Why would they do it this way?

uh, y'know, the sounds that sound good together... sometimes... and sometimes sounds like the disgusting "squish squish" sound Slicker's mom makes whenever she walks

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Why would they do it this way?

Post by anarky »

Okay, I'm a bit confused about the way the Black Crowes are handling the release of their new album. Even if you don't like them, see if you can spot the logic here.

They're no longer on a major record label and release everything themselves. Luckily for them, they're one of those bands who has a long enough track record of great music (provided you like that genre, of course) that they can actually sell more than when they were reliant on the corporate model that saw them as dinosaurs and didn't promote them much. Their new album comes out on Tuesday.

In total, it's 20 tracks. I can't tell yet how much it'll be, but it's available for pre-order on Amazon and iTunes, likely in the $20 range. The CD is $10. Here's where it gets weird: only the first 11 tracks are on the CD. But if you buy the CD, you get free downloads of the other 9. Since they're free, why not just include them on the CD? Why cater to people who want CDs, but only give them half the album in that format and still make the cost include the others?

Weird.
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
vynsane
master of the universe

Re: Why would they do it this way?

Post by vynsane »

wait... what?
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

Buy the album digitally, $20. Get all twenty songs.

Buy it in CD, $10. Only 11 songs on the CD, but the other 9 are a free download.

Why not put the whole damned album on CD or not offer it physically at all?
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Senor JabbaJohnL
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Senor JabbaJohnL »

Could it be that there's too much music to fit on one CD, but they didn't want to do a double album? Or that they wanted to just have the "official" album on the CD itself and have the others just be considered a nonessential bonus?
Shit. I can't think of a good signature.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

anarky wrote:Buy the album digitally, $20. Get all twenty songs.

Buy it in CD, $10. Only 11 songs on the CD, but the other 9 are a free download.

Why not put the whole damned album on CD or not offer it physically at all?
but... if i buy the physical CD, i get all 20 songs (half on-CD, half download) for half the price of buying them all digitally? that doesn't make sense. there's gotta be a full-album download that's 20 digital songs for $10. otherwise no one's going to buy the digital versions except piece-meal. which, i guess, may be their point... all in all, it looks like a ploy to get more sales of the physical CD by rewarding this behavior.
Life is short. STUNT IT!