Samuel L. Jackson announces 'Avengers' cast

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Samuel L. Jackson announces 'Avengers' cast

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

vynsane wrote:hawkeye is obviously more based on the UltimateU version, where he began as a SHEILD agent, as opposed to 616. also, who thinks coulson will make a miraculous recovery? they obviously left it marginally open-ended...

also, my wife convinced me that the mid-credit sequence was the only one so we left before the end-credits. :x
Somebody had stated previously they had signed a 12 picture commitment. Either that was a Red Herring, or your theory is sound.

I wouldn't call the second post credit sequence essential, but it was humorous. And it's fun to work Shawarma into posts randomly.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

I missed the last thing too, but I'm not that pissed about it. Not going back to see just that (and the videos folks have been linking are all taken down by the time I get there, so I still haven't seen it even that way yet). ><
"Something inside me....."
Zaphod
knightrider
Location: CHESTER A. ARTHUR'S WIFE'S VAGINA... WITH THE VINEGAR, BABY!

Post by Zaphod »

i ain't watching this shit, since i heard that they cut emma peel out.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

as for the banter not being up to whedonesque proportions, i think it would have been weird for the entire cast to be quipping the way most of joss' characters do. these aren't his characters - they're all previously-established in other movies (and, obviously, the comics), so for them to all suddenly speak with a different voice would have been a disservice to everything that came before. that said, there were still some notable one-liners. thor: "he's adopted", coulson: "even i don't know what it does... oh, that's what it does", stark: "his first name is agent, actually", "i really like how you turn into a big green rage-monster" it's hard to tell how much of it was written and how much of it was off-the-cuff. if we know anything about robert downey, jr. it's that most of his lines were probably rewritten. on-set. by him. but i'm not familiar with how much ad-lib the rest of the cast is comfortable with. according to ScarJo, there wasn't as much on-set "new pages" being handed out as was the case on iron man:

the back-and-forth between RDjr and ruffalo was fantastic, they're like two sides of the same coin - both brilliant scientists, but one is over-confident and flamboyant to a fault, and one is under-confident and meek to a fault. the subtleties to ruffalo's performance outshine those of both eric bana AND ed norton, which is really quite the feat, and the effects for this rendition of the hulk completely outstrip the past offerings (the first one now looks like shrek in comparison, and the one from 2008 looked like it was always dirty for some reason). however, it's the fact that such an understated performance (when he's banner, anyway) could simultaneously play a justified second-fiddle to RDjr in-universe, but be so compelling to the audience that it commands their attention that truly shows ruffalo's gift for acting. he's definitely been a steady player for the past decade, but i think this was his spotlight moment and, much like 'iron man' did for RDjr before him, this performance will catch the eye of a LOT of people unfamiliar with his work.

also: if the next Hulk movie doesn't star mark ruffalo and isn't written/directed by joss whedon, no force in the universe would be able to pull marvel's metaphorical head out of its metaphorical ass - at least in regards to that particular character. while i've enjoyed both the previous outings for what they were, THIS is the version of the character i want to see turn into a franchise.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I would agree Vyn. A Mark Ruffalo Hulk film helmed by Whedon would be a no-brainer - but sadly there are no brains at Marvel & hence it won't be a priority I don't imagine. As far as Banners go, I did quite like Eric Bana, and didn't really give Edward Norton a chance (I watched that movie somewhat...ummm... impaired by alcohol let's just say and was very unimpressed - I owe it another chance). Even a Hulk team-up film with Iron Man to take the pressure off would be great.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

jjreason wrote:As far as Banners go, I did quite like Eric Bana, and didn't really give Edward Norton a chance (I watched that movie somewhat...ummm... impaired by alcohol let's just say and was very unimpressed - I owe it another chance).
'The Incredible Hulk' was pretty much a remake of 'Hulk', but with less Angst Lee and a little more tank punching, plus the whole "second movie in a superhero franchise where the hero tries to get rid of his burdensome powers" trope. The tradeoff between not having batshit insane Nick Nolte in 'TIH' was also not having awesomeness incarnate Sam Elliot as T-bolt Ross. William Hurt was passable in his stead.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I think Ang Lee's Hulk is not part of the Avengers continuity, and Incredible Hulk is. Ang got too wrapped up in figuring out why the Hulk would realistically be able to happen. Who gives a poop? Gamma Rays are a fuckin' macguffin. Just show us the big green dope smashing shit. Nobody gives a rats ass about your starfish and your fucking emo daddy issues bullshit.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

jjreason

Post by jjreason »

We've gone over this ad nauseum, but the fall down for both Hulk 1 and Superman Returns was not having the hero smashing & bashing before the opening credits were over. The no-minds need action off the hop to stay tuned in, neither of these provided it. I personally liked both of them because I felt gratified when the hero showed up - the transformation in Hulk 1 was terrifying & engrossing, the first super event in SR was breathtaking.

As far as the Nick Nolte character & the whole "daddy issues" concept, I don't need that in my Hulk movies either to be honest - but I would be bored as shit with 2 straight hours of him throwing helicopters at buildings. There has to be a science angle.
Tom Foolery
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Tom Foolery »

I don't mind a science angle either. But it can't grind the damn movie to a halt.
"No Tom Foolery today, Ron. I'm tired of looking at your dreadful, speckled mug."
"Why do you hurt me in this way, Harry?"
”It’s a grid system motherfucker. Eleven up and one over, you simple bitch.”

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

unlimitedpudding wrote:
anarky wrote:Still ain't seen it. Turns out, this is one everyone wants to see, so I might actually get to see it. :)

Can't wait for the "Hawkeye ass-abuse by a gorilla" scene that has to be in there, given the positive buzz.
In the past you've made several references to non-consentual butt sex with apes. The adult male gorilla's penis is only 2 inches long, so it may not be as unpleasant as you hope. In the future, I suggest you go with rhino (2 feet), bull (2.5 feet) or giraffe (4 feet). For future reference, use this chart.

Or, just ask Zaphod because he can identify animal's penis by taste.
How did I miss this post?

I'd prefer Hawkeye to be on the receiving end of all the animals. Maybe starting with the giraffe, then moving onto the gorilla, who punches him because his distended asshole can't provide the gorilla any satisfaction.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Zaphod
knightrider
Location: CHESTER A. ARTHUR'S WIFE'S VAGINA... WITH THE VINEGAR, BABY!

Post by Zaphod »

i miss all of unlimitedpudding's posts. i have a plug-in on my browser that's alot like adblock, only it blocks bullshit from stupid idiots.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

You really must not see much when you're online then.
Sleazer
megatron

Post by Sleazer »

Vyn if you want to see Ruffalo in a truely Incredible movie, rent In The Cut...where he goes full-frontal and licks Meg Ryan's asshole (before she started bumping it with John Mellencamp).
Snigtad Flornbi
christopher walken
Location: I AM NOT CALING U, I AM CALLIN THE LADYS, NOT U, CUZ U R A FAGG!

Post by Snigtad Flornbi »

I HAEV NOT SEEN THAT BUTT HEAR IS VANSYNE LIKING THE COW'S ASS WHOLE!

NOW THAT IS A GOD DAM GAYE ROBAT!!! LOOK A THAT FUCKIN DICK ON HIS HAND, HE PROBLY SUX IT EVER NITE CUZ HE IS A GAY FAG LIEK U FAGGETS!! MAN, U FAGS LIEK ROBAT DONG HANDS UP UR GAY ASSES DON'T U, HA HA HA HA HA HA I NEW IT!!!
Snigtad Flornbi
christopher walken
Location: I AM NOT CALING U, I AM CALLIN THE LADYS, NOT U, CUZ U R A FAGG!

Post by Snigtad Flornbi »

Hawkeye wrote:
anarky wrote:Fuck Hawkeye.
Your mother already did.

Zing!
HIS MATHER MUST BE MISTER TEA WITH HIS GAY HARE!!! I NO BE CUZ UR A FAGG!!!!!!!

FUCKEN FAGGET!!!!!!
NOW THAT IS A GOD DAM GAYE ROBAT!!! LOOK A THAT FUCKIN DICK ON HIS HAND, HE PROBLY SUX IT EVER NITE CUZ HE IS A GAY FAG LIEK U FAGGETS!! MAN, U FAGS LIEK ROBAT DONG HANDS UP UR GAY ASSES DON'T U, HA HA HA HA HA HA I NEW IT!!!