What have you watched lately?

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: What have you watched lately?

Post by Diabolical »

According to fans of the book, they agree.
Many pointless changes were made, apparently.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I'm watching Battlestar Galactica (2004). Getting close to the end of season 2. Some silly business, but as my friend says it's all about hot chicks & half decent sci fi... so how bad can it get? It passes the time.
"Something inside me....."
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

I think Kenneth Branagh no longer belongs in the "Trusted Director" column.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

I don't have access to any tv stations, so I had my wife send me a bunch of DVDs. Last night I watched Blues Brothers. The line where the police using excessive force to apprehend the Blues Brothers kind of has a new meaning now.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Was that her way of telling you she wants a divorce?
*zing*
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Had a mini Ian Holm movie marathon with The 5th Element and Time Bandits. Also, I watched the behind the scenes features on the Stripes and Animal House dvds.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Patriot’s Day. The Mark Wahlberg movie about the Boston Marathon Bombing. Pretty straightforward telling of the story from both the bombers and police perspectives. Wahlberg’s character is a made up amalgam of several people so he could be everywhere, but he wasn’t played up as some supercop that took them down singlehandedly. Better than I thought it would be.

21 Bridges. The Russo Bros and Chadwick Boseman team up for a typical cop drama. Dirty Cops is such a cliche, it’s not even a difficult “plot twist” to discern anymore. It was mediocre.

Doctor Sleep. The sequel to The Shining. Meh.

Yesterday. Guy wakes up after getting hit by a bus and is the only person in the world who remembers the Beatles. So he starts performing their music as his own. Had higher hopes for it. The premise sounds fantastic. The film was okay.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. This almost didn’t feel like a Tarantino film, but it was fantastic. Probably my favorite out of his last 4-5 films(if you count Grindhouse). Knowing a bit of history about the Manson Murders, I was NOT expecting that ending.

Also, my son “discovered” Quentin Tarantino recently when he watched Pulp Fiction, so we did a QT marathon last weekend; Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown, True Romance, both Kill Bills, and Inglourious Basterds. He also watched Django and Hateful Eight while I was at work.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

If I watched Dogs with Tom I would struggle not cracking up during the diner scene & outing myself for being the disgusting cretin I actually am.

I watched Hamilton with the Mrs. Neither one of us had much of an idea as to what we were getting into. We both liked it.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Here are a few I've watched recently:

Top Secret - This movie is kind of underrated. Also, I can't think of many other Val Kilmer comedies.

Adventures of Baron Munchausen - According to the "Cheap DVD buy" thread, I bought this in 2008. I don't remember watching it. But, I really liked it.

UHF - This is one of those movies that have actors I've seen before, but couldn't tell you where. Other than UHF and Seinfeld, I can't think of another movie or tv show I've seen Michael Richards in. Victoria Jackson was kind of hot back in the day. To no one's supplies, there are a bunch of jokes in this movie that might not be quite as acceptable today. Something I didn't know was that Trinidad Silve, who played Raul, was killed in an auto accident before they finished filming and the movie had to be rewritten.

Heavy Metal - After watching the movie, I checked out the bonus features. There was a "making of" where they overlaid the animation over the live action model they used. It was pretty dead on, except the animated character had a couple body parts that were significantly larger than the model's.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Batman (1966) - Didn't know that Julie Newmar was replaced as Catwoman for the movie because she was busy filming something else.

Battle Beyond the Stars - A space version of Seven Samurai due to the popularity of Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica.

Cannonball Run - It had been a really long time since I've seen this, so it was practically like watching it for the first time.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Ran wrote:Here are a few I've watched recently:

Top Secret - This movie is kind of underrated. Also, I can't think of many other Val Kilmer comedies.
My God that is weird, I was JUST thinking about Top Secret & how funny it was.... and wondering how we had never had a discussion about it here at Vynnie's.

"Why do we always have to be in such a bloody hurry all the time?" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not too many beastiality jokes getting past the producers these days.
Ran

Post by Ran »

I've been meaning to watch it for a few months. The marketing guy my office one day randomly asked me if I ever heard of Top Secret. He is one of the few people in my office that are in their mid-late 40s. Almost everyone else is either over 50 or under 35. I watched Airplane! a few weeks ago, and Top Secret is just as good.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

That movie should've gotten some sort of award for the backwards scene. It's amazing.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

The Onion Movie. Pretty funny overall. I like how they had Georgia adding the swastika and middle finger to their state flag. It was cool how they tied all of the random sketches together.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Finally finished Shutter Island after about 11 tries. Not bad & I didn't call the twist so I guess they got me. Considering Umbrella Academy next but much like the reading, I struggle with what to watch next.