The Chronicles of Riddick series

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

The Chronicles of Riddick series

Post by Diabolical »

Vin Diesel Promises Two More Riddick Sequels

Vin DieselFour years after his character Richard B. Riddick last graced the silver screen, and some years after telling reporters that there would be another Riddick film in his future, Vin Diesel told MTV News that he no longer thinks there will one day be a Riddick sequel.

He now thinks there will be two.

“David Twowy right now is writing the scripts. The only question is whether we take a page from the ‘Lord of the Rings’ guys and try to shoot the two chapters at the same time. There are two more in mind,” he said of Riddick, the Furyan warrior first introduced in the 2000 film “Pitch Black.” “‘The Chronicles of Riddick’ was presented as a three part trilogy that would answer ‘Pitch Black’ in the same way that ‘Lord of the Rings’ answered ‘The Hobbit.’”

Those are lofty goals indeed for a movie that was very poorly received when it opened in 2004, and had a mediocre performance at the domestic box-office (where it made just $57 million). Diesel, though, is undaunted, insisting that the long space between sequels has nothing to do with convincing others to get on board, and everything to do with wanting to get it right. (To be fair, “Riddick” performed well overseas, and also spawned a best-selling video game which many considered to be better than the movie.)

“Everyone knows I love the Riddick character and I’m always working on it,” Diesel asserted. “It just takes five years to make another one because David Twohy and I are so precious about it.”

So where will Riddick go next? After taking the throne of the Necromonger King at the end of the last chapter, is there any doubt?

“Sooner or later we all end up in the Underverse,” he said of where we can expect the next chapter to take place, adding in a Riddick-like voice, “Sooner or later.”
Mtv

I really don't Vin Diesel, but I did like Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick, so I'm all for more of this series.
When I saw Pitch Black I expected a bad Sci-fi Channel-type movie (which I initially saw only because the first X-Men trailer was rumored to be attached - it wasn't) and ended up enjoying it quite a bit. They used some old tricks to make up for a small budget (like using darkness to hide the monsters instead of a ton of CG) and made them work.
The Chronicles of Riddick was almost a total 180 from Pitch Black but it was a fun popcorn sci-fi flick that had a well thought out universe.
Dark Fury, the animated DVD that connected the two movies was hit-and-miss.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: The Chronicles of Riddick series

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I never saw Riddick, but I liked Pitch Black.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

i was entertained by both of them, but not inspired to own them to watch over and over again or anything. perhaps i should invest in one or the both as a 'work from home movie'.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

vynsane wrote:i was entertained by both of them, but not inspired to own them to watch over and over again or anything. perhaps i should invest in one or the both as a 'work from home movie'.
The "Riddick Trilogy" of Pitch Black, Dark Fury, and Chronicles goes on sale all the time for $10.
In fact I think Target has it on sale this week.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Just saw a commercial for the new film. I didn't even realize they had bothered with a sequel. And by that, I mean another sequel.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Riddick has its own Topic, but the Fast & Furious movies do not?

I’m hijacking this thread and it’s now the F/F Topic where anarky can post his thoughts on each absurd film as he watches them.

Oh, and I rewatched the 4th one today, just because they were mentioned in the other thread.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I'd still watch another Riddick movie.