Questions about DC's relaunch

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: Questions about DC's relaunch

Post by Diabolical »

Apparently the fact that Harley and Ivy have a possible lesbian thing going on is news, even though it's been hinted at for years.
The offensive party is the art. These "sexy" women look like men in drag.
Attachments
harley-quinn-scene.jpg
harley-quinn-scene.jpg (159.22 KiB) Viewed 3848 times
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

They don't even look like men in drag. They just look awful.

And this is the sort of thing that's fun to imply, but spelling it out sort of ruins it. Not to mention the fanboy in me wants to scream, "POISON IVY IS FUCKING POISONOUS!!"
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Here's a very serious question, prompted by my seeing that the Arkham Knight villain from the forthcoming game has already been released as an action figure.

About ten years (give or take) ago, there was a Batman video game released called Rise of Sin Tzu. It showcased a villain named Sin Tzu, who it promised would be showcased in comics, TV, etc, going forward. To my knowledge, this character never appeared anywhere else.

Which would be no big deal. Except this supposedly destined for great things villain was created by Jim Lee, with no co-creator credited. One of the EIC's in charge of the entire New 52 reboot.

So, wouldn't that have been the ideal time to work this guy in, possibly even making his history with Batman go back further? The villain was actually, somewhat strangely for a Jim Lee creation, rather interesting, sort of an Asian (mixed cultures) take on R'as Al Ghul, with a touch of Bane thrown in.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I'm no expert, but I think whichever video game company it was has partial ownership and it's probably gumming up that guy ever being used again.
It's like the Ultraverse characters never being used ever because Marvel doesn't want to pay the owner/creators the percentage theyre owed, but they don't want to give the rights back either. Stalemate and limbo for Prime, Rune, Nightman, and the rest.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky

Post by anarky »

Looking at the June solicits for the post-Convergence... NuDCnU (?), I believe the proper vernacular is "what the fuck?"

It's like they're trying way too hard to be different. And the results look stupid.

"Who is the new Batman?" Well, if his name ain't Jean-Paul Valley, this looks like the biggest fucking ripoff I've ever seen.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I don't see how anyone - ANYONE - could have any interest in reading, let along paying full cover price for that shit. I am even more convinced they're trying to run the ship aground.
"Something inside me....."
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

Well, it's working.
I have no idea what this Convergence thing is, but what I've seen is making me want to drop the two Bat-titles I still buy.

Those two are frustrating enough, since they reference things that are happening in the other books and there's no way in hell I'm going to read them all. For example, apparently Alfred suddenly has an adult daughter that is in on Bruce's secret and helping Bats.
anarky

Post by anarky »

I am to Scott Snyder as you are to Matt Fraction, DB. The guy is a fucking genius when doing his own creator-owned stuff. But put him on my favorite character [Batman/Punisher], and he churns out the most ridiculous bullshit I've ever seen and I want to chop off his hands and tongue so he has no choice but to stop. (Hell, I could say the same for Grant Morrison, but at least I have to admire that guy's long-term master plan and technique when he's abusing the fuck out of Batman. Snyder's clearly making up shit as he goes along, trying to make as big a mark as possible, and both Damian and Zur-En-Arrh make more sense than Bruce's secret undead supercriminal brother or an immortal Joker. Joker being immortal is just fucking lazy.)

I'm with JJ: Warner is trying to get completely out of the comic book business and keep the IP's. Rather than piss off everyone by axing DC Comics entirely, they're pulling more and more shit to chase people away so they can say, "Well, no one buys them anymore."

Back to the stupidity at hand, it looks like a lot of people are speculating that this new Batman is Jim Gordon. I didn't catch it because I was too distracted by the bunny ears (and literally everyone else on the internet has noted the similarity to a bunny, too), but the batsuit (I refuse to capitalize it) has what appear to be red and blue lights on the front. Also, he's positioned on the cover of Detective Comics in a way that makes him look like he's an officially-sanctioned law enforcement officer. And it's impossible to miss that he has a sidearm.

Throw in Snyder saying something about the new direction being the biggest change (guy loves his own hype machine, huh?) for two characters in 75 years, which limits it pretty severely. Folks are saying the Batgirl thing is a bit of a red herring, with Jim learning his daughter is Batgirl and trying to stop her.

And I would be remiss to not note that there will be "hundreds" of Robins, with one of them being a teenaged hacker who broke into Wayne Enterprises' computers at some point in the DCnU. Apparently his last name hasn't been given, but his first name is Lonnie. Also, his online handle is Moneyspider. I can't for the life of me figure out who that is. But I can't help but hope that there's a royalty check going to Norm Breyfogle's recovery.

(Maybe some real-life hacker should use the name Moneyspider and steal a shit-ton of money from Warner Bros, then siphon it to Norm?)
anarky

Post by anarky »

Am I an insensitive, arrogant chauvinist for thinking DC is a bunch of pussies for pulling the Batgirl Killing Joke homage cover?

And there was no fucking sexual assault in that book beyond Barbara and Jim getting stripped naked. Joker doesn't think that way. He was far more concerned with undermining Jim's sanity than anything else.
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

anarky wrote:I am to Scott Snyder as you are to Matt Fraction, DB. The guy is a fucking genius when doing his own creator-owned stuff. But put him on my favorite character [Batman/Punisher], and he churns out the most ridiculous bullshit I've ever seen and I want to chop off his hands and tongue so he has no choice but to stop. (Hell, I could say the same for Grant Morrison, but at least I have to admire that guy's long-term master plan and technique when he's abusing the fuck out of Batman. Snyder's clearly making up shit as he goes along, trying to make as big a mark as possible, and both Damian and Zur-En-Arrh make more sense than Bruce's secret undead supercriminal brother or an immortal Joker. Joker being immortal is just fucking lazy.)
But Fraction did Hawkeye, which almost forgives his sins against The Punisher.
And I have to give Snyder some props for actually trying something new and drastic to shake things up. It doesn't seem like he's trying to play it safe, so everything he does can get retconned and forgotten in 6 months.
anarky wrote:I'm with JJ: Warner is trying to get completely out of the comic book business and keep the IP's. Rather than piss off everyone by axing DC Comics entirely, they're pulling more and more shit to chase people away so they can say, "Well, no one buys them anymore."
You guys sound like the right wingers who swear that Obama is trying to destroy America.
anarky wrote:Am I an insensitive, arrogant chauvinist for thinking DC is a bunch of pussies for pulling the Batgirl Killing Joke homage cover?

And there was no fucking sexual assault in that book beyond Barbara and Jim getting stripped naked. Joker doesn't think that way. He was far more concerned with undermining Jim's sanity than anything else.
This controversy is just stupid. I thought it was a great homage to The Killing Joke. Besides all the sexual assault stuff in TKJ was implied, possibly, depending on how you read between the panels - just like Batman killing Joker at the end.
And it's not like this was the regular newsstand cover - it was a damn variant.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

DC's new campaign is called DC You.

Seriously. DC has straight up turned their own Logo/Brand into a cuss word. I'm not sure how that beneficial to them. At all. But, hey, somebody over there seems to think they know what they're doing.
So without any extra ado, here's some more campaign ideas for down the road.

DC off.
Go DC yourself.
Jesus DC Christ!
Mother DC.
DC DC DC DC shit ass balls!!

And

I wouldn't DC you with Stan Lee's Marvel.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I haven't read Convergence beyond the 0 issue, but from reading the forums over at CBR...i can't figure out what happened. Every post seems to have a different conclusion as to what happened.
They retconned the original Crisis on Infinite Earths? Or something? Seriously, if anyone can summarize what happened without their head exploding that'd be super.

anarky

Post by anarky »

I noticed too that every single poster had a completely different take.

My take is that Didio and Johns are complete fucktards, and Lee should stick to drawing.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

As someone who's been reading comics for 30 years and has a handle on the lingo of reboots and phrases like 'pre-Crisis' and 'post-Flashpoint'... If even I'M stymied and flummoxed by DC's continuity, heaven help "the n00b reader", DCs mythical target audience since 2011.

Part of it is DC being unwilling to label anything other than Earth-1 or Earth-2. So now they've had like 7 Earth-1s. If they maybe started calling the post-Crisis DCU that everyone including me wants back like Earth-7 or something so that readers didn't need a dissertation to figure their shit out, it might help.
But having to write a paragraph of description so people know which Era and Earth your referring to when discussing continuity is fucktarded.

Seriously, as I was reading peoples posts, my head started hurting trying to follow post-pre-Infinite New 52 Convolutedgence tags.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

DC has announced "Rebirth" which may or may not be a relaunch and/or a reboot. Or a little of both, sort of a la cart.
I think they're calling it rebirth because calling it a reboot might scare off the 15 new readers they've managed to scrounge since the Nu52 reboot.
On the other hand, keeping track of a new continuity for a Full FIVE YEARS has GOT to be difficult and like really a buzzkill for the writers and can't we just like start over again man?

Everything is just a jumping off point for DC readers at this stage.