Football

most tv sucks these days, but there are some shining examples of good writing, acting, camera work, etc... we call those Deadwood and Arrested Development. Family Guy sucks ass, though...

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Ran
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Football

Post by Ran »

This year's NFL trade deadline was quite eventful. It was more like the deadline in other sports for once.

Since the Bills fired their entire front office after the draft, they traded Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby and Cardale Jones for Kelvin Benjamin, Jordan Matthews, EJ Gaines and a 2nd Rounder. The guys they dumped are doing nothing for their new teams. Matthews and Gaines are starters. They just got Benjamin today, so we'll see how that one pans out.

Basically, they have got rid of almost every player drafted by the previous GM.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Jimmy Garapolo got traded to the Niners. They’d previously dealt Jacoby Brissett to the Colts. Now both their backups are gone. New England is taking an awful chance on Grandpa Brady staying healthy. Brian Hoyer does NOT count.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Ran

Post by Ran »

Bill Belichick is a genius, so that's all that really matters.

Someone was reporting that Bill Belichick actually wanted to keep Garapolo and move on from Brady, but the owner wouldn't let him.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Holy shit, there were a lot of fistfights in games today.

Who does the NFL think they are, the NHL?

Good news for Browns fans, your team didn’t lose this week for once. It was their bye week.

They should have a draft playoff at the end of the year. The best teams are playing for the Super Bowl. The bottom 4 teams should have a mini playoff to see who gets the top draft next year.

The Niners have Garapollo now, so they probably won’t go 0-16. But hypothetically if both them and the Browns had goose egg seasons, how do they determine which team sucks more and gets the first pick? Do they flip a coin?
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Ran

Post by Ran »

I think ties are broken with strength of schedule first, then conference and division record. If it is still tied after that, then they use the coin flip.

Oh, and I'm pulling for the Lions tonight. I have Stafford and Golden Tate on my fantasy team. As long as they don't get negative points, I win. I'm leaving them in because the tie breaker in our fantasy league is total points.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I'm not even remotely bothered about the Lions beating the Bears as a result, but I HATE the fact that Trubisky led such a beautiful final drive, only to have it all undone by a terrible FG attempt. Fuck sakes. At least let him have the short term feeling of success for all that good work - you can still lose in OT.
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

You could see the entire stadium at Soldier Field just slump in unison in the background as that thing sailed so far fuckin left it might have hit someone on the right side of the field in the back of the head.

Benching Tyrod, in hindsight, may not have been the best idea. I was willing to give management the benefit of the doubt because all those preseason trades dumping their “best” players like Watkins seemed like headscratchers, but then you rocked the season out of the gate. So I was like okay, that seems weird when you’re kinda on a playoff roll here. But you seem to know what you’re doing.

Nope.

Also, Rams, you had ONE FUCKING JOB TO DO, you tossers.

Ran

Post by Ran »

The Bills should fire their offensive coordinator for the play calling, and the D coordinator for giving up 135 points over the past 3 games. We're 17 years into the Bills playoff drought. Typically at this point I abandon hope for the Bills and start watching the Sabres more. The Sabres have the 2nd worst record in the NHL and they look horrible. I'll have to find something else to watch.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

That loss just knocked us out of the playoffs.
The Eagles, Rams, Saints and Vikings are gonna win their divisions.
There’s no way the Panthers, Falcons, and Seahawks all tank the rest of their seasons enough for us to get in.

Shit.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The Bills stayed in the playoff talks with what was probably the funniest game to watch in the last decade or so of professional football.

Sadly, the Browns best chance of not having a goose egg season was whisked away from them by Green Bay in OT.

The Lions are still sorta barely in the playoff hunt. Several things have to align in their universe to squeak in.
1. They have to win out. They have to beat the Bears, Bengals on the road, and GB(who may Rodgers back by then) and finish with a 10-6 record. Losing a game pretty much fucks them.
2. The Falcons need to lose 2 of their 3 next games. They play the Bucs, Saints, and Panthers. I don’t see them losing to Tampa, So really they have to lose those last two games to finish 9-7. If they win all 3, Lions lose the tie breaker because Atlanta beat them this year.
3. The Seahawks need to lose 2 of their next 3 games against the Rams, Cowboys, and Cardinals. Seattle is pretty banged up and Dallas is getting Ezekiel Elliot back. I don’t think the Cards have it in them, so it’s up to the Rams playing IN Seattle. If they win, ‘Hawks finish 9-7.
4. Dallas needs to lose 2 of its next three. Since they need to beat the Seahawks in this scenario, they have to lose to the Raiders and the now Wentz-less Eagles who’ve already secured a playoff spot and don’t need to sweat the final game of the season. So if the Raiders can’t get it done, the Seahawks have to beat them and then lose to Arizona. Which is unlikely.
5. Green Bay I think only has to lose 1 of their last three games, since Detroit has more division victories. So both teams with 10-6 records favors Detroit. Obviously that one loss will have to come from Detroit, who has to win out or all this is pointless. The other two games are against Panthers and Vikings, so they’ll probably lose them anyway. But the Detroit game is the only crucial one. And they’ll probably have Rodgers back by then. Will it be a fully recovered Rodgers? Who knows. But that motherfucker has a habit of pulling victories out of his ass. Fuck that guy.

Do all that and they get the wild card sixth seed behind Carolina(Or the Saints, depending on the NFC South race) which they will then promptly lose because....Lions.

Ran

Post by Ran »

That Bills game could have cost the Colts' kicker $500k. He gets a $500k bonus for making 90% of his FGs. He missed two, which dropped his percentage below 90. Now he has make 5 out of 5 FGs over the next 3 games.

The Bills were looking for people to shovel snow again this week. They play Miami twice and the Pats in NE. They have to win 2 of the 3 games in order to make the playoffs.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Charissa Thompson.

Rrrrrooowwwlll :heybaby:

That is all.

Ran

Post by Ran »

Check out Kay Adams from Good Morning Football on the NFL Network

Or Cynthia Frelund, or Lindsey Rhodes. There are a few others, too. Luckily for them, I don't think any of them are on at the same time as Warren Sapp, Marshall Faulk, or Heath Evans.
Ran

Post by Ran »

You know officiating is bad when the NFL Network and the NFL channel on Sirius say both the overturned TD and a pass interference call in the endzone against the Bills were bullshit.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I think that Lions loss sealed Caldwell’s fate.