if given the job of EIC, what would YOU do?

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Re: if given the job of EIC, what would YOU do?

Post by Diabolical »

Especially if they did it in February.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Here's an idea.

Waverider feels something catastrophic happen to the timeline of the DCU. It's so bad, it basically knocks him out and leaves him floating around outside the space-time continuum. After a few minutes, he wakes up. Well, a few minutes for him, an eternity for everyone else. He has trouble re-entering normal space-time, so he realizes something truly bad is up. And he finds out that, somehow, Reverse Flash has made the entire universe combine with a pile of dog turds in another universe, which manifested themselves in a re-written timeline as various Image characters. He cries when he looks at what's happened to the superheroes he once idolized, particularly Batman and Superman. So he travels to the beginning of time, beats up some fucking Image villain who I can't name because the villains were even less memorable than the heroes, and puts everything back the way it was.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

That might work, except I'm pretty sure Waverider got offed. I can't remember where exactly. Probably in Morrison's Final Crisis. Wait here, and I'll google him.

I'm back. It was during 52. Mr. Mind, the little worm villain had possesed Skeets (Booster Gold's li'l robot buddy) and tortured and killed Waverider trying to find Rip Hunter(who eventually turned out to be Booster's Son).

Yeahhhh. DC blows.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
anarky

Post by anarky »

So, they made the most ridiculous Captain Marvel villain torture a guy who's practically a demigod to death? That's so wrong on so many levels.

But, fuck it, Waverider's a time traveler to the Nth degree. He could have all sorts of adventures whenever he damned well pleases until he dies.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

For some reason I had the image of The Thing dressed like Hawkeye with an industrial sized bow and arrow on the cover of a comic. Not knowing anything about the story inside, I think would buy that issue.
Also, the Hulk doing a fastball special with Daredevil.

Captain America hanging on the back of Ghost Rider's cycle using his shield like a boogeyboard, with sparks and stuff flying up behind them.

A Magneto Punisher team up.

Deadpool in a Fantastic Four costume.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky

Post by anarky »

Two ideas:

1) (I'm pretty sure I've brought this up before, or a variant thereof, or someone else did.) Peter Parker is going about his day doing very non-Spider-Man things, when, suddenly, classic-looking Venom shows up and starts smacking him around. But something about the way he fights is not Eddie's style. Clearly, someone else has obtained the symbiote, and this person now knows who Peter really is. Pete is lying on his back in an alley, shaking off the daze from essentially being pimp-slapped a few dozen yards, when Venom is there, lurking over him. On the few panels, we see that the symbiote is peeling from this person's face, and Peter is horrified at who it is. Venom says, "What's the matter, Einstein? Don't you recognize your old pal...." Last page (needless to say, close-up of Venom's new secret ID): "Skip Westcott?"

2) Machine Wars might be largely forgotten by the seven people who ever knew about it, but, fuck, how has this guy never, ever showed up in fiction in any continuity?
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Peter is dead. But apart from that....
Wouldn't Skip be really, really old by now? He was rockin' gray hair back when Peter was only ten years old. Now that Pete's an adult, Skip has gotta be in his 70s at least.

The premise of Transformers having "clones" is retarded. Now, if they all came off the assembly line at the same time as the same make/model, that's fine. But cloning?? No sir.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."

anarky

Post by anarky »

I read it more as "decoy." Which sounds like a good idea for Megatron, given that everyone wants to kill him and take his place.

Also, wasn't Skip just a teenager who was colored with white hair?
anarky

Post by anarky »

No doubt it won't happen in the year (at most) until Peter returns, but Skip Westcott making a resurgence with Doctor Octopus in charge of Pete's body could be really, really interesting.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Here's one just for fun.

Warlocks. Warlock, the techno-organic New Mutant hangs out with his new self-friend Warlock, formerly known as Him and sometimes bearer of the Soul Gem. They get into all sorts of cosmic hijinks together. It's a buddy road trip book.

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

I'd bring back mandatory corner boxes in the upper left with the publisher logo, issue number, price and maybe the character.

Fuck this searching around for the issue number every few months shit.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Dammit, I thought up a totally bitchin' idea the other day and now i can't remember it.

anarky

Post by anarky »

Diabolical wrote:I'd bring back mandatory corner boxes in the upper left with the publisher logo, issue number, price and maybe the character.

Fuck this searching around for the issue number every few months shit.
IDW does this on Transformers: Regeneration One and G.I.Joe: A Real American Hero, but it's more for the "retro" appeal. If those titles had continued in constant publication to the present day, they'd have the same shitty cover designs as everything else now.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

If I were EIC, I would foresee this Quicksilver Arms Race between Fox and Disney as turning into something and capitalize on it by giving Pietro Maximoff his own ongoing series NOW. That way, when the fireworks hit, the COMIC Company can be the one to define who he is going forward, instead of a studio or two. And I'd get Peter David to write it.

Quicksilver. He's been an Avenger and a Mutant Terrorist. Villain and Hero and villain and hero again. His Father IS a Mutant Terrorist. His sister commited mutant genocide. His (ex)In-Laws are Inhumans. His daughter's (ex)Stepfather is Ronan the Accuser. He's saves the world more times than you can count, but he hates you because you're. TOO. FUCKING. SLOW.

Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

Another What If...?

What If...Wolverine had stayed with Weapon X? In the original story, the Weapon X people wanted a controllable assassin. But Logan flipped out, killed everybody, and escaped. Eventually settling down with the Hudsons in Alpha Flight, then the X-Men, and then ALL OTHER Superteams ever. But what if their plan had worked and Logan remained as their dependable, docile killing machine? The ripples in that pond would never end, seeing as how he's interacted with EVERY CONCEIVABLE Marvel character ever before he even jammied up and fought Hulk. I imagine it starts with him sabotaging the mission from GSX-Men 1 and killing the Int'l team while they're enroute to Krakoa. Which then kills the original team. Then some disaster which the X-Men prevented happens, or perhaps the Avengers step up and that ends in disaster. In a domino fashion, the entire MU goes to hell and only Frank and Kitty Pryde's mutant son can save the world. Because that kid is awesome.