star wars "saga"

toys are cool. they are fun. you like to play with toys. no, not THOSE kinds of toys. well, okay, those are fun too...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: star wars

Post by Ran »

anarky wrote:Kind of a tangent, but I don't understand the people who hate TLJ so much that they'll go apeshit over Disney Star Wars in general.

TLJ was divisive. Fine. Like it or don't, but Disney's track record so far is otherwise quite solid.

Rebels and Rogue One are the best SW we've gotten since 1980. Solo is great. I didn't like TFA at first, but it's a solid movie that's really grown on me. Resistance started slow but is really kicking it into high gear. Forces of Destiny is mostly inconsequential fluff, but not awful.

A lot of the better aspects of the old EU are being worked in. About 75% of the new comics and novels are good, which is a much more solid percentage than pre-Disney.

Aside from a serious lack of focus on the merchandise (which could be either Disney or Hasbro, there's no telling), it looks to me like we're actually way better off.
I'll agree with that. I liked Rebels and Rogue One. Only saw one episode of Resistance, and I can't really form an opinion yet.

As far as merchandise, it is all over the place. I could have sworn I saw a 3.75" playset for Solo at Target, which seems weird because Hasbro just never seemed to like making playsets. I haven't been following everything that closely lately, but Hasbro really seems to be focusing on the 6" line and just putting out token 3.75" figures.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

jjreason wrote:The days of solid, one player adventuring are over. Not enough money to be made. This isn't just a Star Wars thing, it's a video games thing.
Tell that to Insomniac's Spider-Man for PS4.
9 million copies sold in 5 months to be the best selling PS4 game of all time.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I'm glad it's good & I'm glad the sales were so high - hopefully that helps people continue to want to spend resources creating awesome single player games. They feel like a dying breed.
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

jjreason wrote:I'm glad it's good & I'm glad the sales were so high - hopefully that helps people continue to want to spend resources creating awesome single player games. They feel like a dying breed.
Obviously, there is dlc, but its additional content, not stuff needed to play the regular game.

Spider-man is very much similar to the Batman Arkham series, so yeah, its pretty great.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I haven’t bought many of the SW 6” Black Series because they never have figures I would like to own. Up until now, I had Darth Vader amd K2SO.

But I saw Fett, Bossk, and IG-88 in WM the other day and couldn’t pass.

Half of every case sent to every store should be Stormtroopers. I’d army build the fuck out of those, even at $20 a pop.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

They just keep getting better and better. The X-Wing Luke has a new head sculpt that looks like Mark Hamill.

The Toy Fair reveals of new figures are also incredible, especially Padme (finally). Now to find a life size version of it...

They also have a new 8" deluxe series with a metal skeleton and cloth goods that looks badass. The Vader they displayed almost rivals the Sideshow/Hot Toys/whatever at a fraction of the price (rumored to be around $80).
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Padme looks great. I'm sticking to ESB & OT Imperials, so she's outside my current scope, but it's a very nice figure. EpI Obi Wan & Maul looked cool as well.

Archive Yoda is coming, like the Bounty Hunters did before him. If he's as dark green as he was the first time I'll pass again & hope for an updated version next year during the 40th Ann of ESB celebrations.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Bought my first modern SW figure in quite a while this weekend. It is a 3.75" Black Series Walrus Man. $5 seemed like a good deal. Don't recall ever seeing it in stores.

Also got the Vintage Kenner Power Droid.

Didn't know Toy Fair was happening. Just checked out the pictures. I'd consider getting a few from the Vintage line. Not planning on getting the Retro figures. Can't see spending $50 on that Jabba playset. Are the 3 skiff guards new?

That 8" Vader is pretty cool.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Went to the Dollar store today to pick up a cheap picture frame. They have actual Hasbro SW figures there from Rogue One and TFA.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

The Thrawn and Bodhi waves seem to have been found almost exclusively at 99c Only.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Ran

Post by Ran »

Target had the new vintage styled figures, but they were not in the toy section. They were over in the men's wear section under a Father's Day display.
There was also a new Han in Stormtrooper Disguise on a vintage card.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

So, the new Hyperreal Darth Vader...thoughts?

At $80 its a bit pricey, but its a fraction of the price of a Sideshow figure (and a few inches smaller).
I'm leaning towards picking it up if I have the spare scratch when it comes out.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Pass for me, but only because I can't get sucked down that rabbit hole.

I got archive 6" Yoda & vintage anh r2 mainly because they hadn't released a remade original card back for him.

I wanted to buy Luke on crait as well but the hair is just a mess. Sad, because it should have been a very easy dark brown do.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

WalMart Exclusives - Jabba's Palace set with Ree Yees, and the individual TVC Lando in Disguise. Are these showing up at all down there yet? Have I asked this already? I'm considering getting them from Taiwan as I don't think there is any chance we're going to see them up here. Maybe I should wait until whenever Force Friday is to confirm, but the chances are slim to none.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

They're pretty much considered a myth. I hate WM exclusives.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!