Fantastic Four.

comics rock. talk about them here. now. or just go to the "corn" section and wack off. i'll understand. i'll just sit here and read my spider-man comics.

Moderators: Batman, Zero, John Madden, Bob Ross, General Zod, Richard Simmons

jjreason
(includes alternate sneering hissy fit head sculpt)

Fantastic Four.

Post by jjreason »

Marvel's first family has been getting a nice workout over the past year or so from Carlos Pacheco. I recommend checking out his work with Jeph Loeb which started in the current volume at issue 36. Pacheco is blamed somewhat for rehashing John Byrne's work on the title, but what better source could you use for influence?

FF. Monthly by Marvel. Beautiful Pacheco art and stories that are helped along by dialogue maven Loeb. Worth the 3 bucks. Check it out.

What does everybody think of this title? It's seen a lot of ups and downs since 1961.
Jedi Knightrider 3000
sloth

Post by Jedi Knightrider 3000 »

i didn't go in for FF really ever, 'til the FF 1234 miniseries by jae lee and grant morisson. when i heard about the new push on this book with waid and weiringo, and it being only 9 cents last month, i decided to pick it up. i love waid's writing, and for a while, wieringo was the only artist that was getting spider-man right, so i figured for 9 cents (actually, my store was giving them out for free...) what do i have to lose? i really like the characteriziation and the art. i am surprised how in two consecutive issues, however, they used the word "ass." i figured this for an all-ages book, and here is a (not very necessary) use of an explitive. i dunno...

jeph loeb is awesome... i'm not sure if i will pick up his and jim lee's batman or not...
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

The characters are solid. The book has nearly unlimited potential, as do most of Marvel's mainstays. Thank God they've actually been pursuing A list talent to make the Silver Age books as good as can be these days. Marvel might be as good right now as it's ever been.
anarky
sometimes not actually existing

Post by anarky »

[se] Maybe I might check this out. I'd written Marvel completely off about ten years ago, but I must admit that (aside from rendering the classic DeMatteis/Buscema Spectacular Spider-Man stories null and void) the new Spidey series looks not bad. I've always thought the characters have the most potential, but weren't used very well in the past several years.

Besides, Wieringo rules! I met him at several conventions before he hit the big-time, and he was a nice feller. (I assume he still is.) I've got the original art from this awesome two-page spread of Flash and Nightwing from one of his Flash issues, about eight or ten years back.
mabudon
I HAVE THE POWER!!!

Post by mabudon »

aww, I thought youse were talking about silver age stuff... King Kirby and Sturdy Steve et al....
Ditko is my favourite artist to ever draw Spidey, his weird elastic style of illustrating action art was possibly the most kinetically charged work ever put down....
Kirby's FF was awesome, doc dooms machines looked most menacing when drawn in the classic "Kirby-chanics" style, where you couldn't tell what the device did, but it sure looked dangerous... ahh the old days, when comics weren't all "ARRRRGGHHH"
I wish there were more "1963" comics these days....
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Check out Marvel's X-Statix with art by Allred. Very, very classic looking.
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Post by Eternal Padawan »

whoa...ghost town here at vynsane central.

Did Grimm really fool anybody just by putting on a trenchcoat and shades?

He's a big freakin' orange rock dude!! I don't think a trenchcoat's gonna cut it in the disguise dept.
Jedi Knightrider 3000
sloth

Post by Jedi Knightrider 3000 »

the newest story arc from waid/weiringo is over with the 500th issue (from old continuity...) and this arc has been INSANE!!! check it out, if you can... the new doom is even more ruthless and pitiless than ever, and it seems to be a new era for mr. fantastic, both intellectually and personally... can't wait to see what happens next!
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

I got the last two issues. ( 499 and 500). Waid and Weirengo are both leaving after 500 yeah? I thought I read that at the Marvel website. Some open letter from Quesada about "creative differences" between Waid and Bill Jemas. I dunno.

Doom as a mage? REED as a mage?? That'd be kinda cool if he kept up with that, became Strange's apprentice or something. Sometimes Marvel gets stuck in a rut with the staus quo of it's characters. It needs a good ruckusing up every once in a while. I'll maybe pick up the next few issues, but this title ain't as exciting to me as some of the other Marvel books right now.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Mark Waid left an imprint on this book during his short tenure - and he left one on Reed's face, too. Wonder what's going to happen next?
vynsane
master of the universe

Post by vynsane »

yeah, too bad the editor of the book took him off, thinking that HE himself could do a better job... GUH!
Eternal Padawan
D.O.A.

Reed's gonna start wearing Doom's mask.
501 comes out tomorrow (July 30th 2003) so i guess we'll see.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

That's kinky. Imagine Sue's horror the first time Reed tries to saw one off with her while he's wearing that thing......
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Authoritative Action part II dropped today, I haven't read it yet. Part I was crazy - Reed has assumed control of Latveria!!! Waid is going out with a bang, I guess.
jjreason

Post by jjreason »

Authoratative Action part III ended with Reed having used Doombots to stun Johnny and Ben after they located the HQ of the Latverian resistance cell. Freaky - EP you called it. Reed is turning into Doom, all that's left is the mask. Funny thing is Sue seems to be down with the whole thing. Im still really keen on this book.