The current state of disarray at Marvel

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: The current state of disarray at Marvel

Post by jjreason »

He's drawn the FF before (no, I didn't know for sure I had to look it up - only 2 issues but It looked really good).

So about Legacy #1:

- there was a lot of time (pages) given to Starbrand & Ghost Rider, which I basically glossed over
- the return of normal Wolverine was fine I suppose, great splash page, but it didn't start a fire that I'll need to put out by reading a bunch of expensive comics
- SHIELD being shut down was a bit of a surprise to me (entirely possible I missed a passage late in Secret Event about that)
- nice to see Franklin & Val at the end

So TLDR - it was fine, but it didn't sell me any comics I wasn't already planning to buy.
"Something inside me....."
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

So Legacy first issues start on Wednesday. I'm looking at getting Jessica Jones, Old Man Logan & Punisher: The Platoon.

Punisher I'm wanting to trade-wait on, but I don't think I'll be able to. Maybe the store will trade me for the floppies when it comes out.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

The transitions are gonna be messy, from a sorting standpoint. I feel like I'm missing issues on a lot of series.

Also, I saw the new artist on Cable. It's that awful Malin guy that was ruining Thunderbolts. DROPPED, BITCH.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

As I'm reading the Secret Empire stuff, I see they've introduced another Patriot. It's some refugee kid that's living in the hidden Avengers resistance base with the underground heroes. Somebody finds a sketchbook the kid drew with a superhero costume and decide, "hey, this kid could be a new superhero!' And Tony Stark builds him a new hi-tech shield and outfit and they just throw him into battle or some shit. How fucking dumb is that? That'd be like somebody finding my fanfic of being a professional football player or an international spy and then hiring me to be the QB for the Patriots or the CIA hiring me based on three pages of fiction I wrote.

But then I thought about why they needed to introduce a new Patriot to begin with? Is there something wrong with the previous young black man, Eli Bradley, who was the Patriot in the Young Avengers series, and replacing him with Rayshaun Lucas, the new young black man in the Patriot uniform.
Where is Eli? Why isn't he the Patriot anymore? Has there been an in universe reason for him not being around? I can't recall.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

SIEGE was a bad Marvel event. Was it the beginning of the bad events? I had never read it until today - got a cheap TPB & forced it down all in one sitting. I think it would have come in right after Civil War in terms of events. Not sure why I didn't follow it, but I'm glad I didn't waste a bunch of money chasing any extra crossover issues at the time. Yikes.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Here's an impressive site I found regarding Marvel reading orders. This guy has done a LOT of work (& reading).

https://www.comicbookherald.com/the-com ... der-guide/
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Axel Alonso out as EIC, CB Cebulski in. Can't wait to hear the dirt on this one.

https://news.marvel.com/comics/80896/ma ... tor-chief/
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

jjreason wrote:Axel Alonso out as EIC, CB Cebulski in. Can't wait to hear the dirt on this one.

https://news.marvel.com/comics/80896/ma ... tor-chief/
It’s about time. Not Cebulski getting the job, but Alonso stepping aside. Marvel’s downhill slide over the past few years made it apparent they needed fresh ideas at the top. If your team’s not making the playoffs, you get a new coach and/or GM. Looks like losing Bendis was the final straw.

I wonder if Brevoort declined the job, or if he was passed over again.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Marvel is cancelling a bunch of their titles.
Generation X, Iceman, Gwenpool, Hawkeye, America, and Defenders. And possibly Champions, She-Hulk, and Luke Cage very soon.
I had already dropped several of those. I’ll stick with Gwenpool, Hawkeye, and Champions to their ends.

Dan Slott is also finally leaving Amazing Spider-Man after 57 years. He began his stint on the series in 1957, five years before the character was created, and has putting out seventeen issues a month ever since. His final issue will be 12tothe7thpower.

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Congrats to Dan Slott on his long run. I have not been a faithful reader, only popping in & out a few times over the 100 or so issues to check & make sure I still didn't like what he was doing with the book. The supporting cast he created for Peter at Parker Industries were good characters for the most part, and the whole Superior Spider-Man concept was about as daring as anyone could get on this title. Is Gerry Conway coming back from the mid 1970s to continue his run?
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Well, so much for Legacy.
Marvel announced another relaunch coming soon, like Marvel Now a few years ago.
All the Avengers titles will be condensed in one title with Avengers #1.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Shocker.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I just wish they'd keep legacy numbering somewhere on the cover.

IIRC, they did that once for a while back in the 90's, with the legacy number printed smaller in the corner box.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Yep they did. I was just looking through my Fantastic Fours & there was a stretch there where the number was present & the legacy number was there but faded - then became the prominent number when the book hit issue 500.
Attachments
547616-500.jpg
547616-500.jpg (84.92 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Yeah, dual numbering isn’t that fucking difficult. It doesn’t even have to be prominent on the cover.