Alan Moore

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

Seamus ODoyle
bacon

Post by Seamus ODoyle »

Ach! Alan Moore is nae but a douche Scotsman what likes to prance around in dirty unners. Sure'n he can go fuck himself back to his own island! Saints preserve us!
"Sure'n'll buy ye a pint."
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Post by Eternal Padawan »

I haven't read Watchmen in at least a year. And I don't know where my copy is. Do I buy it again? Or should I spring for the Absolute Edition?
"Say Jim! WHOOOO! That is a bad outFIT! Whooo!"--Pimp, Superman The Movie
"You're an idiot, Starscream." --Megatron,Transformers: The Movie
jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Post by jjreason »

I'd spring, but only if I could find a dirty cheap pre-read copy. Those things are expensive! I was at one point looking to sell my original Authority run to finance the first hardcover..... but what's the point. The comics WILL do fine.
"Something inside me....."
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

In case you missed it....

Post by anarky »

...Episode 1907 of The Simpsons ("Husbands and Knives") is not only the funniest episode in ages, but it has Art Spiegelman, Alan Moore, and Dan Clowes as themselves in what may be the best celebrity guest appearances on the show since, well, possibly even Aerosmith in the classic "Flaming Homer" episode from ages ago.

How can one argue against the three of them revealing themselves to be muscular superheroes (including a Maus mask for Spiegelman!)?
MooreClowesSpielgman.png
MooreClowesSpielgman.png (195.26 KiB) Viewed 5172 times
Watchmenbabies.png
Watchmenbabies.png (278.25 KiB) Viewed 5172 times
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical

Re: In case you missed it....

Post by Diabolical »

The gag with Spiegelman, Moore, and Clowes was a funny idea, but for the most part, poorly executed.
The episode was like any other Simpsons episode in the last 10 years...the definition of mediocrity.
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
Sleazer
megatron

Post by Sleazer »

Who?
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

MAUS IS IN THE HOUSE!

and jack black as the new "hip" comic book store owner cliche counterpart to comic book guy's old "dumpy, grumpy" comic book store owner cliche... awesome.
Life is short. STUNT IT!
anarky

Post by anarky »

Sleazer wrote:Who?
They're comic book guys. Only us cool kids know who they are.
Diabolical wrote:The gag with Spiegelman, Moore, and Clowes was a funny idea, but for the most part, poorly executed.
The episode was like any other Simpsons episode in the last 10 years...the definition of mediocrity.
C'mon, not even a smile for "Maus is in the house"? Can anything make you happy? No, and you wanna know why? You're a hater. You need to stop hatin'. :P
*--For behavior unbecoming anyone, perpetrated in real time over an extended--AH, FUCK IT! MORE MALIBU, BITCHES!!
Diabolical

Post by Diabolical »

anarky wrote:
Diabolical wrote:The gag with Spiegelman, Moore, and Clowes was a funny idea, but for the most part, poorly executed.
C'mon, not even a smile for "Maus is in the house"? Can anything make you happy? No, and you wanna know why? You're a hater. You need to stop hatin'. :P
I only hate what needs hatin'. Besides I said "for the most part, poorly executed."
"As they say in China, 'Arrivederci'!"
*For the creation of the Golden Deuce Award.
jjreason

Re: Alan Moore

Post by jjreason »

Doing a Watchmen re-read this weekend and I'm on issue 5. It's unbelievable, in case any of you had forgotten. Unbelievable.
anarky

Post by anarky »

Re-reading Watchmen myself. You can tell how good a book is by how it holds up to re-reading. If you can't get through it, it wasn't that good. If it's as enjoyable the second time, it's a good book. It's a great book if each subsequent re-read is better than the last.

I can tell Watchmen is one of the few superhero comics to truly be a great book. I'm amazed at how much I'd forgotten, and it's more "fun" (for lack of a better word) to look for details and follow the character development more closely than worrying about the giant squid thing.

The irony of all the characters is absolutely amazing. I'd not really noticed before how Rorschach is an ultra-conservative, yet is driven to be an outlaw by an ultra-conservative state. Or how so many of the characters respect the Comedian, even though they all seem to hate his guts.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

I have never really understood the symbolism of the [first purple block], but it's odd enough to stand out in your mind after you see the art, that's for sure.
JON
sloth

Post by JON »

I'm thinking about getting Watchmen and reading it before seeing the film. I never read it. I've always heard that it is good. That'll be the first "comic" I've purchased in about 15 years.
KISS MY ASS! kISS MY ASS! I'M THE BIGGEST HATER!!!
anarky

Post by anarky »

It's very good. I just was talking to a non-comics friend who read it and agreed it one of the very few graphic novels that is a great piece of literature.
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

just finished re-reading it this morning. going to see it tonight. definitely got more out of it this time around than the first (and only previous) time reading it. think i picked it up about 10/11 years ago or so.

damn, man...
Life is short. STUNT IT!