So, What comics did you buy this week?

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
John Kalodner: John Kalodner

Re: So, What comics did you buy this week?

Post by Diabolical »

anarky wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:29 pm Batman '89. First, what the fuck is up with all the promo art showing Prince from Batdance, then not including him? Fuck that noise!

Pretty decent. I actually really liked the story. It seemed like an organic progression of Batman Returns. The execution was a mixed bag. There were several points where the art was pretty, but the storytelling so muddy I had to go back when I realized I missed some major point, usually a character being shot, which the guy seemed to have serious trouble conveying. All in all worth reading, but not going to inspire decades of sequels. (I understand a follow-up to Superman '78 got the green light, but not the case here.)
It was just ok. I feel like they added a bunch of currently relevant shit to pad out the story to 6 issues.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Started Bendis’ runs of Action and Superman. It occurred to me that while I have diligently collected most everything Superman over the last four decades, the actual reading part has been sporadic. Last stuff I read was the run leading up to 1000 and the Man of Steel mini. Bad guy Rogol Zaar destroyed the Fortress of Solitude and the Bottled City of Kandor. Lois and Jon left with Jor-El on a space vacation and the communicator got destroyed so Clark can’t contact them. Eventually Zaar gets put in the Phantom Zone and Supergirl heads into space to find answers. So that’s where MoS left off, with Superman being alone on Earth with no family and his heritage destroyed as Bendis begins his run.

Superman 1-6. The Superman book looks to be more outerspace adventures, while Action looks to be Metropolis/Daily Planet type stuff. Kal makes a new Fortress in the Bermuda Triangle. STAR Labs accidentally zaps the entire Earth into the Phantom Zone. The Justice League is dealing with Earth falling apart while Zaar has recruited all the inmates of the Zone including Jax-Ur as an army to attack Earth. The Atom figures out a way to shrink Earth to fit in the portable PZ projector and send it back to real space. Zod shows up and tells them to send him into the Zone to help Kal fight Zaar. At the end The Atom and STAR Labs pull Clark out of the fight just as he and Zod are beating Zaar. Then Jon comes home and he’s no longer 10 years old, he’s seventeeeeeen!

Action 1001-1006. Someone is setting fires in Metropolis and witnesses are saying it was Superman. It turns out there’s a super secret organized crime outfit operating in Metropolis. They meet in lead lined containers and have a list of words never spoken lest superhearing catches them. Their new enforcer is the Red Cloud who’s secret identity is new Daily Planet reporter. And the head of the Invisible Mafia is an old black lady who also happens to be the new owner of the Planet. Also Lois came back from space after like a week and didn’t tell Clark. She just went undercover on some investigative journalist stuff. But the Planet’s gossip columnist catches Lois and Supes canoodling and now everyone thinks Lois is cheating on Clark with Superman.

Both series had a distinct tone, and the crossover was minimal. Occasional references to the events of the other series, but not feeling like you were missing key plot points by not following both books. You can tell Bendis is having fun on THE flagship of all comic characters. Good stuff.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Superman 7-15. A now almost adult Jonathan Kent explains how he was space traveling with his Grandpa Jor-El when he got sucked into a dimensional portal onto Earth-3 where Ultraman and the Crime Syndicate stuck him in a volcano prison for several years before he escaped and Jor-El came and got him back to the correct dimension, but it had been seven years for him, but only three weeks for Clark and Lois. Then Superman and Jon head out into space and find various alien races attacking Jor-El’s ship and we find out there was a vast galactic conspiracy that knew Krypton was gonna explode and did nothing and that Jor-El was part of a space illuminati and may have been responsible for Rogol Zaar. Jon then suggests a United Nations for the Galaxy and Superman urges everyone to join, and the Legion of Super-Heroes show up from the 31st Century to witness the formation of the United Planets, which makes everyone kinda have to join since its been around for 1000 years according to the LoSh. The Legion invites Jon to come back with them. The new United Planets charge and try Jor-El and his punishment is to be sent back to when he left the timeline and he gets sent back just as Krypton explodes.

Superman 16. Jon heads back to Earth and has a team-up with Damian who hasn’t seen him since he got old. They fight some bad guys fir old times sake, then Jon decides to go to the 31st Century.

Action 1007-1014. The lead up to Event Leviathan. A new super secret organization targets ALL the other secret organizations. Kobra is decimated, the DEO gets blown up, and Sam Lane and Amanda Waller survive assassination attempts. Spyral gets attacked. Waller shows up at Lois and Clark’s apartment, Lois gets furious for her almost blowing Clark’s secret ID. They take her to the Fortress and try to unravel who or what Leviathan is. All this leads into the Leviathan Rising oneshot, and the Leviathan miniseries, which I read a few years ago.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Action 1015-1021. Naomi shows up immediately after her miniseries ended and tells Superman and Batman about the supervillain from her original dimension that may be coming to attack Earth. Then Red Cloud attacks Superman and Naomi helps defeat her. Those two issues are followed by an EPIC storyline where Lex and his Legion of Doom team up with Leviathan to attack Metropolis with the intent of softening up Superman enough that Red Cloud can finish him off for good. Young Justice and the Justice League show up to help Superman. But the villains were not counting on Connor Kent to be helping(continuity fuckery because apparently Connor did not exist until he showed up in the new YJ series and he has to introduce himself to Superman) and the tide is turned when Leviathan double crosses the Legion of Doom and Red Cloud has a last minute change of heart when a dying Superman asks her to save children on a schoolbus from a fire. SOUNDS AWESOME, RIGHT?? And it was ruined because John Romita Jr was shitting all over it with his horrid art. Seriously, his art has regressed to that of a sixth grader.

Superman 17-22. After privately coming out to Perry and Jimmy, Superman reveals his secret identity at a press conference in front of the Daily Planet. Then he heads out to the United Planets and has an epic three issue knockdown brawl with Mongul the Merciless who is trying to destroy the UP before it gets started by killing all the leaders of the different factions while they are deciding on a neutral site to build on. Meanwhile Lois gets ambushed by the press when video of Superman stating he will represent Earth in the United Planets is released. In the end the UN on Earth decides Superman is probably the best choice to represent them, but warn him that between him revealing his ID and this, he will be extra scrutinized going forward and can make zero mistakes.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Bendis wrapped up his runs on both series with these last two arcs.

Action 1022-1028. Superman brings Connor to the Fortress to figure out who he is. Jon returns from the future with visitor Brainiac-5. They take Connor to Kansas where Ma and Pa’s memories of him return when they see him. Just then, Clark gets a ‘help me’ message from Lois when she and Jimmy are investigating the Invisible Mafia’s enforcer Red Cloud. The Daily Planet is under investigation by the FBI after Lois published an article that their new owner is also the head of the Invisible Mafia(this bombshell happened in a book I haven’t read yet). The Red Cloud escalates the war by killing Melody Moore, the Fire Chief and ally of Superman’s who was also running for mayor. Then they release an alt version of Parasite from STAR Labs to kill all the Supes, and Supergirl returns to join the fight. I’m missing issue 1027, but everything gets resolved in 1028 when Jimmy Olsen buys the Planet and gives control to Perry, Connor goes to live with the Kents, and Jon returns to the future. Lois and Clark get back to their jobs reporting the news and saving the world. Romita continued to suck it on art.

Superman 23-28. After his big reveal, Superman has a talk with Doctor Fate about all the stuff that’s happened leading up to his decision. It was sort of a recap of Bendis’ entire run up to this point, then they got interrupted by an ancient Chaos God who wants Fate’s helmet back. Then an alien race called the Synmar create their own version of Superman in anticipation of the Kryptonian eventually attacking them. This new alien heads to Earth to attack Superman who returns with the alien to his homeworld to rescue them.

Superman 29 and Action 1029. New writer Phil Jackson(no, not that one) takes over for a weak two parter where Clark and Jon team up to fight some space aliens released by a STAR labs space station.

Between the two ongoings, a couple minis, and oneshots, Bendis did about 70 issues worth of stories. Solid stuff. I enjoyed it with very few gripes.

Next up, a bunch of Superman related books, like the 100 Page issues, a few oneshots, and a Tom King miniseries.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The rest of the Superman stuff.

Superman:Leviathan Rising oneshot. Led into the Event Leviathan miniseries. I had read it before, but rereading it made more sense as I knew who more of the supporting players were this time around. Leviathan kidnaps Clark and puts a kryptonite harness on him, expecting Superman to come rescue him. Lois and Batman figure it out and save him.

Superman: Heroes and Superman:Villains oneshots. After Clark revealed his identity, these two issues had an assortment of stories of the reactions of his allies and enemies. The Luthor one was pretty great. He has 92 unheard messages; they are all the Joker laughing at him.

Superman:Up in the Sky 1-6. Tom King and Andy Kubert tell the story of a little foster girl who gets kidnapped by aliens, and Superman efforts to rescue her on the other side of the universe. Each issue was two stand alone shorter chapters where King expertly distills what makes Superman Superman. I actually got a little choked up reading the finale. Wow.

Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen 1-2. Matt Fraction wrote a 12 issue maxi series, but I only got the first two issues. Jimmy goes undercover to solve his own murder. Along with the Lois Lane maxi that came out about the same time, now I want to find the rest of the story. Between this series and Bendis writing Jimmy, I get super angry with Zack Snyder’s atrocious character assassination of him in BvsS.

Superman 100 Page Giant 1-3. One new story and three reprints per issue. The new stories by Robert Venditti and Paul Pelletier weren’t awful, but not exceptional either.

Superman:Red and Blue 1. Anthology series with the gimmick of all the art being done in two colors. Like the Batman:Black and White books, but Superman-ish. As with all anthology stories, some good, some not so good.

Truth and Justice 2. Randomly had this in the box. Clark writes about social injustice of higher incarcerations for black men. And there’s a Superman story attached where he fights some teleporting hi-tech goon, but mostly it was an agenda issue. Which I’m all for, but it was pretty obvi.

Next up, the last of the ‘S’ stuff, then onto the ‘T’s. More than 3/4ths thru the box. Superman takes up a lot of box space.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Swamp Thing 100 Page Giant 1. There were more of these, but I only got the first one. There’s not a lot of variety in Swamp Thing stories. The reprint stories were from other people’s books; Hellblazer and Zatanna. Because if they’d done 4 Swamp stories, it’d be the same story four times.

Swamp Thing 1. I only got the first issue of a new maxi series. Mike Perkins was on art and I like Perkins, but he isn’t enough to get to buy 12 issues of Swamp Thing.

S.W.O.R.D. 1-4. Abigail Brand leads an eclectic team on Krakoa’s own space station/Space Defense Team. Marvel is finding a place for EVERY mutant ever. Wiz Kid, Fabian Cortez, Peepers, and Frenzy are just a few of the team members. The series only lasted 11 issues, and these first four were King in Black tie-ins. Knull possesses Kid Cable and wreaks havic on the refurbished Peak Orbital Station. Manifold with help from Frenzy defeats him. Al Ewing is doing what he can with a bunch of mutant d-listers.

Swordmaster 1-12. This series and Aero were two series that debuted Chinese heroes by Chinese creators that were then adapted to english. Lin Lie’s archeologist father left a jade sword with his son, then disappeared. While searching for clues to his missing father, Lin is attacked by a demon delivery monster. A woman shows up and explains he’s the heir to one of three ancient guardians who imprisoned the Chinese God of War thousands of years ago. Lin then bumbles his way thru the rest of the series as others, including Dr Strange, offer to take the sword off his hands because he clearly doesn’t know how to use it or protect others with it. Eventually he, the girl(who is the second guardian) and an old lady(the third guardian) and their army of followers defend the resting place of the destroyed god from demons wanting to resurrect him. Then the poorly paced “origin” of this dopey fuck just ends without resolving the mystery of his father, or him stepping up and learning to use his ‘swordmaster’ powers or even a decent cliffhanger that makes you want to find out what happens next. It just ends. I haven’t read it yet, but apparently this shmuck is the new Iron Fist. I can see no narrative path where this doofus manchild guy inherits the Iron Fist. I want to rant more, but I’ll wait to read the Iron Fist series before doing so.

Up next, the ‘T’s!

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Spent last weekend and a majority of my free time during the week sorting, organizing, and rebagging/boarding the three boxes I bought last Saturday. Haven’t got much reading done.

Tarot 1-4. An Avengers/Defenders mini written by Alan Davis, but drawn by somebody who is not Alan Davis. Set during the heydey of both teams(somewhere in that late 70s early 80s era), Diablo is using a mystical goo to empower some tarot cards to mind-control the heroes. When the cards get cleaved in two and then reassembled with different tops and bottoms, it creates all new heroes who have to figure out that they aren’t supposed to exist and return things to normal. Mildly clever hero mash-ups aside, this was a pretty unremarkable series.

Taskmaster 1-5. When someone kills Maria Hill and frames Taskmaster for the murder, he has to team up with Nick Fury Jr to clear his name before Black Widow hunts him down for revenge. Their only clue is a H.A.M.M.E.R.-era doomsday failsafe which requires kinesec verification from Phil Coulson, Okoye of Wakanda, and Ami Han(White Fox) of Korea’s Tiger Division. So Tasky has to mimic their movements with his photgraphic reflexes and unlock the failsafe. The whole thing is a fake out by the not dead Maria Hill to get access to the program to deactivate it, but Tasky, not happy with being manipulated, activates it instead. Pretty fun mini from Jed McKay.

Next up, Teen Titans.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The most recent run of Teen Titans was launched during Rebirth. It ran 47 issues, but I only have from issue 23 on. Damian Wayne decides to start his own super team, including Kid Flash Wallace West, the Red Arrow, who is the daughter of Shado and I’m assuming Oliver Queen, a 4000 year old teenage genie named Djinn, Crush, the daughter of Lobo, and a new kid named Roundhouse, whose power is to turn into different elements I think.

23-26. Robin and his team have been fighting an unseen enemy called The Other. Robin has been keeping secrets from the rest of the team, like the secret prison in the basement of their HQ where villains like Black Mask, Brother Blood, Gizmo, etc. I’m assuming they were captured in earlier arcs in the series. He’s also getting intel on The Other from Jason Todd aka Red Hood. Crush also sees a newscast about Lobo on Earth and realizes she might be his daughter.
27. There was an Annual I don’t have where Red Hood and Damian had a falling out. Damian gotnhis ass kicked. There’s some bonding between teammates. Red Arrow finds out about the secret basement prison. Crush gets a crush on Djinn, Djinn gets a crush on Damian. Then Deathstroke shows up.
28-30. A crossover with Deathstroke’s ongoing. The Titans capture Slade. Kid Flash finds out about the secret basement prison and has a problem with it. One of the team lets Slade and the other prisoners out, but we don’t know who. Eventually Red Arrow kills Slade(he came back like two issues later in his own book) and the rest of the team finds out about the secret basement prison. There’s a big argument about it that gets interrupted by Lobo showing up looking for his daughter.
31-32. Lobo vs the Teen Titans. They defeat him and Djinn casts a spell on him that erases his memories/personality. I call bullshit on the TT defeating the Main Man, but I’ll allow it because it was a pretty fun issue. At the end Lex Luthor shows up and offers Lobo a “gift” as part of the Year of the Villain stuff.
33-37. Someone steals Djinn’s ring(her ‘lamp’) and Robin puts the HQ on lockdown. He questions each team member, before the shocking twist at the end that Roundhouse took the ring to control Djinn to stop Damian’s questionable moral tactics. He forces Djinn back into her ring and the team is in shambles when Lobo shows up again, and mind controls Crush into taking out the team and delivering them to the mysterious The Other….ooh! Cliffhanger!

Next up, the rest of the series.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The rest of the Teen Titans.

37-38. The Other turns out to be Damian’s clone from the Batman Inc run. He’s called Heretic. Somebody sewed his head back on and threw him in a Lazarus Pit. Anyway, he tries to convince Robin to take over his criminal empire, but Damian says no and they kids rally and defeat him but he escapes.

39-41. Adam Glass finished up his run on the book. The Titans turn their attention to rescuing Djinn from her evil brother Elias, the first genie who has taken control of all his siblings to attack Heaven. Robin has a plan to get into Purgatory thru a backdoor in Hell, but the Titans all have to die for the plan to work. They clinically kill themselves with Jakeem Thunderbolt watching over their bodies to resuscitate them. They find Djinn and stop Elias and Djinn decides now that she’s actually free for the first time, she needs to discover herself and leaves the team, pointing out that Robin’s plan to imprison and/or mindwipe villains is not what heroes do. One by one the rest of the team ditch Damian as well.

42-44, Annual 2. Robbie Thompson took over. Someone is hunting down and killing all the villains the Titans had captured. Robin has the team following clues to solve who’s doing it, and it ends up being Robin. Finally, in the Annual, Batman confronts Robin and shuts the Teen Titans down, but just then Deathstroke shows up to kill them. They team up to defeat him, and don’t allow Robin to kill him. Then Batman and Robin have a fight and Robin tears off his ‘R’ and quits.

45-47. The series limped to a conclusion with the remaining TT looking for Damian and recapturing the last of the escaped villains with the help of Superboy…er..Superman…Jon Kent. Whatever. Then they follow more clues left by Damian which leads them to Nightwing, who offers them to join the actual Titans at Titans Tower.

Just a few more books and this box will be finished. Only two boxes left, and the stuff I skipped. So more like two and a half.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The end of the box.

Teen Titans Academy 1. The newest series. The main Titans start a school for new heroes, with the OG Titans being the teachers and most of the characters from the recent Teen Titans books, like Crush, Bunker, Roundhouse etc being the “upperclassmen” of the school and introducing a bunch of new characters, including a mystery of one of them running around as Red X(which has been retconned as one of Dick’s former secret IDs without ever actually having happened). Too many characters shoved into one comic. I only got the first issue, but it ran for 15 issues.

Terrifics 25. Mr Terrific’s super team with himself, Plastic Man, Phantom Girl, and Metamorpho. This issue was a clever ‘choose your own adventure’ style book where you’d turn to different pages based on choices at the bottom of the page. But I haven’t read any of the other issues, so not invested.

Titans 27. One of those foil covers. The issue right after Roy had died in Heroes in Crisis and Dick had been shot in the head in Batman. So all the other Titans are mopey. There’s also another character in a coma and he dies at the end of the issue.
Titans 36. The final issue of the series. The Titans are fighting someone called Mother Blood and kick her into an alternate dimension. Meh.

Titans 100 Page Giant 1. Two new stories and three reprints. Nothing exceptional. One of the reprints was Teen Titans 50 from the original run from 1977. I was surprised they’d go that far back for material. The style of comics has changed so much since then.

Titans:Burning Rage 1-7. I think this was the original material from the first WalMart 100 Page series. Right off the bat, I was thrown off because Robin was Tim Drake, working with Starfire, Raven, and Beast Boy as the entire team. So like, this is it’s own continuity? Who was the audience here? The first three issues had the TT fighting the Fearsome Five working for H.I.V.E. then the two teams teaming up to defeat HIVE from destroying Earth. The second arc had Steve Dayton’s butler stealing the Mento helmet and turning Hawk & Dove against the Titans as revenge for Dayton being a shitty boss. The final issue had Mongul show up, but the rest of the series was such crap I only skimmed it. Just filler crap from Dan Jurgens.

So that box is done. And I looked thru the next box. It’s Transformers to start. Then A LOT of True Believers issues, which I’m skipping. And a huge run of Venom, which I already read. Then a smattering of W in the back of the box. So it should go by fast.

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

I can't remember if I mentioned that I purchased Alex Ross' FF graphic novel Full Circle or not & I'm too lazy to go back & look. So that's what I purchased.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

jjreason wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:22 am I can't remember if I mentioned that I purchased Alex Ross' FF graphic novel Full Circle or not & I'm too lazy to go back & look. So that's what I purchased.
I wish they’d release some of their newer OGNs in Softcover. I’d buy a few of them. Starlin has put out like ten Thanos OGNs. There’s a Squirrel Girl OGN by Ryan North. And there are quite a few others. But they’re only hardcovers. I want to put them in my comic boxes, not on my shelf.

Diabolical
John Kalodner: John Kalodner

Post by Diabolical »

Tom Foolery wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:30 am
jjreason wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:22 am I can't remember if I mentioned that I purchased Alex Ross' FF graphic novel Full Circle or not & I'm too lazy to go back & look. So that's what I purchased.
I wish they’d release some of their newer OGNs in Softcover. I’d buy a few of them. Starlin has put out like ten Thanos OGNs. There’s a Squirrel Girl OGN by Ryan North. And there are quite a few others. But they’re only hardcovers. I want to put them in my comic boxes, not on my shelf.
I found the Squirrel Girl one for $3.99 at Ollie's a few months back.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

I have the 9 Thanos ones. As you might expect, reading all 9 gets you exactly back to where you started. Nice Alan Davis art though.
"Something inside me....."