Tips on building a PC?

computers are cool - they are the reason you are here right now! Hopefully, JJReason can build one and prove once and for all, Canadians are somewhat intelligent.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Tips on building a PC?

Post by Diabolical »

I've heard numerous times that building your own PC can be fairly easy, even for the average dumbass like myself.
With my computer dying a very slow death its something I've been considering looking into.
Anyone ever done this? Any good websites and/or books?
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Tips on building a PC?

Post by Slicker »

I actually built my PC when I was in Virginia and gave it to the parents. I think I spent about $800 and it was rather good (bear in mind that $200 of that was for the flatscreen monitor). I went to Newegg.com and they had everything I needed. I got the case, powersupply, motherboard, video card, RAM, and CPU. I'm sure I'm missing something in there though. It was literally like a high tech LEGO set putting it together. Everything has it's own instructions and by looking at all of them you can see where everything goes. Seeing as I'm coming back soon if you get the things you need I can come over and see what I can do to help.
Sweet berry wine!
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

yeah, i'm about to build my 7th system, have all the parts, just need the time to get it together. the bare essentials you will need are:
  • enclosure (case)
  • power supply (if it doesn't come with the case)
  • motherboard (you won't necessarily need a video card if it has onboard video. not going to be a screamer, but even onboard video is capable of playing video these days)
  • video card (if the mobo you choose doesn't have onboard video or if you want it for better gaming)
  • processor (make sure you buy a compatible motherboard. also, most come with a heatsink/fan combo, but be careful to make sure. buy a separate, better heatsink/fan if you aren't sure - it will also be quieter)
  • hard drive(s) (i wouldn't go lower than 160GB, the reduction to 80GB doesn't make sense for saving $4. you can go as high as 1TB (1000GB) if you've got the money, which is freakin' insane)
  • RAM (make sure it's compatible with the motherboard and processor - most likely will be DDR or DDR2, but look at the cycle frequency that the motherboard/proc supports, which usually is displayed in the form of "DDR2 PC26400/800mhz)
on top of that, of course, is software - starting with the operating system. i'm actually pretty impressed with Win7, so would recommend it. look for the system requirements and build your computer to those specs or higher.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Thanks guys.
Doesn't sound too hard.

Thanks for the help offer Slick, but I won't be building one that soon (because this shit costs money). I was just wondering what I'd be getting myself into if I decided to do try.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Slicker
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Slicker »

Diabolical wrote:Thanks guys.
Doesn't sound too hard.

Thanks for the help offer Slick, but I won't be building one that soon (because this shit costs money). I was just wondering what I'd be getting myself into if I decided to do try.
No worries. They really are simple to get together. Just smell what Vyn was cooking and you'll do fine. They're almost idiot proof to put together.
Sweet berry wine!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

7 years later I'm here to tell that you I just built a PC for Thomas, his first & my second. If I can do it - and I can't build anything - you can certainly do it. It's nowhere near as hard as lego. There are so few pieces it's almost absurd:

- Case
- Power supply (many times comes with case)
- Motherboard (affixes into the case with small screws, has specially designed slots that will only fit one type of connector - PCU slot for PCU, video card slot for video car, RAM slots for RAM, etc)
- Processor
- Hard Drive(s)
- RAM (1 or 2 pieces, usually 2 the same)
- Operating system software (usually a CD/DVD or USB stick with windows on it - you can make one of these using your existing copy of windows, you just won't be able to verify it in the new machine and microsoft doesn't seem to care right now)

And that will do it. Seriously - that can make a computer right there. The only tool needed is a phillips (star) screwdriver, preferably one that will pick up a small screw via magnetization if you happen to drop one into the case while building. Too easy. I had a worse time getting the windows CD written properly so that the machine would load it (and I can easily tell you how to do that when the time comes).
"Something inside me....."
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Thinking of starting to buy components for a new pc, spreading them out over a few paycheques to ease the burden & avoid putting it on credit. Any recommendations for which make of processor is the better choice these days?
Ran

Post by Ran »

On Monday I can try to ask the IT guy at work for some info. He said he would help me build one. I've been putting it off, but I think I'm going to do it when I get back from Alaska.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Awesome! It's a good feeling to be able to say you've done it.
Ran

Post by Ran »

This should answer the processor question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD8Yk7J ... e=youtu.be

He said he is getting ready to build a new computer for his son and he plans on doing it for under $600.

The new AMD processor is just as powerful as Intel's I7 but it only costs $150 instead of $300+. Apparently AMD is the way to go right now.

Here is the website for the parts: pcpartpicker.com
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Thanks!