage. There are some shelves in my closet that have a bunch of random sports/entertainment figures displayed (most of them are vintage or at least 70s/80s related. The closet wall has all my Elvis stuff.

This weekend I happened to be going through some boxes and realized how many carded SW and GI Joe I have. It would be nice to display a couple of the vintage style carded SW or more sports figures, but I just don't have anywhere to do it.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Most of my stuff is still in storage. It’s depressing.

I have a bookcase with all my Lego Modular City on the shelves. And a small hanging shelf with the Walgreens FF Marvel Legends on top, still in their boxes.

The other 99.999% of my massive collection is in boxes. In the dark.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

The only toys I have in Regina are 6" ESB related figures - ones I've purchased since I've been here.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Almost two years after we moved into the house, I felt confident that I had enough shelf space to start unpacking all the storage bins of figures I’ve had in storage, and then in the basement. I think I have 18-20 bins down there. About half of them are Legos, the other half are 6” figures.

Here is what ONE unpacked bin looks like.
Attachments
DA3369C6-5AEC-4ED5-9678-CA6F0884692A.jpeg
DA3369C6-5AEC-4ED5-9678-CA6F0884692A.jpeg (3.55 MiB) Viewed 835 times
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Ran

Post by Ran »

Nice Elvis collection. My senior year of high school, I took Yearbook as an elective. I mostly worked on layouts and graphics. One of my friends in the class was doing some stupid story about things you find in your belly button. I made a joke about seeing Elvis in there once, since one of the ongoing themes in The National Enquirer was Elvis sightings. The end of the school year rolls around, and we get the yearbooks, and not only did my quote make the article, but there was an illustration. The bastards hid it from me.

Anyway, my wife found it and for several years worth of birthdays, father's days, and Christmas, she and/or her mother would buy me something Elvis related. I have the McFarlane Viva Las Vegas Elvis and the '68 Comeback Special amongst other random shit. Most of it is hanging on a small wall in our closet.

Lately, I've been browsing the Action Figure and Star Wars collection sections of Reddit. Some people post a pictures with a few figures, some show bookcases and entire rooms full (which range from "impressive" to "holy fuck"). I know all of us here have been collecting at least Star Wars and Legos for a really long time. But, I'm pretty sure that none of us have the room to display much. My oldest kid graduates college this year, and my younger one is going to start college. I'm realizing that I might get a room back in the not too distant future and have been contemplating what I'm going to display.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I have come to the realization that I will have to rotate my stuff in and out since I dinnae have enough room to show everything.

Had some casualties in there. Snake Plissken’s hand broke off. Glue is tougher on smaller parts, but that’s a solution. Hawaii Elvis is busted at the torso, but can be glued.

Marv has holes in his feet for pegs, but no pegs on his SinCity stand. Wtf? Indy doesn’t even have peg holes, let alone pegs. And his hat barely stays on. Might use some tack or putty. I almost lost a Res Dog’s sunglasses in the carpet because they are so frickin tiny. Spent a good ten minutes sifting my hand across the floor. There are some loose joints here and there, but mostly they are too stiff. Like Hurley won’t fit both his feet on the proper pegs, and I’m afraid to pull on him too much.

I’m gonna find homes for all these, then open another bin and start the process all over.
In addition to sorting the comics….

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The Elvises weren’t mine originally. My GF at the time was into Elvis, and when she grew tired of the figures, I said I’d take them because I have a vast figure collection. I think I have an Elvis Street sign somewhere and a tin(?) portrait of him. I’m a hoarder.

Fan trivia factoid. At some point I mentioned my only Micro Machine ever was a white Lambo. You can see it next to the Lego Lambo on the shelf back there. I came across it digging thru other boxes and decided to display them together. Sadly, it’s rear spoil is missing.