The Mist

movies are cool. here is a place to talk about how cool they are. or maybe how much they suck, sometimes. like that fucking piece of shit 'mac and me'. worst fucking movie ever, a two-hour ad for fucking coca-cola.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

The Mist

Post by Diabolical »

After doing a search I see that UK is the only one to see and post about The Mist.
Anyone else seen it?

Recently I've come across a few glowing reviews of it online, which inspired me to pick it up.

Based on a Stephen King novella, directed by Frank Darabont (a man who knows his cinematic King) and starring Tom Jane, The Mist is a throwback to the monster flicks of the 50's (or the Twilight Zone).
After a rough storm rocks a small New England town a mysterious mist (hence the clever title) engulfs the town, killing anyone that dares to go outside and trapping a group of post-storm supply-seeking residents in grocery store.

Watching it, I could this movie being used in Psych/Soc classes as the residents begin to take sides against each other. Morons Fans of reality shows might really enjoy that aspect of it, but I liked the mystery of it all.

I picked up the two disc edition that I've yet to watch, but it comes with a black and white version of the movie. Based on the reviews I read it makes it a totally different film, yet nothing but the color has changed.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
RoIIo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Re: The Mist

Post by RoIIo Tomassi »

I HATE this movie. I LOVED the novella, and Frank Darabont's nihilistic reimagining of the ending is so grotesque to my eyes and imagination that just thinking about it makes me want to drive to his house and punch him in the nose so hard he gets two black eyes from it. I hate it so much that even though I loved Shawshank Redemption and Green Mile, I never want to watch them again because Darabont fucked up The Mist so badly.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!"
Diabolical
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by Diabolical »

The ending is that different?
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Rollo Tomassi
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by Rollo Tomassi »

My god yes. The original ending was open ended and mysterious, with a glimmer of hope.

The movie ending is like apple coring your own penis off, then calling the cops and anonymously telling them you've assaulted all the old women at the nursing home across the street. In other words, stupid and painful.
"Say Jim! Whoo! That is a bad outfit! Whoooo!" -- Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." -- Megatron, Transformers:The Movie
Sleazer
megatron

Post by Sleazer »

I loved the ending and thought the movie was decent overall.

I'd like to see it in b/w because I bet the CG looks less goofy.
UKWildcat
christopher walken

Post by UKWildcat »

Sleazer wrote:I loved the ending and thought the movie was decent overall.
I concur. Though I enjoyed the movie overall.

Never did read the novella.
"Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery."