Still Spoiler Free! ( For the most part...)

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Still Spoiler Free! ( For the most part...)

Post by Eternal Padawan »

Remember when I vowed to remain spoiler free three long years ago?

It's getting harder and harder with the impending barrage of merchandising; toys, books, CDs with annoying spoiler ridden chapter titles, etc. But I'm still relatively in the dark. I'll admit to having watched both trailers. And I've seen the preview figs on the pegs. In a moment of weakness, I've even read the backs of them. Some things are obvious like Anakin and Obi-Wan's duel, The rise of Vader, preggy Padme, but most of the details are still vague.

I've avioded reading any of my SW Insiders for the past three years. I refuse to hunt down every rumor/plot point like I did for the previous two episodes. I skip pages in Toyfare and Wizard when they show off the latest figures, and I haven't read any of the novels and comics leading up to Episode III. I've never seen an episode of Clone Wars. And regretfully, I'm skipping Celebration III. I'm in the dark, just like the first time 28 years ago.

So to celebrate, I'm going out to Cali in May and witnessing the final installment in awe and wonder at Grumman's Chinese Theatre just like they did then. Me and my best buddy,(who also vowed to remain spoiler free, but is much weaker than me, and has unintentionally provided me with 90% of what I know through inadvertent blabbing about plot points he read on trading cards or websites) are gonna make a week of it. Bathing in the SW glory one last time.

Wish me luck in my naivete...
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

good for you! i'm pretty much spoiler free. i've watched the trailers, and i've seen some stills, but i haven't sought out plot points.

i find it funny that you spoiled the other two when ANYTHING could've happened, but plugged your ears for the one where we can basically piece together what's going to happen anyway!

i seriously recommend the clone wars cartoon, however! it's easy to find on limewire/other p2p clients. i've got all 20 episodes already, and have scheduled my computer to get the next five next week!
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Yeah, I'm interested to go back and read our "Plot Synopsis" back at that other forum and see how close we all were three years ago.

And believe me, after I watch it , I'm going on a viewing and reading blitz. Clone Wars is at the top of the list. Everything except the toys. I refuse. That fucking Ephant Mon fan choice put me over the edge. Haven't bought a figure since and I feel great about it. More money for Legends, Muppets, Sin City and DCDirect.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

the clone wars animated figures are the only star wars toys i've bought in years. i like 'um a lot. other than that, i don't have any desire to collect SW anymore. i feel ya on the ephant mon thing. i was already out of the game by then, but it was getting pretty bad at that point...
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Definitely read Labyrinth of Evil. It's one of the best SW books, and cuts off immediately before the beginning of ROTS.

Obsession (the 5-issue comic mini-series) looks to be good so far, but mainly deals with why the two new characters created for the Clone Wars aren't causing nearly as much trouble in ROTS.
Snigtad Flornbi
christopher walken
Location: I AM NOT CALING U, I AM CALLIN THE LADYS, NOT U, CUZ U R A FAGG!

Post by Snigtad Flornbi »

I hate to spoil you but I think Captain Kurk will die. I saw this commercial with the dude from that musical saying someone was the chosen one and we all know that he's talking about Kurk so why would he said were instead of are unless Captain Kurk is dead?

As long as Spock is still going to get in a light saber fight and Amydolla will get naked like we all heard it should still be a pretty good movie.
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

I went and saw Smokin' Aces this weekend. What happens when you fill every role in your movie with a famous person, whether or not that role needs a famous person in it? You get Smokin Aces. Which, while it wasn't a bad movie, and i would go so far as to call it entertaining and even good, was annoying in the fact that you were pulled out of the story every sixteen seconds going "Oh hey! It's so-and-so!" and then watching that person get shot, stabbed, burned alive, exploded, nun chucked, or poisoned. Except jason batemen, who I'm assuming died of excessive STD.

Now, I definitely expect you all to see this at some point. Is it worth $8 to see on the big screen? Most likely no. Are you a fan of Quentin Tarantino and Guy Ritchie? Then hells yeah, check it out bitches!
"Say Jim! WHOOOO! That is a bad outFIT! Whooo!"--Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." --Megatron,Transformers: The Movie
kidhuman
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by kidhuman »

I will await to see it on DVD.
Seamus ODoyle
bacon

Post by Seamus ODoyle »

This dinnae ha'e a damn thing t'do with yiur mary Star Wars movies, spoiler'r'nae. But my lad Tommy Flanagan were in tha' movie and he kicked all kind of nancy ass. 'strewth!
"Sure'n'll buy ye a pint."
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Still Spoiler Free! ( For the most part...)

Post by Tom Foolery »

I'm still SPOILER FREE!!! Besides the first teaser trailer...

I have successfully avoided the 2nd trailer and all the TV commercials so far(Besides one with Chewie and BB-8 in a phone ad I think. But that doesn't really show anything).
I saw a Target ad where stormtroopers are chasing 3 kids and the kids pulled a "they went that-away" gag and I said 'Holy shit! Do the stormtroopers look that fake in the movie??" to which my daughter replied that were action figures chasing the kids and I said oh that makes more sense.
In the past couple days there've been a bunch of news programs flashing footage from the movie and reactions to it that I have avoided. A glimpse of footage here and there but as soon as I realized I did my best to turn my head.
What's been more difficult to avoid has been the click bait headlines online. I obviously don't click on them, but when a dozen different headlines phrase the same potential spoiler in different ways, it's hard not to make that connection.
I haven't frequented the toy aisle much so I've only seen a couple figures and/or Lego Playsets. But again, nothing much that wasn't revealed in the first teaser.

So I'm hopefully going into this as unspoiled as I can.

I look forward to going back and reading the regular SW topic soon and discussing it with everyone.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

Jargo
christopher walken

Post by Jargo »

I've watched every trailer and looked at every article, scouted out all the images i could find and although there are certain scenes where you can piece together a small sequence and figure out what is going on they've been pretty damn good at not giving anything away of the larger plot. Of course now the movie is opening and the reviews are trickling out... There again, if the experience is as awesome as everyone is making it out to be there might be a shared sense of not wanting to spoil that awesomeness for everyone else. Unless you happen to be that twat who has to shout in the forums something along the lines of "the butler did it!".
I'm not going to see it in the cinema though. Partly because of shit like the sound volume hurting my head, and partly because it's December and everyone is harbouring influenza germs so I'm not sitting in an overheated box with diseased sniffling and coughing morons for two hours. It's been years since the last SW movie, I can wait another few months for the DVD.
I have never read any of your posts, but from what I can learn I should say that for people who like the kind of posts you deliver, they are just the kind of posts such people like.
Whatevah!
Osculum mihi asinum!
anarky

Post by anarky »

I've read something that seems to fall into "not completely implausible, but seems very unlikely" in a few comments, but it seems to me a bit too obvious, maybe even lazy filmmaking, that I tend to believe that it's trolling.

And, fuck it, I've tried to not give a shit. I really have. I'm going to go to a small, cash-only, no advance sales theater in town tomorrow while the local kids are still in school (mine are in another district and out tomorrow). I anticipate maybe waiting an hour at most, but will check by earlier and see if I need to get in line. It's not the best theater, so people tend to drive into one of the nearby cities to go to big chain theaters that have IMAX and better sound and cost three times as much or more. I'll be a cheapskate. If it's spectacular, I'll see it on a better screen with the Missus in a couple of weeks.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I'm waiting until my son is in town so we can all see it together. So probably early next week like Monday or Tuesday.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Well that was fucking amazing. I can't wait to hear about anything folks didn't like - there me be the very odd trivial thing, but the few of those are completely overwhelmed. I pretty much got everything I wanted out of it, and I didn't even know what I wanted going in.
"Something inside me....."
anarky

Post by anarky »

I'll tell you what I didn't like, if you want to know: It was the most predictable story I think I've ever seen in a movie. Most of the acting was superb, somewhat odd for a SW film, but one actor who;s been getting a lot of praise was like a bad parody of what his character is supposed to be. Whenever Finn, Poe, and Chewie weren't onscreen, it couldn't keep my interest. It was a beautifully made film with very little heart. Even the big climax was a "saw that coming twelve parsecs back" moment, and not because some asshole spoiled it in a comment section on an unrelated article a few days ago--in fact, I didn't believe it, because it sounded too goddamned lazy.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!