So, What comics did you buy this week?

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: So, What comics did you buy this week?

Post by jjreason »

Lots this week it seems like. Some last issues. I haven't read anything yet.

Marvel Legacy 1 shiny special
Thanos 11
Black Panther 18
Thor 23
Iron Doom 12
Generations Spider-Men
Generations Captain Americas
Superman 31 maybe?
Batman 31?
Action latest
Detective latest
Saga 47
"Something inside me....."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I'm getting those Action Comics lenticular covers. I'll probably stick it out just to have the run up to issue 1000.

The plot twist in that book, however, was stupid and I hope it's bullshit red fish.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

I'm pretty much caught up in terms of purchases after falling behind a month or two.

This week only two things I wanted to mention:
Marvel Legacy #1 - So there's been the persistent rumor that Marvel was being a little bitch about Fox having the cinematic X-Men and Fantastic Four rights, so they cancelled FF and brushed the X-Men to the side (including killing Wolverine) in favor of the Inhumans (that they happen to own the Hollywood rights to), right?
After it appeared the FF are a dead property cinematically and like 6 months after Fox killed off Hollywood Logan (for now), Marvel planted the seed for the return of the FF and brings Wolverine back! In the same book! And coincidence of coincidences, the newly resurrected Wolverine has an Infinity Stone! You know, one of those magic rocks the entire MCU is going to be fighting over next summer.

The Punisher #16 - How the fuck is this book being published? Does anyone read this fucking shit before being sent to the printer? Wise cracking Frank Castle? Nobody in New York knows who The Punisher is anymore? Frank gets intimidated by a bouncer?
And the last issue was just as painful, which had Frank asking a homeless vet (who had no idea who Frank was) for help on an "adventure" and ended with Frank kicking back, drinking coffee (or more likely, Chamomile Tea), with his feet up on a desk...while wearing slippers with Punisher skulls on the bottom.
Jesus fuck, save us Jon Bernthal.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I just hope a full episode of the show involves Karen Paige in lingerie. You KNOW they have to bone, might as well make the most of it for the fanboys.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Meh. She doesn't do anything for me. She's pretty bland.
I kinda hate the character actually.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Thick calves. Not sure what it is about thick calves, but I'm down.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Sweet Jesus, it's taking me a month to read just a few issues? I'm so fucking behind.
Here's what I read recently, the N thru R pile.

Nova 2-3, and also Nova 2-3. The Ryan/Smith series was about Sam reconnecting with his dad and them both being Novas, except his dad turned out to be an alien impostor. The most recent Loveness/Pérez series is about Sam and the original Nova Rich Rider teaming up to find Sam's missing dad. Both series only lasted a handful of issues. The Loveness series wasn't bad though. I'll be glad to find the remaining handful of issues I'm missing.

Old Man Logan 25-29. The Maestro has recruited all the hillbilly redneck hulks from OML's original future for some nefarious ill defined plot to take over the world or something. So much wrong here, the least of which is zero explanation how Maestro is here on the main Earth. Or alive. Or how he found the redneck hulks. Or how they're alive. Or anything. It's like the writer came in and said 'oh hey these characters look neat I'll use them lol continuity what's that? Also, Hawkeye and Logan have never been besties, but since alt future Hawkeye was, we'll just throw him in too. Im far less stressed about Deodato phoning in his art than JJ is, but it's still subpar to earlier Deodato work. After this arc, OML is getting dropped for the third or fourth time.

Punisher 13-15. Mostly a series of stand alone stories of "Frank" doing mildly uninteresting things after he comes back to NYC. I read them a few weeks back and can't recall specifics from any issue because....yawn.

Punisher:Platoon 1. One of the currently rare occurrences where I read an issue the same day I buy it. Holy shit, Parlov's art is getting better each time he does a new series. He might be on his way to the definitive Frank artist in my book. This story arc is the direct sequel/prequel to Valley Forge, Valley Forge, which was Ennis' final MAX arc. Great stuff.

Red Wolf 3-4. The middle two issues I was missing from this super short lived six issue "ongoing" about the time displaced Red Wolf from Secret Wars stuck in present day. After this he shows up in Occupy Avengers as Hawkeye's sidekick, but that, too, was cancelled after a handful of issues. Also, I feel like there's a "present day" Red Wolf still running around the Marvel U and he's been completely ignored/forgotten. Too lazy to wiki his ass.

Rocket 2-5. Al Ewing is writing a cosmic Noir pulp detective heist story and it's been pretty awesome. I feel like I gush about Ewing too much, but he's about the only Marvel writer right now, who's consistently great, and sadly all the series he writes only last 12 issues or less so he just keeps bouncing around and not gaining any traction.

Royals 4-9. Another Ewing story with the Inhumans out in space looking for replacement Terrigen but it's culminating in something bigger. Ewing took the cosmic Inhuman wives thing that Hickman started in FF and is expanding on it. As well as the Marvel Boy Noh-Varr stuff Morrison created. He also brought back the Snarks from Power Pack. Lots of underused cosmic toys to play with in the Marvel U and Ewing is taking advantage of much of it. The same way Duggan is over in the new Guardians book. I'm liking cosmic Marvel right now.

Saga 44-47. I was gonna start the S pile on my next binge read, but I started Saga last night and of course blew thru the issue tout suite because they're awesome. So.....it's awesome. Top three books I'm reading right now. "Reading" 'cuz I'm a lazy procrastinating bitch.

Next up, lots of S books. Secret Empire is in the next read batch for sure.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I didn't purchase comics this past week. That's the first time in quite awhile.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Punisher: The Platoon was great...even if I don't understand half the military jargon. Always great to have another Ennis/Parlov joint.

Also Batman: White Knight was surprisingly good so far. I'm going to spoil a majority of the first issue here.
Batman takes it too far with Joker and nearly beats him to death, and the whole thing is caught on camera (with the GCPD just standing there watching). During the beating Joker basically tricks him into shoving pills down Joker's throat, which has an unintended side effect - it cures the Joker. And now Joker, clear headed and now going by his real name, Jack Napier (yup, the first time since 1989), with a strong legal case is planning on suing the living shit out of the city as the victim, in order to save Gotham. He makes a compelling case.
Definitely out of continuity, but I'm curious to see where it goes.

Also, the Captain Phasma mini series is pretty stupid. After escaping the trash compactor on Starkiller Base, Phasma deletes the fact that she was the one that lowered the shields (even though the place was about to blow up anyway). A random First Order officer saw it before she could, so now she's hunting him down to save her own shiny metal ass.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

That does fit with the Phasma novel. She's a self-serving bitch with not a shred of the loyalty she pretends to embody.

That book actually made me kinda like the character.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Batman, Superman, Action, Detective from the last 2 weeks

DD 27 & OM Logan 29, both penultimate issues.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Thor 700
Marvel Legacy 1 (again, my store guy had it pulled for me & I didn't have the heart to tell him I had already purchased it)
SW 37 - last Jason Aaron, regular & Rebel Commander variant (theoretically my "for sure for sure" last issue as we're switching writers)
Punisher the Platoon 1

Missed Dr. Strange 28 & that's going to suck if it's sold out everywhere. This was the guy who was going to save me a copy.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Luckily store B had Dr Strange (and it was 26, not 28 - still the last issue). Also got Batman 33, they got shorted on Superman so that will have to wait until next week. Also splurged & finished by Alan Moore Swamp Thing TPB collection with volume 6. They look so nice on the shelf, now all I have to do is read them.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Uncanny Avengers 28 (just to see Beast & Wonder Man joshing around)
Surfer 14 :(
Punisher Platoon 2
DD 28
Saga 48
Jessica Jones 13 fancy version
Black Panther 166
Free Halloween Simonson Thor special issue
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Lost Light, Vol. 1: Dissolution. They don't write comics like this anymore. Really. A 6--parter that fits nicely in a paperback, but picks up threads from years ago, continues multiple subplots, and establishes new arcs.

That ending with Megatron. I'm going to miss him, no question, but that's so fitting. Extra nice touch that Glitch is in the final crowd scene, meaning he can nurture that character into something other than Tarn. I'd love to get another ongoing, set in the Functionist Universe.

I also must not be a TF fan, because I love Anode and she seems to be extremely unpopular for some reason. She's awesome. And I loved the twist with Lug.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!