How I realized I was over Star Wars completely

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: How I realized I was over Star Wars completely

Post by Ran »

I turned it on late the other night and missed the opening crawl.

When I saw TFA the first time, I wasn't paying attention everything and expected that I missed stuff. The article I read about the title lead to another article that debated the identity of Rey's parents. They listed theories about it being Luke, Ben Kenobi, or Palpatine. There was a quote from Daisy Ridley saying she thought it was pretty clear on who her parents were. So, when I saw TFA this weekend, I was looking into things a little more closely. I was kind of surprised on how they pretty much spelled out both who the "Last Jedi" was and Rey's parents. I guess that's what I get for reading news about Star Wars from Yahoo.

So, the Last Jedi is probably going to parallel ESB just like TFA did with ANH.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Rey also only sees scenes that were seen by Luke (or herself), despite Anakin having the saber longer. And this is the first movie to end with the Skywalker theme. (Two end with variations on The Imperial March, and four with the Rebel Fanfare.)

Abrams also thought it was so important that they show a connection between Rey and Leia that he had Chewie snub Leia.

Also, to all the people claiming it's too obvious for her to be Luke's daughter, dude. It's. Fucking. Star. Wars.

And, in case it's not obvious, Kylo knows. But I don't think Snoke does.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

11 days to go.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Ran

Post by Ran »

I look forward to reading the spoilers. Not sure when I'll get around to seeing it.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I can't believe Chewbacca was Han Solo's father!
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I guess I'm first, so I'm going to say up front I'm still forming my opinion. It's nowhere near bad, I guess I just don't see exactly where it fits in for me just yet. It's a completely overwhelming movie. Completely. I am just going to make a list of points that I'd like to hear thoughts on because I still can't even come close to getting my head around this thing yet.

- the crawl sets of the stage, as per usual... but much to my surprise the Resistance is on the run from a much more powerful first order. First WTF moment as I guess I had assumed they'd be running scared after losing Starkiller Base - somehow that didn't set t hem back at all

- Luke's first hands on experience with the lightsaber......

- Poe's grand standing at the start was a good action sequence, good comedy (as there was throughout, I actually enjoyed the humor here more than usual - we'll see if it grows on me or grows tiresome after another few viewings)

- in that vein Chewie getting ready to enjoy the roast porg almost made me shit my pants

- there are some real significant deaths. Snoke's demise was fucking incredible as was the lightsaber battle with the praetorian guards, just amazing

- Luke's death (yep) didn't hit me the same way Han's did... and I've always been a Luke guy. I guess it was supposed to feel as though he was at piece, and maybe that came across in the movie making. It was beautifully done

- the projection of the Force Astral Form threw me for a loop, but I DID ask myself if Luke was "really there" when he first appeared with Leia. He looked like Flashback Luke... I guess the blue lightsaber was another clue now that I sit here typing, since had already seen its fate play out on screen

- Laura Dern good & Rose Tico good. I'm glad they gave Rose's sister her own figure, that was an amazing sequence

- the reveal of Rey's parentage (if that's the truth) was a relief. So glad not everything has to be connected to the Skywalker lineage, it makes the story so much bigger

- someone confirm with me that the youngling at the end uses the force to grab the broom. I wanted to believe he did but it was subtle, or else I wasn't focusing on that part of the frame. I'm literally 100 percent sure he did, just seeking confirmation

- it was nice to see Yoda back

- Leia's zombie spacewalk was a little much me me, I think I pulled an eye from rolling it too briskly

More to come, can't wait to discuss.
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Still processing.
Some truly great stuff and some absolute shit.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Novelization not out until March 2018??? That's how I get my questions answered! Fuck sakes, Disney. :frus:
Ran

Post by Ran »

I read this spoiler laden article. https://www.yahoo.com/news/star-wars-la ... 56118.html

Sometimes I read the comments to Yahoo news articles just to kill a few brain cells, and the comments from this one didn't let me down. The commenters were not as happy with the film as the critics.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

The more I think about it, the worse the bad shit s inThe Last Jedi seems and the good stuff gets pushed aside.

I'm getting angrier just thinking about it.

Now I'm dreading Riann Johnson's new Star Wars trilogy.

I just hope J.J. can right this ship or at least salvage what's left of Star Wars with Episode 9.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I have thought about it non stop all day. I'm still undecided - it's Star Wars, of course, but it's..... really fucking weird, too.

My theater experience was sadly lacking. For TFA we hit the first screening & the place was PACKED, the energy was insane. I could feel the stress of hundreds of fans as the lights went down. This time we paid extra to be at a fan event where the screening started at 6pm - and the place was barely half full. Not even close to what I was expecting or, frankly, wanting.

I've never been so frequently "checked out" during a new SW movie. I was distracted by the people coming & going, stairway lights, etc.... and when I was checked in, I found myself asking "is this really where this is going right now?" way more often than I ever have before. I think that started with Finn in the plastic bubble with a diaper underneath leaking all over the place in the hallway, and it didn't go to sleep for very long without coming back up again. The 4 huge tits on the space sea lion (which looked more like Luke was popping a huge zit honestly), the afore-bitched-about Leia spacewalk, Rey being dropped off by the Falcon literally right outside Snoke's ship & not having to do very much at all to get on board & Maz's very weird cameo also got me all the way to edge of my ability to suspend disbelief.

Snoke - he looks like he was degrading - any chance this was just one cloned body & they'll recycle that old premise from the Dark Horse comics (cloned Palpatines) to bring him back for Ep IX? Andy Serkis is a big name to let go with a big movie hanging in the wings.... plus they REALLY need to flesh out his backstory - way worse than they did Darth Maul's & Count Dooku's - if his role in this is going to make any sense at all.

I think they really missed the opportunity to put Leia to bed here. She needed to drift off into space but come alive just long enough to use the force to shut the door, saving the people inside the ship. That would have been the right way to send her out. If she's dealt with in an off-screen manner, that missed opportunity will become unforgivable.

EDITED: Fuck me, sorry about posting all that shit without the spoiler protection - hopefully I didn't wreck anything for anyone. :frus:
Last edited by jjreason on Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
anarky

Post by anarky »

So, Kylo was lying through his teeth about Rey's parents, huh?

Snoke's end was both fitting and "holy fucking shitballs, did that just happen?"

I caught Yoda's Theme twice in the score, and obviously know the reason for one. The other was in a different key, and I'm not sure where it was in the film.

Absolutely loved the symmetry of Luke's story beginning and ending with him staring at twin suns. Except it didn't end. He learned the lesson not even Obi-Wan or Yoda learned until too late.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

She called him on that, as her initial reaction, but something tells me no.

100 percent agree - just need to know more. Sadly I think we have gotten to the point where watching the movies just isn't enough anymore - they will explore this in book form for those that care to chase more info would be my guess.

I have no issues at all with this character's story in the movie. Really good actually & I needed that.

Some very compelling arguments for why you should love LJ: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... quels-good
anarky

Post by anarky »

Can everyone just agree that Paige and Rose were awesome?

Actually, a minimal amount of poking around online indicates we cannot.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Paige Tico was amazing because that whole slo-mo bomber scene was fantastic. Until they actually said the word "sister", I was kinda wondering if Disney was getting even further on board the inclusivity thing & were making them lovers - that would have been quite the thing. Rose was a nifty character too, but the disguise scene & their involvement on Crait was so rushed.... they'll have to give us more on them at some point (and by the looks of the Young Readers' books available, I think they already have).