Netflix Original Series

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Netflix Original Series

Post by Tom Foolery »

I sorta started watching Cobra Kai this weekend. For some reason, when I first heard about it, I thought it was a fanmade spoof made on the cheap that they had gotten Zabka and Macchio to do for fun. Like short ten minute episodes making fun of the old films.
Instead it’s a slickly produced actual half hour show. I’d say it’s about 70% teen high school drama(like something you’d see on CW) and about 30% nostalgia kick. There is some inherent humor in the fact these two are reprising their roles from the movie(s) and that Johnny is the “Hero” this time around, but even if I’d never seen the original, I was enjoying it. It’s definitely not must watch TV, but it was entertaining enough for the half dozen episodes I binged.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Not a Netflix original, but we've been watching Schitt's Creek on Netflix and loving it.
Five seasons are on there, with the Sixth and final season coming in October.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Masters of the Universe: Revelation, uh, exists. I didn't find it to be very good, but YMMV.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

It's not bad. A nice mix of the original cheesiness and an updated take.
Definitely not what anyone was expecting.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I'm going to have to retract my previous statement. I still think the first episode was pretty weak, but E2 was probably the biggest improvement I've ever seen between two episodes of a show, and the rest of the series is a blast.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

I never thought when I saw the announcement and synopsis that I'd say this, but Camp Cretaceous is actually quite good. It's definitely aimed at kids, but captures the Jurassic Park feel perfectly. It's better than some of the live action films (granted, not the highest bar for some of them).

One very subtle joke about an event that went down much differently in the novel had me laughing harder than I've laughed at anything else on TV all month.

Three of the kids wind up at the site of Jurassic Park, which apparently was just left to rot on the other side of the island from Jurassic World.

One kid says it's cursed, because she heard the original owner broke his legs and was eaten by Compies, which is how the (total asshole) John Hammond died at the end of the book.

When another kid points out lovable grandpa movieverse Hammond died of natural causes and asks where she heard such a story, she says, "I read it somewhere."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

anarky wrote:Masters of the Universe: Revelation, uh, exists. I didn't find it to be very good, but YMMV.
I’m liking it. I was never a die-hard MotU fan when I was a kid, so any “changes” to the mythology don’t bug me. Besides, this isn’t even the first re-do.

I’m digging making the women the main characters. It’s a nice change of pace.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

anarky

Post by anarky »

They... still... talk... too... slowly... but, other than that, War For Cybertron stuck the landing.

It was like dumping out all your TF toys from different lines onto the floor and playing with them all together.
anarky

Post by anarky »

This might sound a bit weird coming from, and it's technically not a Netflix original (even if they claim it is), but Crash Landing Into You is surprisingly excellent.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

After bingeing two seasons of Ozark almost two years ago, I finally started season 3 last week because the first half of the final season came out and I decided to ‘catch up’.

Still haven't started Witcher season 2 yet.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I was done after season 1, episode 1 of Ozark.
I was bored through the entire thing and there was nothing that made me want to continue.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Vincenzo. Holy fucking shit, this is an incredible show. It's about a Mafia consigliere who returns to his birth country of South Korea and that's all I'll say. It's mostly a crime action drama, but like so many K-dramas, it skirts multiple genres.

From the first scene, I thought Vincenzo Cassano was as badass as Snake Eyes. I was wrong. Snake Eyes calls him "Sir."

Absolutely fucking amazing.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Stranger Things last two episodes of the fourth season dropped this week. One of them is 90 minutes long. The other is 2 hours 22 minutes.

Bring a hanky.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Best villain reveal since true detective season 1. Whomever that is, is my pick for young Victor von doom.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Watched the first couple episodes of ‘That 90’s Show’. It was suitably nostalgic. Fun seeing Eric, Donna, Jackie, and Kelso back for cameos. I chuckled a few times, mostly at Red and Kitty’s lines. The new generation of kids didn’t leave much of an impression. And I’m not sure how 90’s accurate it is/was. Like it was a very blah decade for me, so how do you brand that aesthetic for an entire series? They throw in occasional references like Eric drinking a Zima, but its anemic. Not sure if i’ll finish it. Most shows I watch get unfinished.