So, What comics did you buy this week?

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: So, What comics did you buy this week?

Post by jjreason »

I bought a few this week.

ASM 792 & 793
Moon Girl 26 (Johnny Storm, Human Torch & Galactus are in this arc, don't judge me)
Thanos 15
Jessica Jones 15
Iron Man 595
Punisher Platoon 4

Missed Black Panther 168 so I'm not off the hook yet.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Why would anyone judge you for reading Moon Girl? It’s awesome.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I've only read a few issues, I know it's big in the kids market & they keep publishing because it sells big for scholastic but I have no proper understanding of the character. The first issue in the arc was fine.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Doomsday Clock 2 - a bit confusing to read, but essentially a nuclear explosion brings Veidt & the new Rorshach to Gotham where they are going to seek out Dr. Manhattan who has preceded them. Veidt goes to meet Lex Luthor while Rorshach heads to meet Bruce to see if they can help. A special guest appears at the end with gun in hand & shoots someone.

Guardians 150 - final issue. Haven't read it yet but it leads into another big story featuring Adam Warlock.

Spec 298 - Black Panther cover. Haven't read it yet.

Black Panther 168 - again not read, but I have to decide what I'm doing here. I don't think Coates is leaving as soon as I thought. I hummed & hawed on getting the first issue of the origin limited series as well but passed for now.

Old Man Logan 31 lenticular variant which throws back to Wolvie vs Silver Samurai. Pretty cool cover.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Detective, Action, Batman & Superman - I guess we're up to Action 995, meaning it should almost be time for me to jump off at 1000.

Avengers 675 - done. Cool lenticular cover, but since it's part one of a multi-parter coming out weekly for the next bit, I'm not sure I'm going to read it. Don't want to feel compelled to keep going.

DD 597 - 3 more.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Infinity Countdown: Adam Warlock #1. Sucked in by the Mike Allred cover only to gleefully find out he and Laura did the entire book. Please find a copy to flip through & have a look - just gorgeous.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

A few notables from the past couple of weeks.

Batman: White Knight #5 - Jack Napier's political assault on Batman is working. The city and Gordon have turned on Batman, who's convinced that this is just a scheme by the former Joker. Batman also discovers that his father and Victor Fries were Nazis (you thought it was going to say they were "gay", didn't you?).

Hawkeye #15 - Penultimate issue. As the series' pieces fall into place, Katie and Clint prepare for battle with Madame Masque. I'll be sad to see the series go.

Despicable Deadpool #293 - Rogue tries to talk some sense into Wade and bring him in. Doesn't work. Next up: Cap's turn. I'm trying to decide if I want to end at #300, or end it sooner.

Star Wars #42-43 - The end of Luke, Leia, and Han's trip to Jedha. Boy, they've had a lot of adventures between ANH and ESB...

Star Wars - DJ: Most Wanted - Easily the worst Star Wars comic I've ever read. I hated the pointless character in TLJ, so I'm not even sure why I picked it up. Completest mentality, I suppose. And that doesn't even matter anymore with the release of the Nazi Smurf Thrawn mini-series next week, which I can guarantee will be worse, because...Thrawn.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I also bought some comics this week. I put ‘em in the two long boxes of unread comics with all the others.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I've been keeping up, but I find that discussing them here pushes me to keep buying & I don't need any more resistance to stopping. I have a few issues left of various series to pick up before I'm done. Action 1000, ASM 801, DD 600, Cap 700, Iron Man 600, Spec Spidey 300 & Thor 305 all within the next few weeks.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

With Guardians of the Galaxy done, and Hawkeye wrapping up, that'll be nice to help scale back.
And the Daredevil 600 and Deadpool 300 will be great jumping off points.
I should drop Batman and Detective Comics, as I'm way behind on reading them.
I should rethink my Star Wars buying, also.

My pull list will be fairly manageable

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY - Done
BATMAN - Should drop.
DAREDEVIL - Dropping Soon
DEADPOOL - Dropping Soon
DETECTIVE COMICS FEATURING BATMAN - Should drop
HAWKEYE - Done next month
LAZARUS - Sporadically published
PAPER GIRLS
PUNISHER
SCARLETT - New issues coming from DC eventually.
SERENITY - Sporadically published
STAR WARS - May drop soon.
UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL
VELVET - Done? Last issue was in Mid-2016.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Punisher Platoon 6. Final issue. I hope everyone has been stashing these away, typical of what you'd expect from Ennis & Parlov.

Thor, ASM, DD 599, Infinity Countdown Prime (sucked in by the Granov Wolverine cover), Batman 41 & Superman 41. Haven't read anything on this line yet.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Diabolical wrote:With Guardians of the Galaxy done, and Hawkeye wrapping up, that'll be nice to help scale back.
And the Daredevil 600 and Deadpool 300 will be great jumping off points.
I should drop Batman and Detective Comics, as I'm way behind on reading them.
I should rethink my Star Wars buying, also.

My pull list will be fairly manageable

BATMAN - Should drop.
Tough when you see the art in 41. Jesus H Christ. Anyhow, I'm holding on until issue 50, the wedding. Then done.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

#50 sounds good for Batman, but I need to figure out where to jump off Detective, Its at #974 now and I don't want to wait a year until #1,000. I'm hoping they wrap up a story and have a wedding tie-in issue so I can cut it nice and clean.

And it looks like my Captain America collection will remain small. Chris Samnee has announced Cap #700 is his last.
Waid's a good writer, but unfortunately without Samnee's pencils, I'm out.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Me too. Waid alone won't keep me reading, either (though he has done some really good Cap in the past).

Action & Superman are rebooting with the arrival of Bendis over at DC - I'm not sure if this means the end of Rebirth or not. I'm sure Detective will keep their numbering..... I'm going to have a hard time stopping before 1000 at this point.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I went to the Great Lakes Comic Con yesterday. Its a smaller con, maybe 20-25% the size of Motor City. Lots of decent vendors, so it was worth the trip, even though I didn't buy much. There wasn't much I was truly looking for anyway.
The "celebrity" guests were William Katt, The Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase, a couple of Ewoks, the guy that sculpted Vader's helmet, a guy that once voiced Megatron in a cartoon, Paul Soles (Spidey's voice in the late 60's)
The comics side had Jim Steranko, Jim Lawson (TMNT), Angel Medina, Darryl Banks, Keith Pollard, William Messner-Loebs, and a few other Michigan Con regulars.

I did pick up a couple of things.
The second NYX TPB for $3 - not quite as good a the first mini, but I dug it.
Star Wars: Panel to Panel Volume 2 for $2 - back when Dark Horse had the rights. I have vol 1 somewhere.
Tim Bradstreet Sketchbook for $2 - Shows his early pencils for many of his covers. I love the art process stuff.
A few cheap magnets (Ghostbusters and SHIELD logos) and stickers for my laptop (Artoo, Iron Man, Ron Swanson) - $10
Mr. Bean Pop Vinyl for $10 - Been searching for that bastard for a few weeks now.
And a Pickle Rick and Bob's Burgers Linda Pop Vinyls for Adam and his boy - they've been looking for them both for a little while.

I had my eye on a Marvel Super-Heroes #8 (Squirrel Girl) for $85. I probably could have talked him down a little, but I still think I can do better on ebay.

There was another guy that had 2 beat up copies of ASM #129. He wanted $425 each. Just because they were graded and sealed (4.0 and 2.5), that doesn't mean its not a shit copy. If the 2.5 were half that, I would've had a hard time saying no.

Overall, I spent more money on gas and admission than I did on myself inside, but it was a good way to kill a lazy Saturday.