So, What comics did you buy this week?

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: So, What comics did you buy this week?

Post by jjreason »

Dollar bin finds of the week - Marvel Comics Presents: Weapon X by Barry Windsor Smith, issues 73-84. 99 cents each - I have never read this series that has been relied upon so many times since its publication. The covers alone were worth more than what I paid.
"Something inside me....."
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Holy shit, bro--read that pronto!
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Yep, just finished it. Very glad to finally have it in the old collection, been a long time coming. I guess some part of me assumed they were like $20 issues & I never really bothered to look too hard - these smacked me in the face and demanded to be taken home.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I remember when those issues came out, every page and panel was scrutinized because at that point, Logan’s past was still 98% mysterious.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Frankly there is a lot of wasted space - word wise anyhow. The page count roughly works out to a 4 issue limited series' worth (closer to 5 normal issues but I digress), and you can't compare it to Miller's 4 issue Wolverine series from a few years earlier.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Tom Foolery wrote:I remember when those issues came out, every page and panel was scrutinized because at that point, Logan’s past was still 98% mysterious.
Remember Wolverine #25? The first really good hint we had that Logan might be over 100 years old? That issue was fucking amazing.

Or there was that arc in MCP where Wolverine thinks he's making up a story about a guy who resembles him, carrying knives, fighting some sort of worm demon in the old west... then is shocked when he comes across its skeleton and realizes it really happened. Not as great a story, but definitely a big "holy shit" moment.

But the subtle hint that Logan had claws, even if he didn't know about them, prior to the Weapon X Project--that was absolutely fucking huge.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Yep they fleshed that out (he he) in Origin as well. The first one was worth the read if you haven't done so. I'm still missing part of the second set somehow & thus can't comment on how it was.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

First few in a couple of weeks.

Old Man Logan 31
Cap
Batman
Batman Annual
Action
Detective
Superman
Venom Inc 1 (tricked by an awesome variant cover)
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I'm still way behind on my reading, so I'll only mention a few.

Batman #36

Batman: White Knight #3 - I said it before, but this book is fucking great. It definitely has the makings to be one of the best Batman stories of all time, if it stays this good throughout. In issue 2 it was revealed that the sexed up Suicide Squad Harley Quinn isn't the original. The original Harley had enough of Joker's bullshit and split, so a new chick stepped in and Joker's crazy ass never noticed. Now that Joker is Jack Napier again, the OG Harley shows back up, kicks new Harley's ass, and reunites with Jack.
In issue 3, new Harley is pissed and wants the Joker back, so she becomes Neo Joker, as Jack distracts Batman so he can prove how bad Batman is for Gotham. And when Alfred dies, Barbara and Dick/Tim (it's not really clear which it is, based on the dialogue) realize Bruce is dangerously close to going over the edge.

Captain American #696

Darth Vader #9

Guardians of the Galaxy #148 - Marvel just announced the series is ending with #150, so I might as well finish the ride.

Hawkeye #13 - Hawkguy shows up to help and get help from Hawkeye.

Paper Girls #18
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Avengers 674 & Guardians 147, 148 (because it's ending at 150 as per Diaballlickall's post above).

Avengers 674 is pretty much a must read if you enjoyed the Vision series last year (and I believe most of us did). I usually kinda gloss over stories featuring the High Evolutionary as a villain, they seem to run together. Jesus Saiz doesn't let that happen here - it's a stunning issue. Plus you get an Alex Ross cover. A new & interesting character is revealed plus some pretty dramatic events unfold. I don't think you need the last 4 issues of this arc (Avengers & Champions have been crossing over) to enjoy Avengers 674. Great comic.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Diabolical wrote:I'm still way behind on my reading, so I'll only mention a few.

Paper Girls #18
I'm late to the party & have read TPB's 1 & 2. Very intriguing.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

jjreason wrote:
Diabolical wrote:I'm still way behind on my reading, so I'll only mention a few.

Paper Girls #18
I'm late to the party & have read TPB's 1 & 2. Very intriguing.
I've been enjoying it, but its starting to drag on a bit. Hopefully they start wrapping some things up soon.

Its starting to feel like Morning Glories all over.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

And they're VERY quick reads - I finished TPB 3 in well under 10 min per issue. And not rushing at all.
anarky

Post by anarky »

G.I. Joe, Vol. 2, Take Whatever

Holy shit. I was one of the few people who didn't utterly loathe the first volume, but this is absolute horse shit. Sitterson is definitely a fucking troll who hates Joe and its fans. Quick Kick beating Snake Eyes in single combat? WTF? A whole fucking volume of them fighting goddamn Fatal Fluffies?

And did no one fucking tell this fucktard that Baroness naming herself Cobra Commander is probably going to piss off the actual fucking Cobra Commander? Who's alive, well, and rocking the classic costume in far better comics that take place before and after this? Who edits this fucking shit?
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

They kept going with the latest run long enough to create 2 tpbs? Wow!