The Greatest Adventure of all time...

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: The Greatest Adventure of all time...

Post by Tom Foolery »

Last Monday, my friend was talking about the new movie and he asked if I wanted to be spoiled. I said no, so he told me there’s a twist in the third act people are either gonna be on board with or they won’t. Then I read a non-spoilery review that referred tosaid plot twist as “ballsy”. Needless to say, I was intrigued and started thinking of what it could be. My daughter suggested they were gonna kill him off and we started making ‘InDiEana Jones and the DIEal of DIEstiny” jokes. I said since the plot involved time travel, they were gonna reboot and Tom Selleck was gonna show up. Neither of those happened. Apparently “ballsy” is when a movie whose plot revolves around time travel actually travels back in time and we briefly meet Archimedes in the year 200 BCE. Not unlike meeting a several century year old knight from the crusades, or having the Ark of the Covenant melt people’s faces. Or aliens. :roll:

So we ended up going to see it. It’s serviceable enough as an Indy Jones movie, and in many ways it’s better than Crystal Skull, but at the same time, the tone is off given that it’s a different director. Ultimately, it’s just a cookie cutter cash grab by the Disney machine and Indiana Jones had the perfect metaphorical send off riding off into the sunset at the end of Last Crusade.
Or maybe my expectations are way too high when you wait 19 years, and then another 15 years in between sequels. Even if they were sparingly doing a new movie every 5-6 years, that’s still a half dozen Indy adventures we missed out on because Spielberg, Lucas, and Ford couldn’t get their schedules in order.

What was the point of the guy sleeping in the plane?
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Too implausible. Too silly. Too over the top.

In other words, it was a great Indiana Jones movie & I loved it. Even the score, which was fantastic, made me weepy because someone out there has done the unthinkable - they've taken over for John Williams & knocked it out of the park. EDITED: Holy shit, it really was John Williams! I thought he had retired a couple of years ago. Disregard.

Was it perfect? No, probably not, but I'm still highly recommending you go see it.
"Something inside me....."
Ran

Post by Ran »

I think we're going to see it next weekend. Hopefully it makes sense without seeing the Crystal Skull, because I never saw whole thing.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I put Crystal Skull out of my mind completely & was ok with this making sense. No problem at all.
"Something inside me....."
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

i'm going to have to wait until it shows up on streaming. i can get the wife to reluctantly go to SW movies, and i have an ally in our daughter, but i can't get either of them into Indy.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

vynsane wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:20 am i'm going to have to wait until it shows up on streaming. i can get the wife to reluctantly go to SW movies, and i have an ally in our daughter, but i can't get either of them into Indy.
Leave her at home.
I go see my movies all the time solo.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Finally saw it today. I thought it was ok.

Random thoughts:

The special effects guys at Lucasfilm are getting really good with the de-aging thing.
They went a bit over the top on a bunch of things except for the main Nazi deaths. The weren't as fantastic as the villains in the first 3 movies. No one had their face melted off, or
It seems that the rope bridge in the cave magically fixed itself.
Something about Indiana Jones' character had the same feel as Han Solo in The Force Awakens. Lost his kid and his wife and sort of has given up on life.