Questions about DC's relaunch

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: Questions about DC's relaunch

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Since I had already made the decision to not purchase any of these, I didn't really pay attention to the quantity that my LCS had offered of each of the new issues. But now that JJ has mentioned his guy didn't have enough, if I think back, I can't recall any of the DC stacks being higher than 5 issues. Maybe the Action and Detective piles, but the rest of them were all pretty short. I wonder if thats indicative across the country? Are Retailers not behind this thing? That makes me smile if its true.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

Bah they'd limit the print runs to ensure sellouts too - as suggested by Chuxnarky someplace.
"Something inside me....."
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

Well, I think one of their selling points to Retailers was that the first three or four issues of each title were returnable. This would be an incentive to OVERorder and pump up their number for a couple months. Then they could falsely brag about how their books were the top-selling books in September (If Comic Shops ordered 250,000 copies of Justice League #1 and then returned 240,000 copies in December, DC could brag about the first number, and look up in the sky and whistle at the second one...) Apparently (and this is based on the limited research done by looking at your situation and mine) the Retailers didn't bite.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

If Daredevil's Pigeon Army becomes a meme, I'm totally calling credit for it.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Batgirl and Action have gone to third printings now.

Seriously, they must've under-printed these books. If they're fully returnable, why not print a shit-ton more and keep the originals available? Because you want them to look hotter than they really are.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

My comic guy ordered ONE 2nd printing of Justice League. One. It was so pitiful sitting on the rack all alone, I almost pity bought it. And it was a cool cover design. Except it had all the new costumes on it and they look so fucking atrocious, it reminded me of all thr reasons I'm skipping this asininity in the first place.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Amanda Waller is now a hot, skinny, apparently college-aged woman who wears low-cut blouses without a bra and sports THO's.

Somehow, this does not elicit the same feeling of power and intimidation as a huge, older black woman who looks like she'd beat the shit out of Superman with her bare hands if given half a chance.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Is Snigtad Flornbi writing for DC now?

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/20 ... superhero/

A gay Mexican kid wearing bright pink. On the one hand, I respect that everyone can be represented. On the other, larger hand, this is just ricockulous. A super-flaming gay stereotype from a small village in Mexico where everyone was accepting of him, because everyone knows Latinos and people from small villages in third-world countries are always the most accepting of gay people, right?
To that end he grew up in an angst-free environment. He was born out of the closet and so he has a very refreshing outlook on life.
Because, hey, gay people know at birth they're gay and are trying to hide it when they're in diapers? Scott Lobdell remains the talentless hack he's always been.

Snigtad, why are you writing this shit under your pen name and Alan Grant doesn't seem to be able to get work?

And, really, can we get just one more fucking "Pied Piper" gay character? Any of you who read Flash in the 1990s know what I'm talking about--it just came up in conversation one issue that he was gay, and nothing was different from how it'd been before. Even Batwoman, though I understand it became one of the better DC titles of late, was founded on the "And guess what? SHE'S A LESBIAN!!!" angle. Big frickin' deal. Superman is Superman whether he's fucking Lois Lane or Jimmy Olsen.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

I think any "announcement" about a character's sexuality is disingenuous. Do we ever get press releases about a new character and they say "And guess what?! He LIKES CHICKS! AWESOME! Whoohoo!"
anarky

Post by anarky »

And now Batman is absolutely, no question about it, fucking Catwoman.

If not for a few names like "Giffen" and "Azzarello" to be found on some of the books, I'd think they handed the reins entirely over to fanfic writers. Even then, I'm not sure fanfic writers aren't editing Giffen's and Azzarello's books.
Batman
moderator terror squad reserve member

Post by Batman »

Lies. All lies. I would never consort... with an arch-fiend like Catwoman. And, even were I to do so, I would never... discuss it, as this is not how a gentleman composes himself. If there's one thing I want to impress upon my young ward, Robin, it's that we do not discuss in public what goes on... in the Bat-Bedroom, no matter how hot, twisted, or disturbing it may be, particularly... to young men who dress as Robin Hood and play "hide the arrow" with men in capes. Not that such a thing has ever occurred, of course, just that my manners would not permit me... to disclose it.

That Marsha, Queen of Diamonds, however, is... another story. I've... hit that many a time, and it was never... censored by a "K-POW" or "WHAM," if you know what I mean.
:bats:
anarky

Post by anarky »

So, no real discussion about the finale of Catwoman #1?

I'm against it--not rabidly so, but against--for a few reasons. Mostly because Batman should be too strong-willed to be seduced by a hot woman. Sure, it's been hinted he's done a little sumpin'-sumpin' with Catwoman before, but in this continuity, they don't know each other's secret identities! I'm not saying Batman is superhuman in his willpower and abstains from sex altogether, but, really, boning a supervillain he doesn't know? That's about as wrong as Kevin Smith saying he pissed his pants.

It's like the current batch of writers are trying too hard to get away from the way Batman was portrayed in the post-Crisis universe by making him silly (Grant Morrison) or a parody of himself (this and Kevin Smith).
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

I don't see the big deal. Its always been heavily implied but never 100% acknowledged. But now it is.

And I always thought the Kevin Smith thing was blown way out of proportion.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
anarky

Post by anarky »

He said Batman pissed his pants.

I don't see how that can be blown out of proportion. It's like a bad Clerks joke shoved into Batman.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

anarky wrote:So, no real discussion about the finale of Catwoman #1?
DC Comics ended in August, so there's nothing to discuss.