G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Re: G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero

Post by anarky »

Sad thing, Snake Eyes is going to fucking bomb HARD, because making a movie based on toys only watchable in theaters when kids aren't vaccinated is brilliant. And also that shit rap song they use in every trailer.

I actually think it looks good based on the last two previews, but fuck if I'm going to go to the theater here in the middle of QAnonville.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

I'll find out in ten minutes if I wasted my money on a ticket.

But, goddammit, it's a movie all about Nate!
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

It's late. I'm tired. I'll just say two things:

1) Go watch this movie. It's probably going to bomb, but it's a damned good film, so long as you're not a complete purist. It's the Joes' Bumblebee; they finally got the feel right, even if the details are different;

2) Úrsula Corberó IS the Baroness deCobray.

Also a third thing: Tom and JJ at least had better catch one great casual name drop from the Marvel era.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Wait, is this out already?
Why did I think it was coming out later this summer?

I’ll try and go see it Monday.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky

Post by anarky »

Tom Foolery wrote:Why did I think it was coming out later this summer?
Because they've done such a shit job promoting it that it's tough not to believe they want it to fail.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

[quote="anarky”]Also a third thing: Tom and JJ at least had better catch one great casual name drop from the Marvel era.[/quote]

Was it Borovia?

I also thought the “Yo Joe” was hilariously non-impressive and unnecessary. Like they had to find a place to shoehorn it in and that was all they could come up with. I busted out laughing.

But I enjoyed the movie. It’s a low bar, but it’s better than the other two movies.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

anarky

Post by anarky »

Indeed it was Borovia.

I saw it again tonight, this time with the family at a drive-in theater. I didn't catch last time the other country Scarlett mentions, but did this time: Nanzhao, the Asian country nuked by Krake's Cobra in IDW (before it jumped all the sharks).

Also the lighting was bad, but I'm pretty sure I caught Larry's cameo and have no clue how I missed it before.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

It didn’t occur to me he’d have a cameo, or I’d have been paying attention. Where was it.

Also, when Scarlett is telling Nate about his dad being a Joe, the way she was talking about him made it seem like they had been teammates and I was like “Bitch, you were 4 years old when he died.”
And I saw the actress playing Scarlett in the third Bill and Ted movie just last week playing Bill S Preston’s daughter, and now I cannot disassociate the two characters.

anarky

Post by anarky »

Yeah, I immediately thought pretty much the same when Scarlett said that. No possible way she knew "Brightsword" (which is an awful codename). I guess she was speaking kn behalf of the whole operation, but it still sounds weird.

I saw several people commenting on Hama's FB page that he had a very noticeable cameo of several seconds, and it was in the rain. I assumed an Arashikage guard. But at the very beginning of the scene where Nate, Tommy, and Akiko go after Zartan Kento (where Nate finds the crate with the Cobra on it), there's an older man walking alone with an umbrella, and he goes up to either a door or phone booth. Like I said, the drive-in lighting was awful, but I'm pretty sure that was him. (Can't easily Google Easter eggs in a movie that's bombing.)

Also it occurred to me that it's a bold move to explicitly say Ubakka Ubassan Sen will be the last clan leader as there are no other members of the bloodline. That would make it really tough to bring in Jinx later.
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

It was ok like Venom ok. Better than Iron Man 3-ish.
"Something inside me....."