MCU Topic

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: MCU Topic

Post by Diabolical »

Recently refinished Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, and Captain America: The Winter Soldier on the road to Infinity War.

Iron Man 3 - It's been a while since I've seen IM3. It's better than I remember. (even though I never hated it) As much as Tony needs Pepper, she really drags a lot of the IM movies down. I still like the Mandarin twist (even more so with the "All Hail the King" One-shot on the Thor 2 Blu-Ray), although I wish they had used IM2 and IM3 to do the real Mandarin/Ten Rings. It was nicely introduced in the first movie. The "Agent Carter" One-shot was a great way to set up the tv pilot.

Thor: The Dark World - much like IM3, I liked this movie to begin with, but it is better than I remember. Like a lot of MCU movies, the villain is the flick's biggest problem. Malekith and the dark elves are simply forgettable. It's the interaction between Thor and Loki that drives much of this franchise. As much as I like Natalie Portman, she's reduced to a damsel in distress. I would have like Marvel to wrap up their story instead of footnoting it, but oh well. Sadly, "All Hail the King" would be our last true One-shot.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - I always think this movie is great, then I sit down to watch it and I realize great is an understatement. This movie still arguably holds up as Marvel's best film. This is the movie that really altered the MCU in a big way. I love how they made Black Widow a crucial part of the Avengers/MCU. I really have to hand it to Marvel - Cap is still a boy scout, but also a bad ass that resonates. I really wish I had no idea who The Winter Soldier was beforehand. My only gripe: the editing makes it look like Zola turned Bucky into The Winter Soldier after he fell from the train in The First Avenger, but Zola was captured on that mission.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Halfway through Ragnarok. Where the humour of IM3 fell flat on me, this stuff has made me giggle a good few times. Not sure why it's landing different. I'm finding the quasi-Stranger Things music distracting. The main point for this post is that we saw the tesseract briefly in Odyn's vault so that location is locked down.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

“I have been falling...for THIRTY MINUTES.”

“You’re the stupid Avenger.”
“You’re the tiny Avenger.”

“I feel like I know you.”
“I feel like I know YOU. That’s so weird.”

“What is that.”
“It’s my disguise.”
“I can see your face.”
“Not when I do this.”

“Let’s do ‘get help’!”
“We are not doing ‘get help’.”

And the best line is Anthony Hopkins’ ‘oh shit.’ Because it’s Sir Anthony playing Loki playing Odin.

I’m gonna rewatch it with the commentary because A. That guy is a hoot to listen to with his accent, and B. I wanna know how much of the movie was just them improv off the cuff. I don’t think much of the movie was scripted.

I’m pretty sure Loki grabbed the Tesseract when his gaze lingered on it.
Last edited by Tom Foolery on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

And done. Did not disappoint, even in light of all the hype - in fact it's right up there with the best of the MCU. I would support the theory that Loki has the cube - that might have even been the reason they encountered what I'm assuming was Thanos' ship at the end there as he may have seen it appear on a scope or something.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Finally visited Wakanda tonight meaning I'm all set to go for Thanos after a few more re-watches which I may or may not get to. Cool movie, got a little over the top toward the end but enjoyable. Worth sticking around to see the second stinger for sure.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

We already saw Loki holding the Tesseract in the Infinity War trailer. And Feige confirmed that is Thanos's ship.

Loki looks like he's not exactly happy, and is surrounded by what look like bodies. My guess is his turn was actually sincere, but he gives up the Tesseract to Thanos in an attempt to save what's left of the Asgardians. Which may or may not work.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Plus, Loki probably looks terrified because he's already failed Thanos and has been able to stay fairly hidden since his failed attack on New York.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Damn, I know there’s gonna be a body count. Loki might get knocked off early in the film to show how powerful Thanos is. I already suspect Nova will be sacrificed in much the same way.

Also, is Jeremy Renner in the movie? Because Hawkguy has been noticeably absent in the promotional shit. He didn’t even get an Entertainment Weekly cover and they made like 75 of them for the movie. I think even Darkhawk and Sleepwalker got EW covers.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

As of Monday March 12th, BP has earned $562M at the 2018 domestic box office. Which is more than the 2nd thru ELEVENTH next highest grossing movies released in 2018 combined. Which is a feat I don’t believe will ever be matched because of when it was released and the ‘competition’ it had at the BO. For posterity’s sake the ten movies are/were Fifty Shades 3 98m, Peter Rabbit 93m, insidious 4 67m, Maze Runner 3 57m, 12 Strong 45m, GameNight 45m, Den of Thieves 44m, Paddington 2 40m, The Commuter 36m, and 15:17 to Paris 35m for a total of $560M. Congratulations, you guys! all together you got second place!

It’s also the first and only Marvel movie thus far to be #1 at the box office for four consecutive weeks.

Keep on truckin’ T’Challa.

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Hawkeye's in it, and is reportedly going by the name Ronin now.
I'm guessing it may be a small role though.

According the official prelude comic, after Cap rescued everyone from the Raft at the end of Civil War, Clint went home and retired (again).
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

And rightly so. Lindsay from Freaks & Geeks has aged quite nicely.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

jjreason wrote:And rightly so. Lindsay from Freaks & Geeks has aged quite nicely.
You mean Velma. Jinkies indeed.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I think that whole RONIN thing turning out to be Hawkeye was a bit of a mis-step by Bendis. The character was plenty cool enough to be their own entity. I even bought a figure. I wonder if they'll try to pull the same shit - Who's this new awesome dude??? and then have him unmask part way through to ooohs and ahhs...... from the 11 people in the theater that didn't know already.

My favorite character in BP was the sister, acting as the Q of the operation. Glad to see her in a few of the promo photos for Thanos. It's really shaping up.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I am hyperventilating right now.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I watched the trailer & shit my pants. Then I changed my pants & watched it again but shit them again. I literally cannot risk a third viewing as all my pants are now in the wash.