What's up with the pathetic remakes of shit

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: What's up with the pathetic remakes of shit

Post by Ran »

Adam Sandler is working on the sequel to Happy Gilmore.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

Ran wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:30 pm Adam Sandler is working on the sequel to Happy Gilmore.
what remote, tropical/exotic location does he end up happening to go to in this movie, i wonder? sandler has been bankrolling all his vacations for the past decade by conveniently setting his movies in places like Hawai'i and South Africa.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I want to be excited for another Happy Gilmore but legasequels rarely live up to the hype.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Started watching the new RoadHouse remake with Jake Gyllenhaal. As I often do, I’ll open imdb and read the trivia and whatnot about the film.

However, the first entry in the ‘goofs’ section had me rolling on the floor.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3359350/?r ... _nm_3_q_ro

Also, whether or not I found RoadHouse entertaining on its own merits or not is irrelevant.
There are some movies that should’ve never been remade. Princess Bride is one. But the original RoadHouse is definitely another. Leave it alone.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

for whatever reason, the missus wanted to watch the "new" Roadhouse. it was so terrible.

on a separate note, we recently got a smart TV (instead of a dumb TV and game console for streaming) and i have motion smoothing turned off globally, but for some reason the Prime Video app all of a sudden does motion smoothing, and everything looks terrible now. i can't find a way to turn it off. i don't think that's the sole reason why Roadhouse was terrible, but it didn't help, making it look all Soap Opera-y.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Still seeking the original Roadhouse flowchart where different stupid behaviors caused you to interact with SWAYZE which then always led directly to FUCKED.
"Something inside me....."
Ran

Post by Ran »

I saw the original Roadhouse once and can't remember anything about it other than Patrick Swayze was a bouncer at a bar. It came out on VHS (and probably Beta) while I was working at the video store. I don't remember it being any more popular than any other "new release" back then. I can't remember anyone ever quoting it. It seems like everyone else has some loving connection to that movie that I completely missed.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

It had nudity in it. Honestly that was likely a big contributing factor to its popularity.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

vynsane wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm for whatever reason, the missus wanted to watch the "new" Roadhouse. it was so terrible.
It was not great.
There were a few scenes I thought were funny, but they were outweighed by soooo many awkward expositional scenes, or expanding on plot points that didn’t need expanding, or scenes that had Connor McGregor in them. The awkward introduction of the bookselling kid and her dad. They needed TWO different exchanges to explain the name of the bar? The bar’s name was irrelevant in the original. The love interest needed to be the sheriff’s daughter? The shaving on the yacht in high seas? The scene on the train tracks incongruent with his behavior for the rest of the film. The overly complicated and equally uninteresting reasons for the bad guy trying to oust the bar owner. Just a dumpster of wasted potential and zero need to sully a classic cult film’s name.

I remember reading Doug Liman the director was pissed Amazon was putting this straight to streaming instead of in theaters, but they definitely made the right decision there.
He’s done some great movies in the past, like Swingers, the first Bourne movie, and Edge of Tomorrow, but this was a mess.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

As for the original RoadHouse’s appeal, it wasn’t a big hit when it came out 1989. It was the 44th highest grossing movie of the year. Weekend at Bernie’s is above it on the BO list. And it’s not a particularly great movie. It’s not life affirming or anything.
But it’s a movie that doesn’t try to be anything more than what it is, a modern day western where the stranger from out of town comes in and cleans up the place. And like JJ said, there’s some boobies. And Sam Elliot is in it. Add 30+ years of late night cable viewing and a dash of Family Guy references and boom! You've got a cult hit.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

The only part of Roadhouse I remember.
Attachments
65af19cf-f35e-4454-8e47-f86a287b70e9_text.gif
65af19cf-f35e-4454-8e47-f86a287b70e9_text.gif (361.18 KiB) Viewed 53 times
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Matrix 5. We didn’t need the last one, and it didn’t do very well as I recall. So what does Warner Discovery think is going to happen with this one?
What’s the last five-quel that knocked anyone’s socks off? I’ll wait for your answers…

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Is this the first non-Wachowski one, or was part iv also not theirs? I wonder if someone else has come up with an interesting idea for that IP...
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

For the 4th one, WB told the sisters ‘we are doing this with or without you’. One of them came back, the other one didn’t. Ironically their reasons for doing so were the same. Their parents had recently died and one of them didn’t have the emotional stamina to take on a new Matrix entry. The other one used the film to cathartically move on from it.
Which is why the movie kinda sucked ass in my opinion. Neo and Trinity had a shitty ending in the trilogy, and this movie, being a metaphor for her dead parents, lets them end the film together as a happy super hero couple. Bleah.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Hm, I'm not sure I could tell you anything that happened in Matrix 2, 3, or 4.