So, What comics did you buy this week?

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: So, What comics did you buy this week?

Post by Tom Foolery »

DC books didn’t show up again this week. Also missed 2 of the 5 Ross variants. Got Cyclops, Nightcrawler, and Blackbolt. Didn’t get Daredevil or Spider-Woman.
And I couldn’t pass up the Artgerm variant of FF, so even though I got two copies of FF 25, both the variants, I didn’t get the main cover which has a sweet Mark Brooks cover. And I really like Mark Brooks covers. Hopefully I’ll find a cheap one down the road.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

Shit, I missed that Artgerm FF #25.
My comic guy usually holds the Artgerm variants for me.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

It was Dr Doom so that might’ve been why you missed it. Usually Lau puts women on his covers.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I don't even recall seeing it on the racks.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

War of the Realms! I will try to avoid spoilers for JJ’s sake.

War of the Realms 1-6. The main story. Malekith and his allies prepare to invade the last undefeated Realm; Midgard. Loki bamboozles Thor and strands him in Jotunheim fighting an endless battle with legions of frost giants and no way to return home because the Bifrost was destroyed. With Thor off the board, Earth’s heroes are left to defend NYC, but a dangerous spell cast by Dr Strange trying to evacuate all the civilians accidentally removes all the heroes as well, leaving only the Valkyries to defend New York. They lose. Then the heroes split into three teams, with three objectives. 1. Rescue Thor from Jotunheim. 2. Destroy Malekith’s black Bifrost bridge to stop more enemies from arriving. 3. Target Malekith and cut the head off the snake. One of those is accomplished. There’s a lot of jumping around as side stories from all the tie-in series are touched upon with battles raging all over Earth. Eventually, Malekith grabs Odin and Freyja hostage in a magic bubble that only Thor is allowed to pass thru. And if you’ve been reading Jason Aaron’s Thor run for the past seven years, you’ll understand how Thor recruits a “team” to help him enter the bubble, defeat Malekith and end the War of the Realms. A smashing finale to Aaron’s run on Thor.

And now the tie-ins.

WotR:Giant-Man 1-3 The four ‘Giant-Men’ currently being Giant in the Marvel U (Ant-Man, Giant-Man, Atlas, and Black Goliath) team up on a (Suicide) mission to infiltrate Miami, currently frozen as the new Frost Giant realm on Earth, to find Ymir and destroy him so he’ll stop making more purebred Ice giants. Ant-Man is also looking for his missing daughter who lost contact during the invasion. Pretty blah extraneous series.

WotR:Journey into Mystery 1-5. Written by “The McElroys”(who I had to look up, it’s like five or seven or thirteen brothers and their dad and their uncle or some shit who are podcasters or something). Freyja tasks the recently alive again Balder with protecting her and Odin’s newborn Goddess daughter Laussa from nefarious kidnapping plots or whatever. Balder recruits and eclectic team of heroes, Kate Bishop, Miles, Wonder Man, Deathlockette, etc to go on a wacky road trip adventure in an armored RV while Ares, the God of War chases them thru a ghost town full old Western Heroes’ ghosts and a henchman convention in Las Vegas. It was quite a bit of fun, with lots of witty banter, infighting, and Easter egg references for hardcore Marvel readers. Good stuff.

WotR:New Agents of Atlas 1-4. Jimmy Woo recruits a bunch of Asian Heroes(because Greg Pak is writing it) Amadeus Cho Hulk, Silk, Shang-Chi, etc as well as a bunch of new heroes. I had never heard of them, and looked it up. It’s because these issues were their first appearances and they’re going for $20 or more. But anyway, they’re defending the Pacific Rim against Surtur’s daughter who is trying to melt the ice caps or something.

WotR: Spider-Man and the League of Realms 1-3. Thor taps Spider-Man to lead his “super” team made up of citizens from all the Nine Realms fighting the Angels of Heven who are setting up shop on the continent of Africa. It was alright.

Next up, more tie-ins...

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

WotR:The Punisher 1-3. Frank helps a hospital evacuate its patients thru the Lincoln Tunnel by recruiting a prison transport full of convicts to fight off the dark armies in the tunnel. Solid work from Gerry Duggan.

WotR:War Scrolls 1-3. An anthology series of short stories of various heroes fighting the invasion. The main story arc is Daredevil, who has replaced Heimdall as the “all-seeing” defender of the Bifrost fighting a double-crossing Kingpin and Malekith.

WotR:X-Men 1-3. Wow. This takes place when most of the X-Men were in the Age of X-Man alt reality and Cyclops and Logan had banded together the “Last X-Men” team. During a battle with Nanny and the Orphan Maker, Dani Moonstar gets a “call” to come help the Valkyries, but she arrives too late. The rest of the X-Men follow her and they set up a last stand fortress in the heart of New York City, defending citizens against the invading hordes.

WotR Strikeforce:Dark Elf Realm oneshot. The expanded story of Freyja recruiting Punisher, Blade, Ghost Rider, and She-Hulk to help her go destroy the Black Bifrost.

WotR Strikeforce:Land of Giants oneshot. Captain America recruits Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Wolverine and Spidey to go rescue Thor. There’s images of Spidey talking to a horse and everyone else looking at him like he’s a weirdo floating around the internet. That’s from this issue.

WotR Strikeforce:War Avengers oneshot. Captain Marvel recruits Deadpool, Winter Soldier, Black Widow, Weapon H, Venom, and Captain Britain to go after Malekith. Unfortunately, Malekith made a deal with Knull, the symbiote god, and he turns Venom to his side.

War of the Realms Omega oneshot. The fallout of the event. Basically an anthology setting up three “ongoings” spinning out of the Event(all of which have since already ended); Punisher Kill Krew, Loki, and JaneFoster:Valkyrie.

Lastly the remainder of the ongoing Thor series 13-16. 13 and 14 were tie-ins to WotR and the final 2 issues were Aaron finishing up his run on the book, tying up loose plot ends and what not, such as Thor being the new Allfather. But not the Finale of his Thor run...which I will get to next time.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I skipped over your breakdowns, I'll come back & read them later once I get through it. All I've got are the Thor issues & the main series, no tie-ins for me.

Today I purchased 4 new books - X-Men 13, Exaclibur 13 (regular & Nightcrawler Ross variant) as well as Giant Size Storm which also showed up as the Ross variant! I was pretty happy. Haven't read them yet. The white covers are a bit of bitch - I noticed the first copy of the Nightcrawler book I was carrying around had about a 1" tear in the cover I couldn't even see when looking at it! Only when it partially flopped open did it become noticeable. Crisis averted.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The last of the Thor books!

King Thor 1-4. Jason Aaron ended his Thor run with a tale of the elder Thor at the end of the universe fighting his brother Loki, who’s been possessed by the evil necro-whatever black stuff and his entire run comes full circle when Gorr the God Butcher shows back up. Eventually the Odinsons defeat Gorr, Loki sacrifices himself to restart the Sun and Thor sacrifices himself to restart the Universe. A solid end to Aaron’s run.

The Worthy Thor oneshot. When CB Cebulski took over as EiC, he was trying different things to celebrate 80 years of Marvel. One of them was to invite previous writer/artist teams back to work on their old series. This oneshot has new stories by Simonson, Defalco and Frenz, and a Sif story from Kathryn Immonen. The stories are all meh, but the concept was a good one.

Thor 1-8. The current series from Donny Cates. The new Allfather King Thor is just beginning his reign in Asgard, when a shitkicked Galactus crashes into the city begging for help from the Black Winter, a star plague that destroyed the previous universe Galactus was from. Thor becomes G’s new Herald and they go confront the Black Winter, who seems to be the previous universe’s Galactus, but like an evil shadow version of Thor, and Galan Taa was HIS herald. In the end Thor straight up kills Galactus and uses his power cosmic as a booby trap to “kill” the Black Winter. Holy shit!
Issue 7 and 8 deal with the fact Mjolnir is getting heavier for Thor, but easier to pick up for everyone else. A car mechanic in Oklahoma briefly wields the hammer.
And now I’m caught up on Thor.
Next up...I’m not sure.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Here’s the second wave of Timeless Variants
Attachments
581080DD-3DBA-47B9-B9A3-C28920DCFC69.jpeg
581080DD-3DBA-47B9-B9A3-C28920DCFC69.jpeg (3.24 MiB) Viewed 1516 times

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Dipped into a random box and started the current Captain America series. Ta-Nahesi Coates is writing the new series with a different artists on each arc. After Secret Empire ended and Nick Spencer left the book and Mark Waid came in and kind of glossed over the fact “Cap” had become a facist dictator and the entire country was like ‘oh it wasn’t him?lol’. This book does NOT ignore that premise and the fallout of it is the core narrative of this new series. America does NOT trust Captain America anymore and Steve is trying to regain and re-earn that trust.

1-6. Leinil Yu was the artist on the first arc. SHIELD has been disbanded after Secret Empire. Thunderbolt Ross has been put in charge of America’s new espionage response and he’s recruited Sharon Carter, but is reluctant to get Cap involved because of the optics of the SE. Cap struggles to remain a force for good while weathering this political storm. Meanwhile, a new cabal of villains led by Selene and Alexa Lukin(Aleksander Lukin’s widow) is filling the power vacuum left by Hydra and the uncertainty of The US’s resolve. After Sharon gets sent into an ambush, Cap suspects Ross of also being part of the Power Elite, until Ross ends up murdered and Steve Rogers is the prime suspect.

7-12. Adam Kubert did art for the second arc. Wanted for Thunderbolt Ross’ murder, Cap turns himself in and gets put in a private prison run by Baron VonStrucker. As the Power Elite makes moves to solidify their positions of power in the US govt, including resurrecting Aleksander Lukin(and his hitchhiker) a team of female operatives known as the Daughters of Liberty(an A-list squad of Marvel Heroines like Sue Storm, Misty Knight, Echo, Mockingbird, White Tiger, etc all led by the mysterious Dryad) plans a prison break to free Steve from the prison.

13-18. Cap is now a fugitive from justice trying to stay ahead of the authorities and the Power Elite. Meanwhile a bunch of NYC cops are assassinated and a new Scourge is the culprit. Eventually, Cap tracks him down, but Scourge commits suicide before getting captured.

19-24. The most recent arc. When Selene ambushed Sharon Carter in the first arc, she took part or her “soul” to power some mystic jewelry thingie that let them resurrect Lukin. The Daughters aid Cap, Bucky, and Falcon to retrieve the trinket from Selene and use it to restore Sharon to her rightful age(she had been “old” since Rick Remender’s run when she was trapped in Dimension z for decades). Also, Thunderbolt Ross is revealed to be alive in Madripoor, working undercover to expose the Power Elite. And the secret identity of the Daughters’ leader The Dryad is a young Peggy Carter. They gloss over how she’s not dead and not in her 100’s. And finally, Aleksander Lukin is having more and more Red Skull-ish episodes as his subconscious comes to the front of Lukin’s personality. All leading to next month’s oversized 25th issue.

Also a couple one shots.
Cap Annual 1. Is just a flashback to WWII story where Cap and Bucky help some German Nationals escape to America. Meh.

Cap and the Invaders oneshot. One of those 80th Anniversary issues where old creative teams came back to tell new stories. This one was by Roy Thomas and Jerry Ordway. Barely days on the job as Cap, Rogers gets assigned to protective detail when FDR goes to visit the Duke of Windsor in the Bahamas and Baron Zemo attacks. Cap, The Human Torch, and Namor all help to protect the President and defeat the Nazis, without actually teaming up with each other. So it’s the first pre-Invaders story. Clever premise. Fun throwback story from some veteran creators. Good stuff.

Captain America:The End oneshot. Written and drawn by Erik Larsen! The world is in chaos as a virus that turns everyone in the world into a Red Skull. Cap fights endless hordes and humanity is down to a handful of survivors until they discover Cap’s blood is the “cure” to the virus. So he retires and becomes a permanent blood donor to return civilization to normal. Cheesy stuff from Larsen, but it was a fun read.

Might stick in this box for a bit, so Captain Marvel, Catwoman, Champions, and Daredevil, plus more.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Captain Marvel. When Marvel “graduated” Carol Danvers to the title of Captain Marvel, they went all in on having a strong female lead character in an ongoing(presumably to “compete” with Wonder Woman in sales or stature or whatever the two publishes use to measure dicks). The fans didn’t exactly follow suit. Yes, there’s a diehard core fan base:The Carol Corps, but this is the fourth? Fifth? ongoing CM has had in the last eight years. However, they are getting better. I’m enjoying writer Kelly Thompson’s banter between Carol and her defacto super team, as her boyfriend Rhodey, her BFF Spider-Woman, and her new protege Hazmat have become permanent guest stars in every issue.

Life of Captain Marvel 1-5. Margaret Stohl finished up the previous CM run with a mini-series instead of just continuing with the Legacy numbering of the last series. But I believe these five issues were retconned into the legacy numbering so they are in fact issues 130-134. After a traumatic incident whilst on a Avengers mission, Carol takes a break from heroing to go spend time with her mother and brother in Maine. Her brother gets in a car wreck and she spends several months caring for him and reconnecting with childhood friends in the small town she grew up. Upon which she discovers a “mystery” that maybe her dad was having an affair. She confronts her mom about it, but then this Kree bitch shows up to kill the traitor living there, and Carol assumes it’s her. But nope! Plot twist. It’s her mom! Carol is officially retconned into being half-Kree. They defeat the villain, but her mom dies while doing it. Armed with this new information that her powers are hers by birth, and not from Mar-Vell and the psyche-magnetron(which only “unlocked” her latent Kree superpowers) she returns to being a super hero with a new resolve.

CM:Braver and Mightier oneshot. A stand alone oneshot released around the time the movie came out. Kinda distills down the idea of Carol as a badass former military pilot turned badass alien asskicker as she fights off an alien invasion of Earth singlehandedly and then sits down to an interview with some high school kids. Decent stuff.

The newest series. 1-5. Freshly back to heroing, CM gets trapped in a pocket dimension on Roosevelt Island in NYC with a bunch of other heroes. What’s hours and days in the real world in weeks and months in the bubble, as Carol and the rest fight some obscure X-Men villain Makhismo(??) to break back out into the real world. Along the way, she kinda settled things with Rogue in a satisfying way.
6-7. War of the Realms tie-in. While fighting the Enchantress, Carol and Dr Strange get body-swapped thanks to some magical hijinks and have to learn each other’s powers to defeat her.
8-11. Everything in Carol’s systematically turns to shit all at once. She is publicly outed as Half-Kree to the world, gets kicked out of the military for it, and her powers start going on the fritz. It’s all a plot to discredit her by a new supervillain posing as a new hero named Star who is siphoning Carol’s powers with some stolen Kree tech. Eventually Carol defeats her and restored her good standing with the world. Star would get a spin-off mini series.
12-16. Carol breaks bad. Or at least appears to. The Inhuman villain Vox forces CM to kill all the Avengers in the next 48 hours or he’ll start blowing up a bunch of civilians. So Carol has to defeat all her fellow avengers, them shunt them into a pocket universe amd explain to them her plan of giving Vox LMD versions of them, until she can figure out to stop the bombs and defeat the bad guy. She does.
17 was a stand alone issue. Classic Marvel poker game issue. But Ms Marvel gets invited and she can’t gamble or drink, so the heroes go do an “Escape Room” instead. But it’s an escape room run by a wannabe supervillain named The Nexus. Hilarity ensues. Guest starring Wolverine, Photon, and other assorted usuals at the card table(but not Grimm sadly).
18-21 Empyre tie-in. CM is the new Accuser in the Hulkling’s new Kree-Skrull empire. She discovers she has a half-sister bred in a vat using her mother’s DNA and by the end of the arc, Lari-Ell is given the hammer and becomes the new Accuser.
Captain Marvel:The End oneshot. Carol returns to Earth in the year 2052 after two devastating wars with Aliens and a host of other natural calamities happened while she was gone. The reunites with a handful of survivors, most of which of future alt-universe children current marvel heroes, or the adult version of children in the current U, like Spider-Woman’s baby and Dani Cage, etc. In the end, Carol sacrifices herself by flying into the dying sun to reignite it. But this The End story is kind of a cheat because...

22-23. The current arc(23 just came out last week) has the current CM somehow get pushed into this 2052 future to help all the heroes fight Ove, who looks to be a descendant of Namor and his forces of New Atlantis.

Anyway, I’m enjoying this CM series more than the previous ones. And Thompson made an impact on me as a decent writer, so I’ll keep my eyes open for other stuff she’s done.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Started the Absolute Carnage Event. There was a 5-issue main series and about 20 tie-in issues of minis and oneshots. After about page 10, I realized there was a lot of backstory from the ongoing Venom series and I was unequipped to follow what was going on, so I see it aside and instead dove into...

Catwoman. The current ongoing spun out of issue 50 of Tom King’s Batman run. The infamous (non)Wedding issue.
After Bruce and Selina split in that issue, she travelled across the country to the fictional city of Villa Hermosa(DCs Los Angeles) to take her catatonic sister Maggie out of an asylum there to take care of her. Along the way, she runs afoul of the City’s crimelord, a disfigured woman whose husband is a politician. Writer Joelle Jones told a long form story for the first 21 issues involving a Lazarus Pit and the bad guy turning people into zombies with Lazarus water/drug concoction. Eventually CatWoman defeats the woman and her zombie son eats her before CW heads back to Gotham. 22-23 was a 2-part fill in where CW goes to South America to steal a criminal database hard drive compiled by Batman and the Justice League.
25 was the Joker War tie-in where Selina enlists the Penguin and Riddler to steal Bruce’s fortune back from the Joker, and then double crosses both of them and gives the money to Lucius Fox.
The current storyline has Selina taking up Mama Fortuna’s role as the leader of the pickpockets in AlleyTown and carving out her share of Gotham’s underworld.
There was an Annual set in Villa Hermosa where Selina took a bunch of thieves under her wing, but it goes south when a bunch of them are killed during a botched burglary.
Finally there was an 80-page giant with a bunch of stories from writers and artists from all of CWs different eras, pith pin up pages and stuff.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I bought the first 2 or 3 issues of Catwoman and then nothing until the 80 page giant (because Tom King was named as a contributor). Still no Batman & Catwoman limited series yet?
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Batman/Catwoman is starting early next year. I think they’ve delayed it to give the artist enough time to stay ahead. But, IMO, whenever they do that, the artist still gets behind and there’s gaps in the solicits and it becomes one of those things that takes three times as long to come out and becomes irrelevant.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Isn't it already the better part of a year late as it is? I mean Covid & everything.... but still. Jesus.