Nintendo Wii

uh... you need that explained to you? are you that fucking stupid? its self explanitory. explanatory, even.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: Nintendo Wii

Post by anarky »

I've got to admit that, at this point, the PS3 is the better system. I love the Wii, but good games for it are few and far between. Basically, if you take all the games actually made by Nintendo out of the equation, you're lucky to get three worthwhile games a year that aren't in the Lego, Rock Band, or Guitar Hero series. Most of the ports are severely toned down--still fun, but not nearly as involved as they are on other systems--and there's maybe one game per year that's exclusive to Wii and worth playing.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Ran »

Gamestop has a set of universal HD cables (Wii, PS3, Xbox360) for $15. I was surprised how much they improve the video quality on the Wii. I recommend them if you have $15 laying around and have a Wii.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I actually never mentioned that. I got some HD cables from Circuit City when they went under. They do indeed dramatically improve the video, even though I think the Wii is still not true HD.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I hadn't bought any Wii games in forever, but I bought Goldeneye for $5 and Marvel SuperHero Squad for $15 since I was getting more expensive games for the kids.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
anarky

Post by anarky »

Got the Disney Princess game for Anarky Jr for Christmas. It's still a bit advanced for her, but she's enjoying it. I can see why it gets bad reviews, since reviewers are all gamers, and this is hella simple.

One thing that sucks--I saw a locked-off area with no visible means of access. There was clearly something behind the gate. However, since no gamers give a crap about this game, information online is nonexistent.
Ran

Post by Ran »

My kids have that one. I haven't seen enough of it to know about any secret areas.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Like I said, it was a bit advanced for her. The blurb on the back doesn't say much, so I thought it was all mini-games. I wound up doing most of the playing.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Looks like we're going to need to get JJL's Wii number now. :)
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

anarky wrote:Looks like we're going to need to get JJL's Wii number now. :)
I was just coming here to mention that, though I see that you saw it elsewhere first. :D

My family uses a modem instead of Wi-fi, so I'm not sure if we'll even be able to connect it to the internet. I'll give it a try, though.

So far, I've been playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Wii Sports. The first two are awesomely fun throwbacks to the old games, done in the scrolling, platforming style. The latter, well, if you bought a Wii then you already know it.

One thing that's somewhat frustrating is that it doesn't seem like anyone is selling the Rock Band or Guitar Hero setups for this system anymore. From what I've seen, they're redoing the instruments for the already-out Rock Band 3, but they don't seem to be out yet (aside from the retarded keyboard) and I don't think they'll be compatible with older games. I'm mainly interested in Rock Band 3 for its Queen content (especially the downloadable songs, another reason to connect it online) and in Beatles Rock Band, so I'd want to be able to play them both with the same equipment. I see on an older page that Rock Band doesn't require the extra Wii remotes, but Guitar Hero does, so I'm leaning towards a Rock Band setup. Any suggestions?
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Hmmm.... Until you mentioned that, I thought the bundles were still available. I'd hit up Target and any other local stores to see if they might possibly have some sitting around. This is pretty sucktastic.

I know the Wii can be hooked directly to a modem without wifi. I'm not sure offhand how to do it, but know it's not hard. Even if you don't play online, it's worth connecting just to get other folks' Miis. I've got less than ten "Wii friends" (about half of them here), but the Miis that travel over populate the background in a lot of the Nintendo-produced games.

Your next purchase should be Mario Kart Wii. There are some awesome games, but that one rules. And be careful to look at reviews of any third-party game you're unfamiliar with; an awful lot of Wii games unfortunately either cut corners or outright suck.

BTW, I am getting seriously fucking annoyed with that Princess game. I have to play it with Jr, because she's still too young to do anything on her own. When I tell her to follow me, Mrs A gets irritated and tells me to "let her explore." I haven't been able to hammer into her head that there's nothing to explore. We're talking an hour straight of two princesses just standing there, one of them occasionally walking into the wall.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Mt daughter got "Create" from EA which is turning out to be a fun problem solving game where you have to move objects (they can be balloons, little cars, even pieces of toast) using various items like fans, launchers, pulleys, etc. The more creative you are, the more things you umlock to use. There is also a "free create" zone where you can build an area from the ground up and put anything you want into it. Flowers, dinosaurs, roller coasters, kittens. Whatever.

Its actually kinda cool.

I also played Super Hero Squad and we blew through that in one evening. I'm glad I bought it on clearance.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

apparently there's a guitar hero: warriors of rock game that comes with a band bundle. we have the GH world tour band kit, and it's served us well. i see the GH pieces usage of the wii remotes to connect to the wii as an advantage, because it's less stuff that can break, but to each their own. you should add remotes anyway - by the time we had the chance to play GH:WT, we had three remotes anyway.

and, yes, get mario kart wii - it's frabulously splendibulous. we still need to get the vynsane 5000 tournament started some day.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

I always check for the rest of you fuckers, but I guess I'm never online at the same time. I did race against someone named UKWildcat once (may have mentioned it in this thread, actually), but it wasn't our UKWildcat.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Haven't bought any Wii games lately. I'll probably get Zelda at some point. Might get that new pro-wrestling game, too. It looks kind of arcady and has all the old school wrestlers from the 80s. Have to wait until the reviews come out.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Target has FlingSmash for $20 this week. We picked it up today. Not really for the game, but because it comes with a Wii Plus controller. The controller itself is normally $40. Seemed worth it.