Transformers!

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Transformers!

Post by Diabolical »

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the recent announcement that the film series is getting rebooted soon.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

It could.

A lot of people are saying Hasbro isn't happy with IDW's drop in sales last year (some sources claiming a 90% drop) as a result of Sitterson being a fuckstick and apparently writing G.I. Joe in a manner geared toward pissing people off, and are pulling their licenses.

It's just, really, when you've moved on past the war and done several years of stories based entirely on the personalities of the characters, going back to the war is such a huge step back. :(
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Just an observation here. Despite everyone claiming otherwise, the evidence that Hasbro dropped the axe is clear.

The current cross-branded line is The Prime Wars Trilogy.

First phase was Combiner Wars. IDW dropped everything to have a relatively mediocre crossover by that name, even going so far as to kill the fascinating subplot about "Prowlstator" in favor of Hasbro's Devastator and Optimus Maximus.

Next was Titans Return. The Titan Masters were forced in for a couple of issues, never mind how silly that seemed in context. Characters came to prominence who were unimportant or nonexistent because they had toys. We even got a crazy way to get Fort Max in Titan size and a literal "return" of dead Titans.

Next is Power of the Primes. Various long-vanished Primes returned. The Dinobots came back to the forefront. Likely because Unicron is an obvious (though unnamed) player in the toyline, we get a tease about him.

And, then, instead of the third chapter, we get a series ending called Unicron.

That doesn't sound like IDW. More like Hasbro thinking they know better how to tell a story.

God help us all.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

IDW has the rights to Gobots, which makes sense since Hasbro owns them.

Before you get excited, the book will be by Scioli.

Why the fuck does this guy get work? Does he have a video of John Barber pissing on Donald Trump? Because my 7-year-old could do better if I got him drunk and he drew everything in his own feces.

Rob Liefeld is happy Scioli exists.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I’m finishing up the IDW TF books that I’ve been not reading for the last year and a half. It’s been so long since I read the previous issues, and the fact that there are so many loose plot threads they are tying up, not to mention a plethora of “crossover” stuff since they decide to merge all the Hasbro properties into a “Hasbroverse”, I’m seriously having to look shit up, Game of Thrones style, to figure out which characters have been where and done what.
Like Centurion. He was an alt-Universe “Bumblebee” character from the Hearts of Steel miniseries from 2006 that they retconned into the main continuity and gave him a human brain and renamed Centurion who was in the Revolutionaries series(which I never got) and now he’s running around in the Optimus Prime book like I should know who the fuck this guy is.
Also, do I now have to go back and track down all the ROM and M.A.S.K. and Micronauts bullshit from the past ten years to understand how the end of Transformers works?
It also doesn’t help that nobody is married to their previous allegiances. Autobot? Decepticon? Doesn’t matter anymore. And since each issue is drawn by different artists, each with their own design for particular characters, all you have to go by is a name for a bunch of robots that all pretty much look the same. Sure, the main guys, Optimus, Starscream, etc are recognizable. But who the fuck is Starlight? Or any of these all female Combiner bots?

I’m gonna read Optimus right up until the Unicron event, then go back and read Lost Light and a bunch of the minis, like TF vs ROM, TF vs Visonaries, etc, then come back for the grand finale in OP, LL, and Unicron.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky

Post by anarky »

Revolutionaries was seriously one of IDW's best books.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

As near as I can tell, apart from TF and GIJoe, this was the rest of the Hasbroverse catalog

Rom 1-14, Annual, Tales of Solstar Order oneshot
Micronauts 1-11, Annual
MASK 1-10, Annual
Micronauts:Karza mini 1-4
Rom/Micronauts 1-5
Revolutionaries 1-8
and oneshots for Revolution and First Strike for each of them.

Did I miss anything? I have the Action Man miniseries.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

As I’m winding down the IDW books, I’m checking the TF wiki website a bit, looking up characters for continuity, etc.
That place is fucking hilarious. There’s a bit of tongue in cheek in almost every entry. Referring to Duocons Flywheels and Battletrap as “the Cybertronian equivalent of Wuzzles” had me giggling.

And Scrounge’s bio brings up his special arm “there is no other like it” in just about every paragraph. I’m fuckin’ dying. :lol:

anarky

Post by anarky »

Tom, I hope you're sitting down if you didn't already know about this forthcoming figure announced at SDCC.

https://i.redd.it/6c785dqf5sa31.jpg
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Who is that? I feel like I should know who that is, but I can’t seem to recall anything about him at all...

anarky

Post by anarky »

No idea. I don't even remember posting it. Must've been a Froidian slip of some sort.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Seriously, I was looking for him on EE, and got this result, which is glorious in how appropriate it is.
Attachments
20190816_060100.jpg
20190816_060100.jpg (3.2 MiB) Viewed 2455 times
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Omg I’m fucking dying. That is hilarious.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I was curious as to how many issues IDW produced in their 13 year Transformers run, so I decided to look it up. Couldn’t find an exact number, so I’m doing the math here.

Infiltration 1-6, plus 0. It all started in 2005 with Furman’s first mini. (Wiki has this listed as 0-7, which is 8 issues, But CBDB only has 6 listed 7
Evolutions:Hearts of Steel 1-4. This was more of an ‘Elseworlds’ type story, but they eventually retconned parts of it into the main continuity. I’m leaving it off for now, but with an asterisk.
Stormbringer 1-4. 11
Spotlight. This was a series of oneshots that came out in groups of 5-6 issues at a time between 2006 and 2013. It’s easier to just put them all here together as a single “series”. Wave 1; Shockwave, Nightbeat, Hot Rod, Sixshot, Ultra Magnus. Wave 2; Soundwave, Kup, Galvatron, Optimus, Ramjet. Wave 3; Blaster, Arcee, Mirage, Grimlock, Wheelie. Wave 4(aka Revelation);Cyclonus, Hardhead, DoubleDealer, Sideswipe. And also Blurr. Wave 5; Jazz, Drift, Cliffjumper, Metroplex, Prowl, Orion Pax. Wave 6; Thundercracker, Megatron, Bumblebee, Trailcutter, Hoist. 31 in all. 42
Escalation 1-6. The sequel to Infiltration. 48
Megatron:Origin 1-4. 52
Devastation 1-6. The conclusion of Furman’s initial “trilogy”. 58
All Hail Megatron 1-16. Originally a 12 issue series, extended to 16. 74
Maximum Dinobots 1-5. 79
Transformers 1-31. The first official ongoing. 110
Bumblebee 1-4. 114
Last Stand of the Wreckers 1-5. 119
Ironhide 1-4. 123
Drift 1-4. 127
Infestation 1-2. Part of a line wide IDW event that ‘crossed over’ all their licensed properties. 129
Heart of Darkness 1-4. The first “event”. The end of The War. 133
Death of Optimus Prime oneshot. 134
Continuum. Handbook/History style oneshot bringing readers up to speed on everything published so far. 135
More Than Meets The Eye 1-57, plus an Annual. One of two ongoings spinning out of HoD and Death of Optimus. Also, the greatest comic book series ever published. Fight me. 193
Robots In Disguise 1-57, plus an Annual. The other ongoing. Eventually dropped RiD and just became Transformers. 251
Autocracy 1-12. This was a digital first series, that later got published in print as a giant oneshot/TPB. I’m counting it as 1, not 12. 252
Infestation 2 1-2. Another loosely connected line wide event. 254
Monstrosity 1-12. Another digital series... sequel to Autocracy. Later published as a 4 issue series. 258
Windblade 1-4. 262
Punishment 1-5. A digital first series later published as a oneshot. 263
Primacy 1-4. Sequel to Autocracy and Monstrosity. 267
Drift:Empire of Stone 1-4. Drift’s second mini. 271
Windblade vol2 1-7. 278
Combiner Hunters oneshot. 279
Redemption oneshot. Sequel to Punishment. 280
Sins of the Wreckers 1-5. Sequel to Last Stand. 285
Til All Are One 1-14, plus an Annual. Windblade’s “third’ ongoing. 300
Revolution 0-5. The Event that retconned all of Hasbro’s properties into one continuity. 306
Titans Return oneshot. 307
Transformers:Revolution oneshot. Tie-in to the Revolution event. 308
Transformers:Til All Are One:Revolution oneshot. Tie-in to the event. 309
More Than Meets The Eye:Revolution oneshot. Tie-in to the event. 310
Optimus Prime 1-25, plus an Annual. Ongoing that replaced main TF book until the end of the saga. 336
Lost Light 1-25. Ongoing that replaced MTMTE until end of saga. 357
Revolutionaries 1-8. Spinoff of Revolution event. 365
Annual 2017. Oneshot. 366
Salvation oneshot. Sequel to Punishment and Redemption. 367
First Strike 0-6. Second ‘Hasbro’ Event. 374
Rom vs Transformers:Shining Armor 1-5. 379
Optimus Prime:First Strike oneshot. Tie-in to the event. 380
Transformers:First Strike oneshot. Tie-in to the event. 381
Transformers vs Visionaries 1-5. 386
Unicron 0-6. The grand finale. 393
Requiem of the Wreckers oneshot. 394
Historia. Final Handbook/History oneshot that retold the entire story in chronological order. 395

So if you wanted to add the Hearts of Steel back in, you’d get to 399 issues.
Additionally, once the ‘Hasbroverse’ became a thing, there were a few series that were specifically written as part of the continuity. I did NOT add the retconned GIJoe books into the list. The series were.

Action Man 1-4, plus a Revolution oneshot. 5
Micronauts 1-11, plus an Annual, plus a Rev oneshot, plus a First Strike oneshot. 19
Rom 0-14, plus Annual, plus Rev oneshot, plus First Strike oneshot, plus another oneshot called Tales of the Solstar Order. 38
M.A.S.K. 1-10, plus Annual, plus Rev oneshot, plus First Strike oneshot. 51
Micronauts:Wrath of Karza 1-5. 56
Hasbro Heroes Sourcebook 1-3. Handbook style reference guide with everyone in it.59
Rom and the Micronauts 1-5. 64
Scarlett’s Strike Force 1-3, plus Revolution and First Strike oneshot. The only Joe series specifically tied into the larger universe continuity AFTER Revolution. 69(nice.)

Maybe I’ll do a separate list of all the Joe books at some point, but the majority of the GIJoe books(up until Snake-Eyes;Agent of Cobra) were published before the Hasbroverse was a thing and were only clumsily retconned in after the fact, so I ignored them.
IDW also did a bunch of Transformers movie-related mini series, and U.K. reprints, but they weren’t part of the main continuity, so I didn’t list them either.
And lastly Jem and the Holograms had a 26 issue ongoing and three follow up minis, that also weren’t in the main continuity, so they were also left out.

I don’t think I missed anything, but ‘nark will bring it to my attention if I did.

But the final total, barring any mistakes, stands at 468 issues.

anarky

Post by anarky »

More than 399. Hearts of Steel was just good, but the way it was canonized was fucking brilliant. And it is definitely canon.

But you left out the New Avengers crossover. Shitty as it is, it's somehow bizarrely canon because of Spotlight: Ramjet. So those need to be added in.