So, What comics did you buy this week?

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: So, What comics did you buy this week?

Post by Tom Foolery »

I got the regular and Jim Lee covers for Batman, and the regular and variant cover for Catwoman also.

For someone who’s “scaling back” I dropped $85 on comics today. What. The Fuck.

Star Wars 50 was semi nostalgic for me because the original Marvel Star Wars issue 50 was one of my very first comics. Before I started ‘collecting’ on a weekly/monthly basis, I had a small stack of 10 or so issues that got read to death. There was a Superman, a Flash, a DC Presents, a couple GIJoes, a couple Transformers, and SW 50. Luke caught the Crimson Plague. I still have that verrrrrry dog-eared, well read issue somewhere.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Batman 51, ASM 802 (aka volume 37 #1).
"Something inside me....."
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Detective 985 (my store still hasn't gotten any 984s yet, so you know how that's making me feel - supposed to be coming next week) and Doomsday Clock 6. I cannot stop buying it. I need help.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Last time I checked in with my reading list was May. I’ve only read 28 books since then, and 10 of them were in the last 48 hours. I finished up Miles Morales’ ongoing Spidey series and caught up on Spidey/Deadpool.

Spider-Man 17-21, 234-240. The end of Bendis’ epic “Ultimate” Spidey series. I can’t recall too much of it since I read it back in May. Miles’ mom finds out he is Spidey and she gets mad and leaves, then comes back and reconciles with Miles and her husband, both of whom were lying to her about it. Miles was in the middle of a gang war with Black Cat and was in over his head. Then later his uncle stole the Iron Spider armor and formed a new Sinister Six with Sandman, Hobgoblin and others. Bendis was really padding out his books at this point.

Spidey/Deadpool. So after Kelly and Mcguiness finished their run on the book with issue 18, there was a 2 parter in 19 and 20 written by the same unfunny guy who wrote that Deadpool:Too Soon mini. It had Slapstick in it.
Then issue 21 and 22 was a 2 parter where Spidey and DP get stuck in Murderworld fighting Arcade. Both of these stories were weak and I stopped reading again for about a month.
Then Robbie Thompson and Chris Bachalo took over the book and it gets progressively better. In the fallout of Spidey losing his corporate empire and DP reverting to badguy-ness after Secret Empire, DP steals a SHIELD helicarrier and starts using it as a base to sell old SHIELD weapons on the black market. He’s hired Kate Waynesboro, Screwball, Hellcow, an LMD of Clay Quartermain, and a couple of cybernetically evolved sharks named Bruce and Deborah, who are addicted to Netflix, to help him.
Spidey has been crashing at his ex gf Mockingbird’s pad and she encourages him to stop his ex-bff Wade rather than moping around her apt eating her food.
Meanwhile, Chameleon has been posing as Deadpool and starring in late nigh infomercials also selling black market arms, so DP wants to stop that shit. The end up going to Tabula Rasa in Montana(google it) where Chameleon steals the original prototype LMD called Master Matrix and uses it to build an army of super powered LMDs he plans on selling to the highest bidder.
There is also an ongoing subplot (actually the issues keep alternating between the present and the future) where Peter and Wade live in a nursing home and are called back into action to stop Matrix in the future and eventually they both time travel back to the present to help their current selves.
For good measure, writer Robbie Thompson throws Silk into the mix(he wrote her ongoing series) and former X-Man/current SHIELD agent Husk as well. Also retcons Peter’s parents into being the SHIELD agent/scientists integral to the origins of the LMD program back in the day.
This arc was the one I binge read over the weekend. Fun stuff.

I think the next stuff in the pile is Zdarsky’s “new” Spidey book(I say new because I haven’t read any of it yet, but it’s been ongoing for well over a year and it got Legacy numbered so it’s on issue 308 or something) and Peter David’s Spidey 2099 series.

FYI I am now 4 1/2 long boxes behind on my reading. :? :( :frus:
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Man oh man, if you keep buying it's going to take some serious reading to get caught up. I guess that's the fun of it - I'm not sure at this point if I will have read every comic I own. We'll see.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

All the Variant FF covers started coming out today. I was very torn about getting them, but I went with the regular covers. Because if I got a couple of them, I’d want all of them and I knew that probably wouldn’t’ve Happened. And I couldn’t justify getting 2 copies of every book that had them.

Maybe they’ll show up in discount bins down the road. *sigh*

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I just got Batman 52 & Deathstroke 35 (one more of these left in the vs Batman arc), waiting for FF1 which I thought was today as well... but it wasn't. Still no Detective 984 to be seen which is stupid. Theoretically next week.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Wait. Did Deathstroke come out today?
Shit. I don’t think I got it.

My DC monthly “pull” is a very short list. Batman, Deathstroke, and Harley(but only for the Frank Cho variant covers). And Doomsday. Which I kinda hate myself because I should NOT be perpetuating that shit.
Debating on adding the 2 Bendis Superman books, but I haven’t read his Man of Steel mini yet.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

jjreason wrote:Man oh man, if you keep buying it's going to take some serious reading to get caught up. I guess that's the fun of it - I'm not sure at this point if I will have read every comic I own. We'll see.
The other thing that sucks is I used to pick up or drop books based on merit. If it was good, I’d keep reading. If not, dropped and I’d try something else. Now I’m just buying stuff to avoid having holes in the collection and I’m probably buying some garbage and missing out on some great books that aren’t the “core” titles.

Luckily, I find a lot of that stuff later on for cheap. But not everything.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Yeah I hate buying for the FOTM (fear of missing out). The urge to keep the collection going is strong. For me this week it was only FF1 Kirby cover & Detective 986. Still nary a 984 to be found so I'll have to shop in Ontario when I'm home next week.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Detective 984 and Catwoman 2 today, since I'm home and have access to my old stores. Couldn't not visit.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I finished up Chip Zdarsky’s Peter Parker The Spectacular Spider-Man run today. And just in time too because apparently he’s leaving in 3 issues.
It went from issues 1-6, then the Legacy numbering took over and it went from 297 up to issue 307 so far. Plus an Annual.
This is a rollicking fun series that never let up on the gas. Zdarsky writes a fun, witty Spidey but doesn’t focus on trying to be fun and witty like some writers do if that makes sense. Some writers try to use Spidey to test out their stand up material. He’s all about writing fast paced stories.
So Peter’s sister/not sister shows up after having stolen some files about all the Super-Heroes weaknesses collected by a rogue SHIELD agency called Grey Blade. Grey Blade is working with the Tinkerer who has collected the same info about villains. Since Peter is Spidey’s “boss” he’s wanted for questioning by SHIELD and has to go on the run. Somewhere in there, he tells J Jonah his secret identity! Then Peter, Teresa, and JJJ all travel back in time thanks to Doom’s time machine to find an Alien AI tech that the Tinkerer is using in the present to cause an alien invasion. They meet teenage Peter in the past and a chain of events makes Peter give up being Spidey. When the return to the present Norman Osborn is running the world. Eventually that gets fixed and Peter stops the alien invasion.

This book has been crazy fun. Highly recommended.

Next up is the Spider-Men II mini and then Peter David’s Spidey 2099 ongoing that ran 25 issues.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I'm not reading the new Amazing Spider-Man, but I like the idea behind the first arc.

It sounds like a very 70s Marvel thing to do, where (Spoilers, duh) Peter and Spider-Man are separated, because of big sciencey stuff like chemicals. It seems like it could be a fun concept to play with for a while, but not too long.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Detective 987. Some really nice covers on Action 1002 almost had me fooled but I stayed strong.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I picked up Detective because I’m gonna start the year long run up to 1000(or 12 issue run...I don’t know if Tec is bieeekly or not).
Has Mark Brooks been doing the variant covers long? Because now I’m thinking I’m gonna have to do some back issue hunting.