How I realized I was over Star Wars completely

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: How I realized I was over Star Wars completely

Post by Diabolical »

Still better than The Last Jedi.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Diabolical wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:06 pm Still better than The Last Jedi.
You have a point there. I had to look it up, but the Holiday Special is 1 hour and 37 minutes. The Last Jedi is 2 hours and 32 minutes. That is almost an hour less to suffer.

Plus, the Holiday Special there is a pretty good chance I'd fall asleep during one of the musical numbers.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Happy Birthday to Samuel L Jackson.

Someone posted a gif on Twitter of him killing Jango Fett. I forgot he cut off Jango Fett's right hand, left arm, and stabs him in the right thigh before cutting off his head and striking a pose.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Ran wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:20 pm I forgot he cut off Jango Fett's right hand, left arm, and stabs him in the right thigh before cutting off his head and striking a pose.
just watched that scene on Disney+... that's not what it looks like to me. he chops diagonally downward to the left, chopping the blaster in half, then spins around and swings horizontally at the neck, decapitating him. it cuts to a frontal shot of Jango's body which slumps to the ground. both arms/hands are unscathed.

was there an unused/alternate take that was more vicious?
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Ran

Post by Ran »

I saw it on twitter and watched it a few times. Of course I couldn't find it again on Twitter, so I googled it. It is labeled as a deleted scene, but not sure if it is legit.

https://www.tiktok.com/@medinalorian23/ ... 0246905131

It has been a while since I've seen AOTC, but it wasn't how I remembered it.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

21 years later and I just found out Mace also cut Jango's hand off.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

First I watched Rebel Moon, ZackSnyder’s rejected SW pitch that got reworked into an “original” story. The entire cast is made up of if the producers and director had a dream cast and the casting agent started making calls and were told no by the first seven people on the list for every main part in the movie. Wretched dialogue delivered by mediocre supporting player thrust into star roles. Snyder literally borrows from like 30 other films. It’s like Seven Samurai in outer space minus the part where that premise is actually a cool idea in a different director’s hands. And remember, they split the movie in two, so this is only the part where they recruit the seven “bad asses”(who each get their own artificial recruitment scene to show how “badass” they are) and then the movie ends. Netflix was gonna release this in theaters first, which they wisely changed their minds on because it would’ve flopped. The Snyder zealots will love it, not realizing it’s more of the same turgid donkey shit he’s been pooping out for years.

After that, I watched The Creator, Gareth Edward’s movie he made after Rogue One, on Hulu. It’s as good as Rebel Moon is bad. A fully realized world and mythology is expertly built up in the aftermath of an accidental nuke destroys Los Angeles and the war that follows where the West has outlawed AI and “New Asia” has embraced them as citizens. So good. So so very good. I wish I’d gone and seen it on the big screen.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Ran

Post by Ran »

There was a headline online somewhere for an article about a Zack Snyder already talking about his Director's Cut. I didn't click on it. Isn't this the guy that responsible for all of the DC movies that everyone hates except for a small group of fanboys?
Rollo Tornassi
bacon

Post by Rollo Tornassi »

Just got back from watching Star Wars:Rogue Squadron!! What an awesome thrill ride! It’s like Top Gun meets Ocean’s Eleven in space!! Holy shit, Patty Jenkins hits it out of the park and it sets up plenty of sequels!!

I was a little hesitant when they announced this back in 2020 and named the release date of Dec 22nd, 2023. But here we are with what is possibly the best SW movie outside the original cult film that never did any business until they started mining every single old IP they could find.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Funny post, EP. I showed those 2 trailers to Jodi & she said they were completely interchangeable - could have all been for one movie. I guess I have a type. I'm half way through Rebel Moon & just don't care about it. I'll finish because I have a few days off. The Creator will be next. I've still got Killers of the Flower Moon & Oppenheimer sitting here waiting as well, but those feel very daunting to even start on.
"Something inside me....."
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Anyone else thinking from what little we know of the Rey movie, including the working title and some shit established in the Ahsoka show, that Chewbacca might want to watch for falling moons?

And 110% obvious that half of Tales of the Empire will be about Barriss "Swear to God, I Was Originally Older Than Anakin" Offee passing every trial to become an Inquisitor... only to be presented to Vader, who will make some comment only she recognizes as being from Anakin Skywalker right before he brutally kills her?

Third, God bless Lucasfilm for giving us such a disjointed Sequel Trilogy that we're getting such good stuff now trying to explain all the bullshit they couldn't be bothered to think through. Yeah, it would've been nicer to just get a great Sequel Trilogy, but we didn't, so now we get this generation's version of the Darth Plagueis novel to fix all the crap.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Kathleen Kennedy needs to be shown the door.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Kinda Star Wars, kinda watched lately - so Star Wars it is. Doing a prequel run today. TPM before lunch, thoroughly enjoyed that. Just finished AOTC which I haven't sat through in its entirety since we were plugging up ssg server traffic with inane prattle. I quite liked it. Yes the droid factory is absolute foolishness, but "AROUND THE SURVIVORS, A PERMITER CREATE!" hit with the original level of gravitas. Even the ultimate duel between Dooku & Yoda didn't seem as silly as it did upon my first viewing what, 22 years ago now?

It also reminded me of some of the cool figures from back then. Trying to track down the 2nd year's worth of stuff in Canada was a nightmare - you might remember the KebCo debacle - somehow I came out of that with all my toys & no money missing. Lucky I was. Of interest - after all that chasing & ovespending on US prices plus shipping..... NONE of that stuff is still in my collection.

Up next - ROTS - as soon as I get out & tidy up the yard a little bit. Looking forward to finishing strong.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

AOTC is my least favorite of the PT.
It has some cool moments but a lot of the effects don't hold up as much as the other two. The CG clone armor sticks out in my mind as being really video game cut scene quality.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I have to agree - it's objectively the "worst" chapter of the six movies that count. That being said, the bads weren't as bad as I remembered them to be (likely because I wasn't suffering through them for the first time again).